Echo Dot..

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
Here was my Amazon Echo Dot update for the day.

Amazon_Echo_Logo_2.png

I like to try new things.
Just ask, "Alexa, what can you do?"

blank-25x25.png

THINGS TO TRY
alexa-25x25.png

New with Alexa

• "Alexa, tell me a holiday limerick."
  • "Alexa, what are Echo Buttons?"
    Introducing a new way to play games with your compatible Echo device. Learn more about this Alexa Gadget.
  • "Alexa, tell me about Echo (RED)."
    Let Alexa help you join the fight against AIDS—a portion of proceeds from purchases of Echo (RED) benefit the Global Fund. Learn more.
games-25x25.png

Fun & Games

• "Alexa, let's have fun."
  • "Alexa, tell me a story."
  • "Alexa, let's chat."
    Strike up a conversation with the winners of the 2017 Alexa Prize—the Amazon-sponsored university competition to advance AI.
echo-crm-music-icon.png

Music & Entertainment

• "Alexa, play songs for baking holiday cookies from Amazon Music."
  • "Alexa, you have mad skills."
echo-crm-news-icon.png

News & Information

• "Alexa, what movies are playing near me?"
  • "Alexa, what's the traffic to the nearest Starbucks?"
    You can now ask Alexa for directions and traffic info to cities, airports, major landmarks, and other points of interest.
QA-25x25.png

Questions & answers

• "Alexa, why do we celebrate Hanukkah?"
  • "Alexa, who invented GPS?"
  • "Alexa, how many gallons of water are in the Atlantic Ocean?"
echo-crm-more-icon.png

Discover more…

• "Alexa, tell me a quote."
  • "Alexa, how do I send a message?"
  • "Alexa, what's your favorite hat?"
blank-25x25.png

MOST REQUESTED

• Business skill: Bloomberg
  • Snack bar purchase: CLIF Nut Butter Filled
  • Spelling request: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Attachments

Credits
Name
Mat
Don't worry boys, she's always listening and it just goes into the cloud with no specifics on how long your conversations are there, who has access to them or when/if it's ever deleted. Nope nothing could go wrong there. Something like this would have put a smile on Hitlers face from ear to ear. Think of man hours he could have saved.

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Jim Martin
I put one of these in the truck...pretty nice how it works...when I am ready to go to the next job...I just grab the invoice and tell it to go to that address and it navigates me to where I need to go...

I can tell it to turn on Pandora ( or whatever you like ) and when it is time to tell me directions..it will lower the music and tell me when I have a turn coming up...

if I cant find something I just ask where it is and it will give me directions...it is Bluetooth off my phone and then plugged into my stereo in my truck off of the charging plug that came with it......phone calls come in..the music will pause..and go to my headset..but the navigation still goes...

you can set reminders...calenders..timers..whatever...

makes things a bit simpler in the traffic and being hands-free.......

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speak...&qid=1513552840&sr=8-8&keywords=garmin+speaks

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
Here’s what’s new this week.

A25ED9IBMCL&T=O&U=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FG%2F01%2Fnav%2Ftransp.gif

Amazon_Echo_Logo_2.png

I can paint you a picture.
Just ask, "Alexa, tell me a love story."

THINGS TO TRY
  • "Alexa, are you feeling better?"
  • "Alexa, open This Day in History."
  • "Alexa, give me a 'roses are red' poem."
  • "Alexa, where is the nearest florist?"
  • "Alexa, what's the weather this weekend?"
  • "Alexa, find my phone."
  • "Alexa, sing me a love song."
  • "Alexa, pretend to be a supervillain."
  • "Alexa, when was The Color Purple published?"
  • "Alexa, play the song that goes 'all of me loves all of you.'"
  • "Alexa, how do I play music in multiple rooms?"
  • "Alexa, tell me about Echo Connect."
    Echo Connect allows you to make and receive hands-free calls on any supported Echo device, using your existing home phone service. Learn more.
  • "Alexa, help me sleep."
  • "Alexa, tell me about Cupid."
  • "Alexa, how old is Betty White?"
  • "Alexa, play the Love Me playlist from Amazon Music."

MOST REQUESTED
  • Athlete: Tom Brady
  • Insurance skill: GEICO
  • Song: "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran

For more things to try, visit our Alexa guide, ask "Alexa, what can you do?" or follow us:

echo-crm-socialmedia-sharing-facebook2-2x.png
echo-crm-socialmedia-sharing-twitter2-2x.png
echo-crm-socialmedia-sharing-youtube2-2x.png
Your pals can get this email every week, too—just ask them to subscribe.

© 2018 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon, Echo, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109-5210. Reference: 271279510

Please note that this message was sent to the following email address: nomad73@aol.com. Rather not receive these emails? Please opt-out here.

A25ED9IBMCL&T=E&U=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FG%2F01%2Fnav%2Ftransp.gif

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Russ Terhaar
I’m a sucker for technology but can’t understand how this would be so much better or different than Siri or Google Assistant?

We’ve got Apple everything and now they’re flashing the HomePod at me...

It’s a high quality speaker and I can see that as a huge plus for the kitchen.

It’s crazy how far we’ve allowed big brother into our lives though. The Kid isn’t exactly an old man but I miss my privacy and a simpler time. I feel like my anxiety has been seriously heightened by carrying a smartphone everywhere I’ve been, for about 10 years now.

Village Idiot
Credits
Name
FCC
Much faster and interactive than Siri. Google chrome thing is also pretty good.
It must be a different Alexa on my wife’s fire hd 10 because I don’t find that to be the case.

Other than anyone being able to control it I haven’t found a plus really ....and I’m not sure that really is one

Other than a few novelty features in this thread I don’t see anything Siri/home can’t do or Android.

She controls my smart devices, writes most of my text, interfaces with my cars via CarPlay or Bluetooth, etc

Echo would just be a redundant device

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Damon
I’m sure they’re all about equal now. I only have Siri on my Apple phone. Hate it. But it works in a pinch.

I’ve got the dot and am making it work. I like how it will give me recipes and ask me follow up questions if I want it to continue. Then sends the recipes to my phone. Or I can say “order me more dog food” and it will place the order and my dog is happy when the mail man comes.

I don’t know enough about the competing services to have an opinion. I’m sure their great as well. We live in good times.

Supportive Member
Credits
Name
Jim Martin
we really like ours.....Katie will be sitting on the couch reading a book and come across a word she does not understand and she will ask it for the meaning....most mornings she will ask what the weather is going to be so she knows what to wear for school...set a times for her stuff she has to put in her mouth to help clean her braces...or a quick reminder....just a whole bunch of very simple things......we find it very handy to have..........

Credits
Name
bryan
I’m a sucker for technology but can’t understand how this would be so much better or different than Siri or Google Assistant?
Depends on what you use it for. All of them will control devices in your home, put dates in your calendar and answer questions, but there are major differences in how they work.

Apple had the early lead with Siri, but was looking at it more as a way to connect the Apple watch to the rest of the Apple universe. It works very well for this purpose. Questions about the world outside are a weaker point with a lot of Siri's answers written by humans, and questions have to be asked specifically. Lots of the answers are cute or funny, but not answers.

Amazon also wants you in their corral to buy products and services, but Alexa is more AI, attempting to figure out what you want from a poorly worded question and search the internet to get the answer. Amazon has admitted that the AI leader is Microsoft though, and they're partnering with Microsoft to add Cortana to Amazon devices.

Alphabet's (Google) products are "hey me too!" to stay competitive and keep people in the Android/Google corral. No reason not to get Chrome stuff, it's just a step behind.

If you just want to connect things in your house and various calendar apps, the real development will be the "one ring" device that will control them all, so you can use whatever bits you like from any manufacturer and have them all connected.

Latest posts