E150

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
I was told you could not put a slide in on an E150 due to load. Looking to put an SS Rage into 2003 E150 is this a no-no due to load or some other reason??? Any input at all?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was told you could not put a slide in on an E150 due to load. Looking to put an SS Rage into 2003 E150 is this a no-no due to load or some other reason??? Any input at all?

how much does the Rage weigh?
isn't that their bitty unit?

if so, and contingent on how much other gear you carry, a half ton can work .
That van should be right around 7200 GVW if I'm not mistaken
If heavy duty, might even be 7700
Look at the sticker on driver side door post

You're good for 1200-1500 pound everyday payload
be sure to use the best tires you buy, fill to max PSI and rotate them religiously

wouldn't some helper springs take care of that?

It's not so much the suspension, Charley
Nor the frame, drive train and brakes.... as Ford builds the most robust 1/2 trucks on the market .
hell their brakes on their 150 are as heavy or heavier than a 3/4 ton rAm dUdge truck
(to dUdge's credit, they did upgrade their brakes from the tin-willy JOKE of a system they started out with)

but rather, It's the 15" tires that are that are the weak link .
a 15" tire can only haul so much weight.
It's actually the tires that are the limiting factor on most trucks
example, a one ton single axle truck has a GVW of 9400 give or take
That same truck w/dual axle jacks it to 11,000+

..L.T.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Able 1

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Total weight with all equipment (waste, fresh water tanks, hoses reels , chems, etc) roughly 1800 lbs. Give or take few. Not sure if I want to chance wearing the van and tires out, but found a low milage for good deal. Just didnt want to make a mistake

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Total weight with all equipment (waste, fresh water tanks, hoses reels , chems, etc) roughly 1800 lbs. Give or take few. Not sure if I want to chance wearing the van and tires out, but found a low milage for good deal. Just didnt want to make a mistake

Is that with empty fresh tank?
if so, 1/2 ton van will never do.
100gal of water weighs over 800 pounds
add 2 men crew (another 400 pounds give or take)

you won't wear the van out, you'll be overloaded though
even with beefing up the suspension, it will still be an unsafe condition for the tires

..L.T.A.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I have to agree with Ruff that the E150 may not be the best idea for a carpet cleaning van. I've had them and have eaten through brakes, rotors, transmissions, tires and tire alignments, more than any other van I've owned. Helper springs did help, and didn't affect the rear end at all, its just the rest of the van that was affected. Both of my E150's lasted almost up to 150K, before the front end finally gave out.

My E350? That thing was solid, and with less repairs!

Shawn

Name
Lee Stockwell
My son Jason ran an E150 with a small tm for several years. When we went to 405s it was a bit much. No fresh tank, and he was a very careful driver. At the time I had an identical E250 and the difference was huge.

I'd never buy another half ton van. My next one will be another ton van.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

It won't be a good deal if your replacing crap all the time from too much weight/abuse. Most distys won't even let you put a new tm in anything below a e250. Be happy you asked or you would be screwed! Do you have the rage already?

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
I have 1 but looking to expand. Good point found e250 for 1500 more so id rather do it right! Thanks for the input! Thought about buying a used unit, but dont want to buy someone else's problem. Would have to be the right set-up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom