Echo Dot..

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Jim Martin
anyone looking for a great Christmas gift ..the echo dot is pretty cool...the number of things you can do with it and any info you need is amazing...

I have a few friends that are out of state that have them and if they are in your phone contacts ...you can use your phone and leave them a message and it will blink orange and let them know you left them something...and they just say "Alexa read my messages" and it tells them what it is...

you can have it call someone and sit and talk without using your phone..I can have it look for things on the TV or tell it to change to any station I want...

pretty cool device....using the echo dot I just ordered 6 of them for friends and family presents...it went straight to my account and will be delivered tomorrow...

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
My son has one in his room. I find myself sneaking in there to use it all the time. I might pick up 6 more for the house. It's that useful.

Credits
Name
MB
I have the bigger one, but plan to pick up some dots since they are on sale. I want to hook up the lights, thermostats etc to them etc. That’s my plan for my new house when ever this place sells

My kids want them all over the house. Only problem is, they’ve figured out how to get “Alexa” to help with homework when I’d make them work to figure it out! Sneaky little ones.

Credits
Name
MB
Picked up 3 dots at Best Buy. They had them for the same price as amazon and the smart outlet for additional $5 more (normally $30). The dude told me $10 when I was looking at them so I only got 1 with smart plug. When they rung me up it came up as on $5. Wish I had gotten all three with outlet but I was not leaving check out to swap them out.

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
I just ordered 4 more tonight on amazon. $29 Black Friday sale. Now I can finally have one in the bathroom. Also got 4 $5 outlet things.

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
so let me get this straight......
i could be sitting on the crapper and tell
Alexa to call Mikey all hands free....?
Yes. Exactly.

Every night I tuck my kids into bed. One of the things we do is to play Jeopardy during tuck-tuck time. We say “Alexa, play Jeopardy” and Alex Trebek comes on.

Credits
Name
MB
What do the Dot does?

What doesn't Alexa do?!?!

She can tell you jokes, stories, play games like trivia, who wants to be a millionaire. Plays music on demand. She keeps track of your shopping list. Just tell her what to add, and she does it. Then you use the app on your phone once you get to the store and you check off the items as you get them. And if I'm already at the store and the kids add something from home, then it updates immediately and shows up on my list. You can hook it up to lights, outlets, thermostats and control everything from your phone. My kids ask her questions all the time to help out with homework... I can set a timer for when I'm cooking. Or use as an alarm clock. You can shop Prime and Amazon with her. Reorder things you purchase fequently, find out what the deals of the day are. Ask her for the top headlines or news stories for the day, or the weather or time, anywhere in the world!

It's been life changing or bedridden, elderly and incapacitated people.

Read the reviews on Amazon on all the different ways people use it. I have only scratched the surface but love it!

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
I just got my new weekly update from Amazon that tells me the new features with Alexa. They are always adding to what she can do. Email posted below:

Amazon_Echo_Logo_2.png

Let's get to know each other.
Just ask me, "Alexa, how are you?"

THINGS TO TRY
  • "Alexa, what's your favorite game?"
  • "Alexa, tell me my fortune."
  • "Alexa, help me get home for the holidays."
  • "Alexa, how many days until winter?"
  • "Alexa, tell me a winter joke."
  • "Alexa, play Justice League commentary."
    Listen to renowned comic book artist Jim Lee discuss his creative process.
  • "Alexa, can you play music on all my devices?"
  • "Alexa, play music for relaxing from Amazon."
  • "Alexa, sing your favorite Christmas carol."
  • "Alexa, open Would You Rather."
  • "Alexa, who is George Clooney Married to?"
  • "Alexa, who directed Pulp Fiction?"
  • "Alexa, help me sleep."
  • "Alexa, can you make calls?"
  • "Alexa, sing the alphabet."
  • "Alexa, when is sunrise?"

MOST REQUESTED
  • Meditation skill: 1-Minute Mindfulness
  • Smart light purchase: Philips Hue Color Starter Kit
  • Science question: where does rain come from?

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Jim Martin

She can tell you jokes, stories, play games like trivia, who wants to be a millionaire. Plays music on demand. She keeps track of your shopping list. Just tell her what to add, and she does it. Then you use the app on your phone once you get to the store and you check off the items as you get them. And if I'm already at the store and the kids add something from home, then it updates immediately and shows up on my list. You can hook it up to lights, outlets, thermostats and control everything from your phone. My kids ask her questions all the time to help out with homework... I can set a timer for when I'm cooking. Or use as an alarm clock. You can shop Prime and Amazon with her. Reorder things you purchase fequently, find out what the deals of the day are. Ask her for the top headlines or news stories for the day, or the weather or time, anywhere in the world!

Read the reviews on Amazon on all the different ways people use it. I have only scratched the surface but love it!
its a

mine is also connected to my TV.. I can ask it to change channels.... or tell it to find me something like a certain movie or show

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
We got delivery of our 4 additional Dots and Wifi plugs last night. My 11 year old son hooked them all up. We now have one in the office, master bedroom, livingroom/kitchen, and both of my kid's room. Alexa is controlling our Christmas tree, my Office light,and bed reading light. I'll be adding a WIFI light switch to my kid's rooms so they won't need to get out of bed to turn on and off their lights. I have to admit, we're having great fun.

Last edited:
Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
Your tots should weight 300 pounds each by next Xmas...
They'll still need to roll over to yell at the Dot.

On a side note, we enabled the "Drop-in" feature, making all the dots work as an intercom system throughout the house. Now my kids are driving me crazy when I have the office door closed. They keep "dropping in" on me and talking non stop. I guess if people on your contacts list also have an Alexa it's possible to drop in on them as well. So I could say, Alexa, drop in on Mike, and bam, we are talking while he's on the pot.

Credits
Name
bob vawter
They'll still need to roll over to yell at the Dot.

On a side note, we enabled the "Drop-in" feature, making all the dots work as an intercom system throughout the house. Now my kids are driving me crazy when I have the office door closed. They keep "dropping in" on me and talking non stop. I guess if people on your contacts list also have an Alexa it's possible to drop in on them as well. So I could say, Alexa, drop in on Mike, and bam, we are talking while he's on the pot.
lik THAT'S never happened before

Credits
Name
Bjorn Marshall
Honestly thought it was kinda cool until I was in a customers house and she was using it for everything...... cooooorrnnnyyy

She had a new development cookie cutter house and everything was connected. Was in her house for 3 hrs listening to her showing off her alexa every 2min.

Alexa... set the oven to 425
Alexa... turn on 97.3
Alexa... Set the volume to 8
Alexa... Whats the weather today
Alexa.... turn sink light on
Alexa.... whats traffic like right now
Alexa.... how many times has my annoying ass little lap dog pissed on my carpet

on and on and it didnt help her voice is annoying as ****, ill never buy an echo now good god.. couldnt wait to get out of that house

seriously can u flip a switch u lazy fat biotch lol

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
We got delivery of our 4 additional Dots and Wifi plugs last night. My 11 year old son hooked them all up. We now have one in the office, master bedroom, livingroom/kitchen, and both of my kid's room. Alexa is controlling our Christmas tree, my Office light,and bed reading light. I'll be adding a WIFI light switch to my kid's rooms so they won't need to get out of bed to turn on and off their lights. I have to admit, we're having great fun.

So they'll be dropping in, or listening in when daddy is "wrestling" with mommy...and become frightened not realizing that mommy isn't hurting with those sound effects but enjoying it.

Next thing you know...in the dark of night... Nomad Jr is quietly making his way to the livingroom table -(where he previously noticed the shotgun affixed to the bottom side) and gets ahold of the gun.... Makes his way to mom and dad's room and ever slowly gets the door ajar....and BaAAAMM shoots Nomad Sr in the back, to rescue mom from this monster that was pounding her.

"Alexa... Call 911... my son shot my husband right before I had a chance to....ummm...get there. Now I'm about to shoot him- I'm so pissed!!

Last edited:
Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
So they'll be dropping in, or listening in when daddy is "wrestling" with mommy...and become frightened not realizing that mommy isn't hurting with those sound effects but enjoying it.

Next thing you know...in the dark of night... Nomad Jr is quietly making his way to the livingroom table -(where he previously noticed the shotgun affixed to the bottom side) and gets ahold of the gun.... Makes his way to mom and dad's room and ever slowly gets the door ajar....and BaAAAMM shoots Nomad Sr in the back, to rescue mom from this monster that was pounding her.

"Alexa... Call 911... my son shot my husband right before I had a chance to....ummm...get there. Now I'm about to shoot him- I'm so pissed!!
You scare me. :)

Latest posts