Electro Genie + RV = $

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I was up in Vegas on business a while back, and found a CC item I wanted for sale on the LV Craigslist (ended up not buying it). I did spend an hour there talking with the seller. He had this Electro Genie (not for sale) on a little open trailer. He had started out with a mobile motorcoach repair service and added carpet/upholstery cleaning as a value-added service, specializing on the large motorcoaches (tour busses, rich retired execs, etc.). Seems he had found a good niche market and seemed to be doing fairly well with it.

Anyway, I assume the Electro Genie is related to Steam Genie, but I had never seen one. His was quite butchered (his own words), and the box to the left of the machine is an RV propane water heater he uses to preheat his incoming water. Perks of the trade, I guess. Sorry for the poor phone/night pics. Any old timers out there that can tell me about the Electro Genie? Looks to be a twin 7.2" air-series, two cord machine...

[attachment=2:3ip005z1]electrog2.jpg[/attachment:3ip005z1]

[attachment=1:3ip005z1]electrog3.jpg[/attachment:3ip005z1]

[attachment=0:3ip005z1]electrog1.jpg[/attachment:3ip005z1]

Greenie

I think Lisa had one of those back in the day?

Lisa?

Here is a tech/trivia question for newbs:

Why is the dude running the propane heater as a pre-heater Before the pump, vs: after the pump?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
That thing just looks like a accident just waiting to be plugged in and happen...............

Greenie

I knew it was just a matter of mins. before Sparky pointed that out....fuel, water, elec. all in one rats nest.

any takers on the trivia yet?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Most vehicles now have electric fuel pumps inside the gas tanks.

I first saw one of these Electogenies in Atlanta (1982) when Steam Genie's founder participated in the Innovators trade show. In that same era Steam Services had a similar Workmaster electric unit.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Not sure if I qualify as a newb, but the water heater would not stand the pump pressure if plumbed on the discharge side of the pump. If it was installed/plumbed correctly as a domestic water heater it would have a P/T (pressure/temperature) relief valve anyway that would not let the pressure go that high, and you would just dump water on the ground (I didn't see one on his :shock: ). The downside of preheating the water (for most pumps) is you can't exceed 140F without frying or dramatically shortening the life of the pump.

Greenie

Thanks Dan, just pointing that out.....if it only helps ONE, it was worth typing.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Lee Stockwell said:
Most vehicles now have electric fuel pumps inside the gas tanks.

I first saw one of these Electogenies in Atlanta (1982) when Steam Genie's founder participated in the Innovators trade show. In that same era Steam Services had a similar Workmaster electric unit.

1982. Interesting. Is it coincedence that this machine has similarities to modern electric truckmounts I see these days? Although they use parallel vacs.

Greenie

After pimping out Cu's ninja to pull 150' of vac hose, I am sure an Electro-Genie could be made better. Odds are it was just choked back like every other machine of it's time.

Shoot just look at the link I posted of Erik's old timer, look close, that single 90 degree plastic elbow where you hook your vac hose too, is killing the 200 cfm potential right off the bat. Put a thin walled gentle bend 90 there instead (even better if it's 2.5") and you WILL change that machine.

You could probably use a rubber FernCo to mate a 2.5" fitting to the outside of that welded in wall 2" pipe coupler and easily make it 2.5"....and of course 50' of 2.5" hose would unleash the true vacuum potential of the machine....but just straightening out the bottle neck, would make running 100' of 2" easy, I'll bet you even get a little Howl from a glided wand.

The devil is in the details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom