emergency call question

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
how often do you get a after hours call meaning a 11pm to 3am range call? i would think most calls come in the morning when people wake up or in the early evening when they
get home from work

is your emergency response charge more in these hrs or when do you consider it after hrs to add the charge..like a 7pm call
hope that made sense

thanks

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
anything from 6:01pm-7:59am is after hours charges for us since our office hours are 8-6, normally. On holidays when the office is closed, its after hours/holiday(same thing) charges. Done it that way with a few different companies, and insurance never usually balked at it. I think if I remember we even did normal 8-5 and it still went through insurance okay. If the homeowner is self-insured though, that could be the breaking point between getting the job and not, and have sometimes broke the rules a little bit if I could quickly determine the job would still be profitable. Anymore after doing a moisture inspection, I can give a range off the top of my head, and be pretty dang close.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
My phone gets shut off at 9pm. Back on at 8am. I'm sure I've lost a few but my regulars(apts) wait till morning.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
3-4 a month in those happy hours.

4:30 to 12:00AM is OT, 12:00AM-7:00AM is doubletime, 7:00AM-8:00AM is OT
8:00-4:30 Regular Time.
What a cheapskate. We paid triple time with a three hour minimum if the crew got called out after midnight.

Steve

PS And a bonus for the tech that was the "Designated On-call" for that week whether they got called out or not. Of course, in return they had to be in condition to go out 24-7 during their week as in SOBER! Some fought for the assignment- others said "No way!"

Reactions: GCCLee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Easy there Steve T, Dave just asked about charges (billing) he didn't ask what we paid. ; )

We do have an Emeregency On Call Team, they are On Call once a week. They receive $25.00 for a lead and $20.00 for assistant for what we call a CAT bonus (being on call). When they get a loss the lead receives $35.00 and the assistant $25.00 plus OT or Doubletime. This adds up fast, they get 3-4 jobs and they've made several hundred additional that week.

Steven I can't afford you, you're over qualified! LOL

OnCallSchedule.jpg

BonusSchedule5-25-12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My phone gets shut off at 9pm. Back on at 8am. I'm sure I've lost a few but my regulars(apts) wait till morning.
I understand how you would want to do that but you could be turning away several thousands of dollars over a months time. Unfortunately WDR losses always come at the worst time, it sucks but then thats part of why the service costs more and of course pays more.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I understand how you would want to do that but you could be turning away several thousands of dollars over a months time. Unfortunately WDR losses always come at the worst time, it sucks but then thats part of why the service costs more and of course pays more.

I only sub for a WD company.....doing the extractions and cleanings........but this WD company does work for many insurance adjusters/companies, and 1 in particular requires a 2 hour response time frame. So we're oncall 24/7.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a self imposed 1-hour target, which in this small market is fairly easy to do with some commitment. The On Call supervisor receives the call and get all info, calls the Lead tech to inform him he has a loss. He then texts all the info to the lead tech. The lead calls his assistant and they are expected to arrive at our shop within 30-minutes, from there they should easily arrive on site within an hour.

Where it gets complicated is when a second or third call come in at the same time. Then I have to pay backup bonuses (Double) to get those not on call in. It may take longer than an hour in those cases since those individuals were not prepared to respond. It happens on occasion and we get through it but it is challenging at times.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL Just picking on you!

I'm not on call anymore but I will fill in as a Supervisor On Call when someone has other obligations. I do tell them to call me if they get anything big, so I can help. Actually I have to cover Thursday night we have a couple of guys down in Oklahoma for an AMRT class. So I'm covering for that supervisor that day.

In the last few years as those Leads wanted more money we took the actual call handling away from the supervisors and gave the leads more money but more responsibility too. We trained them to take the calls and so the supervisors now are there for tech support both over the phone and bringing out more equipment as needed or another truck should one go down.

We were a little concerned with that move but all calls are emailed to Dan in the AM so we can see what came in, the time and when our guys responded. So far it has gone well and given a break to the supervisors who have done their time in the field already.

Dude we are a machine, replace the parts as need but the machines continues to run. :icon_cool:

It only took decades of trial and error to get to this point! :neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
When operating our restoration franchise, we had 3 pricing levels for calls.
8 AM until 5 PM Monday - Friday Standard office hour rate
5 PM until 10 PM M-F After hours charge
10 PM until 8 AM, plus weekends and holidays was charged at night / holiday rate

I won't post what we charged or what I paid. I don't want Steve to pick on me.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do you miss the water business Scott? I've been doing it most of my life and still love the WDR business.

If I ever get out of this business I think I'd miss it. I think I was born for this! :icon_cool:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm on call 24/7 (unless I'm on vacation and or the client has Travelers, than I just go back to bed)...

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I don't "hate" them, I'm doing a job currently that the adjuster is so far nice. But the last 3 jobs I've lost was for cocky traveler's adjusters trying to tell me how to do the job. They're using scare tactics on the HO and it's getting pretty bad. Out of all the claims I've dealt with Travelers is still one of the worst to deal with up here. I spoke to a few other local guys (including the yellow truck franchise local guy) and he also told me it's a pain in the butt.

The last 2 I just had this week, one did not want to remove the laminate floor that was registering over 40-55% MC's. I sent a copy of the S500 to both the HO and adjuster including a release of liability, and HO called me later to say both the adjuster and supervisor will not pay to remove the laminate floor nor would they sign the form, and started to push him into one of their POS PSP's Hacks (since they won't remove the floor regardless of the standards). The homeowner called me, and the adjuster got on the phone, and said word for word "Ok, we are going to put one small dehu in full bath, remove toe kick, put one air mover under carpet, remove 42 sqft of drywall in the ceiling and clean the wood floor, that's it. I stopped him before he could continue, and he basically cut me off and said they are only paying to "clean the wood floor". The adjuster actually told the HO to just check in a month and see if the cupping will go down. I told him about the MC's readings, and he said it was only "equivalent to a full cup of water and it was ridiculous to remove the floor". It was a toilet overflow, and the HO said he watched water gush down the recess lighting and drywall down to the floor (no comments from expert adjuster there).

I always educate the clients about them choosing who they want etc etc. What's happening is that they (HO's) feel their stuck in the middle and usually choose the insurance's side as they are scared the ins will not pay for that portion of the claim.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom