Ed Cross alliance to defend against high-heat litigation

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Seems there is a company who is trying to "grow" through lawsuits and heavy-handed measures. Sounds like a perfect example of a company having no desire to "earn" their growth through value-creation. Kinda has that "union" thug feel to it.

Ed Cross (the restoration lawyer) is building an alliance of restoration professionals to pool resources and information to battle the Thermapure suits against many mom-n-pop and very large restoration companies and manufacturers.

It seems they have patented the high heat drying process (oh crap! I better hide my hair dryer under my bed....)

This widespread litigation machine-gunning of restorers and manufacturers WILL be costly to anyone connected to the restoration industry.

If you are interested in the topic - and perhaps in being part of the Restoration Industry Defense Alliance - here is a link to Ed's site and additional information => http://www.edcross.com/newsletter/newsletter_february_11.html

Ed is a good guy in this industry. He deserves widespread support in this effort.

Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Wow... 83 readers - but not a single reply. That may be a first! =)

I know several canNOT comment because they have been hit by the machine gun litigation... I just wanted more to know what is going on here, and to be educated on where to find defense friends in case you feel you may be at risk.

Ed Cross has an EXCELLENT restoration newsletter. He is up to date on all of the current litigation, and great at explaining the why's behind what was ruled on - and how to work to avoid it yourself.

At the very least - sign up for his newsletter. It's good stuff. He's excellent at what he does. I'd never want to be on the other side of a case against him.

Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ed's a good guy, very good attorney and very expensive. I've got several good contracts from him that at least in the "mold is gold hey day" were needed.

This industry has made him super rich, is he being paid for this fight or is he donating his time?

What exactly is it you're asking of everyone Lisa? It looks like there are already some heavy hitters listed in the document.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ford Fairlane said:
Ed's a good guy, very good attorney and VERY expensive. I've got several good contracts from him that at least in the "mold is gold hey day" were needed.

This industry has made him super rich, is he being paid for this fight or is he donating his time?

What exactly is it you're asking of everyone Lisa? It looks like there are already some heavy hitters listed in the document.

I just wanted to share the info. I'm on Ed's list - you can sign up for his newsletter at => http://www.edcross.com

You just opt in at the bottom of his website - or connect with him on Facebook.

And yes, he is expensive... and very, very skilled. Especially litigating in CA - he has excellent skills at tackling tough cases.

This is what I know...

He is compiling an "interest group" - this would be people who want to corral information, help research past details from within OUR industry on the use of the techniques Thermpure is saying are "theirs" by sharing what others have dug up to fight their own challenges.

Instead of lots of fights - the idea is to funnel all the spread out information into one collective resource.

I am sure that some of the bigger players will provide any funding needed, because it's in their interest as well as the smaller operations. But when I called him to say I wanted to help, I was not told it was a "pay to play" deal.

So... what am I asking of everyone?

If you have a dog in this fight - to reach out and let Ed know you are interested in participating in the interest group.

If you are in the business, but do not feel you would ever be directly targeted - just sign up for his newsletter. At the very least, stay informed.

And if you do not do any restoration - just ignore it.

It came across my desk, and I just thought it was worth sharing. I've known Ed a long time (before he was "super rich") =) - he is a good guy, and great at what he does. If anyone can help corral decisive action against this heavy-handed company, it's him.

And no... Piranha will not be sponsoring this. =) I'm helping on my own.

Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks for the response, figured that was that case but thought it would good for you to explain in greater detail since you are in the know.

Yes, Ed is a nice guy and well worth what he charges.....well....umm did I say he was a nice guy already?

Seen his home in Hawaii? I paid for a room ok....well maybe only a bathroom.....more likely a closet. :p

Seriously when you need a heavy hitter that knows our industry he's the man I would recommend.

Give'em hell Ed! 8)

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Sorry to pick this nit, but he made himself rich. The restoration industry is just the one in which he chose to specialize.

Thanks for paying him so much though, all that money is what allows him to support the little guys and industry associations.

PS: If you get a chance to hear an Ed Cross presentation, take it, even if you're not in the restoration business.

I'm trying to get the Connections folks to bring him in to speak, which he'll do for a fraction of what he'd be making in the office. Hmm, a Connections presentation that's on-topic, timely, entertaining... will they go for it?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry to pick this nit, but he made himself rich. The restoration industry is just the one in which he chose to specialize.

Thanks for paying him so much though, all that money is what allows him to support the little guys and industry associations.
Yes you're right he earned it.

He also had the foresight to specialize in mold and the restoration industry early on and has made his name.

I is the little guy, you're the one with deep pockets.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
The Great Oz said:

PS: If you get a chance to hear an Ed Cross presentation, take it, even if you're not in the restoration business.

I'm trying to get the Connections folks to bring him in to speak, which he'll do for a fraction of what he'd be making in the office. Hmm, a Connections presentation that's on-topic, timely, entertaining... will they go for it?

Spot on as always Bryan... success well-earned. He found his niche, and made the most of it. I love that.

He also would be a good fit for Connections. =) Much better than some of their choices these past years. At least it would be relevant and entertaining.

We had him emcee our Restoration Symposiums for CFI two years in a row - he rocked!

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom