Employee Benefits

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
For those of you who have larger companies, what do you guys offer as far as sick pay, vacation pay etc? What holidays to you pay and which ones do you not pay? How much sick time do you offer? Paid? How long do they need to be there to get it?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sick pay? Our policy is don't get sick because we aren't going to pay you! :winky:
We have no sick pay policy.

The amount of paid vacation time employees receive each year increases with the length of their
employment as shown in the following schedule:
1-Week after the 1st-year anniversary date
2-Weeks after the 3rd year anniversary date

* New Year's Day (January 1)
* Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
* Independence Day (July 4)
* Labor Day (first Monday in September)
* Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November)
* Christmas (December 25)

I've asked Dan if we could add Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur in honor of Ofer but he has yet to respond back. :winky:

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Yeah we do 1 week paid vacation after 1 year, 2 weeks after 2 years with 4 paid holidays. But everyone is asking and saying there should be sick pay of 1 week etc.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're a high roller, give it to them. :winky:

I have an issue with sick pay. Even if we could afford it (which we cannot) I don't think most people us it as intended. I hear all the time someone say they have to use up their sick pay or they will loose it. :dejection:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ben, tell them they should look for a new opportunity if they don't like what you offer. Set your compensation at what you can afford, let the winer's work for someone else. Do not let your employees dictate any part of your comp.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But everyone is asking and saying there should be sick pay of 1 week etc.
When was the last time anyone was sick for a week. Hell I might miss a day every 3-4 years. A week? Fook that!

I think my wife said at her work they have to be sick 3-days straight to be able to use sick pay. Even then they must have a doctors note as proof.

Its so they can't go get ripped on a Sunday and then call in sick Monday. If they do they must be out two more days to qualify to use their sick pay and visit the doctor.

Do you have your employee's numbers? Let me talk to those pussies! :angry:

:winky:

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Sick pay? Our policy is don't get sick because we aren't going to pay you! :winky:
We have no sick pay policy.

The amount of paid vacation time employees receive each year increases with the length of their
employment as shown in the following schedule:
1-Week after the 1st-year anniversary date
2-Weeks after the 3rd year anniversary date

* New Year's Day (January 1)
* Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
* Independence Day (July 4)
* Labor Day (first Monday in September)
* Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November)
* Christmas (December 25)

I've asked Dan if we could add Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur in honor of Ofer but he has yet to respond back. :winky:

Same.
It's PTO. I really don't care why they're off. It's none of my business.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I have been off sick three days in 37 years, had my appendix out on Friday after Thanksgiving 1978. Was back to work on Monday. I worked for my Father and lived at home. He could have cared less if I was in pain, he needed help and I was it. :confusedd:

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
It's tough because I want to offer my employees good benefits so that they love their job but I also don't want to be too generous if I don't need to. I feel like we offered good benefits and I always do sales contest and different bonuses - personally I think sick pay is bullshit and it irritates me when they bring it up but it seems like every other company offers it

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
It's tough because I want to offer my employees good benefits so that they love their job but I also don't want to be too generous if I don't need to. I feel like we offered good benefits and I always do sales contest and different bonuses - personally I think sick pay is bullshit and it irritates me when they bring it up but it seems like every other company offers it

Can always make more money, cant make more time :winky:
Its very important IMO

I am very liberal about scheduled time off. Some get as much as 4 weeks total.

Probably going to hear more of these complaints if you are at the beach while they are working.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yeah we do 1 week paid vacation after 1 year, 2 weeks after 2 years with 4 paid holidays.
Based on the policy of my day job (big corporate employer) a suggestion:

Nix vacation and sick days - go to straight PTO.
Must be scheduled unless an emergency - PTO must be requested 30 days in advance.
Emergency (unscheduled) PTO longer than one day must have a doctor's note or other form of documentation. Abusers will lose bonuses, etc.

PTO is earned - Jan 1st you have none, Dec 31st you have accrued 100% of your days for that year. At management discretion you may use this year's days before you have accrued them, but if employment terminates for any reason before Dec 31st you agree to reimburse the company for unearned days you used - to be deducted from final check.

Use it or lose it - except a maximum of 5 days can be carried over for one year - you can never have more than 5 days extra in any given year, and only if you did not use them the previous year.

You accrue 10 days the first year, 12 days the second year, 15 days beginning the fifth year. (basically you give new employees a little more, but slow down the rate of increasing days to make up for it some).

Your compensation package needs to be competitive with similar businesses (of similar size) in your area. If you want to attract and keep top talent you need to do a little better than comparable employers but not way better!

Another suggestion, reduce your paid holidays by one, and give your people one "floating" holiday. Must be chosen (and approved) at least 30 days in advance. This gives employees that may not celebrate a particular holiday leeway to pick a day meaningful to them.

Reactions: bensurdi

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's tough because I want to offer my employees good benefits so that they love their job but I also don't want to be too generous if I don't need to.
Its called greed and greed is good when its working for you but those damn bastard will use it against sooner or later. Yes they will! :winky:

You can't give them everything they ask for, they are not your children. No matter what you give its only human nature to ask for more.;)

If you are banking so much cash that you have a hard time sleeping at night give then a day or two. But realize its hard to take it back unless you change staff out.

Reactions: dgardner

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks buddy.
I celebrate all the holidays- Jewish, Moslem, Chritian, Hindu, Taoist, Nature's worship, WICA, Surdi's sicko days you name it.

I guess I am non discriminating to the extreme.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
7 Holidays and 5 vacation days = 1 Day off month.
Seems fair to me

HOW they take them is not my problem.
Just PTO

The main crews can take extra time off in winter only.
But thats only 4 people, its not hard to keep track of honestly.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Based on the policy of my day job (big corporate employer) a suggestion:

Nix vacation and sick days - go to straight PTO.
Must be scheduled unless an emergency - PTO must be requested 30 days in advance.
Emergency (unscheduled) PTO longer than one day must have a doctor's note or other form of documentation. Abusers will lose bonuses, etc.

PTO is earned - Jan 1st you have none, Dec 31st you have accrued 100% of your days for that year. At management discretion you may use this year's days before you have accrued them, but if employment terminates for any reason before Dec 31st you agree to reimburse the company for unearned days you used - to be deducted from final check.

Use it or lose it - except a maximum of 5 days can be carried over for one year - you can never have more than 5 days extra in any given year, and only if you did not use them the previous year.

You accrue 10 days the first year, 12 days the second year, 15 days beginning the fifth year. (basically you give new employees a little more, but slow down the rate of increasing days to make up for it some).

Your compensation package needs to be competitive with similar businesses (of similar size) in your area. If you want to attract and keep top talent you need to do a little better than comparable employers but not way better!

Another suggestion, reduce your paid holidays by one, and give your people one "floating" holiday. Must be chosen (and approved) at least 30 days in advance. This gives employees that may not celebrate a particular holiday leeway to pick a day meaningful to them.

Our communication to an employee should not be to get a doctor's notice proving they need medical leave, but a doctor's authorization when they can return and at what capacity.

And for my brothers and sisters in Cali, this went into affect this year.

(e) An employer is not required to provide additional paid sick days pursuant to this section if the employer has a paid leave policy or paid time off policy, the employer makes available an amount of leave applicable to employees that may be used for the same purposes and under the same conditions as specified in this section, and the policy satisfied one of the following:

(1) Satisfies the accrual, carry over, and use requirements of this section.

(2) Provided paid sick leave or paid time off to a class of employees before January 1, 2015, pursuant to a sick leave policy or paid time off policy that used an accrual method different than providing one hour per 30 hours worked, provided that the accrual is on a regular basis so that an employee, including an employee hired into that class after January 1, 2015, has no less than one day or eight hours of accrued sick leave or paid time off within three months of employment of each calendar year, or each 12-month period, and the employee was eligible to earn at least three days or 24 hours of sick leave or paid time off within nine months of employment.

The law also says employees accrue PTO hours upon hire but you do not have to pay them until after 90 days.
Check your state for mandatory accrual PTO laws and "Use it or lose it" policies.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Paid_Sick_Leave.htm

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What I'd do is thell them after much thought you decided to offer them something better. Something that actually has there long term benefit in mind. A SEP plan. Every good quarter you fund it, if they are young and dumb they can withdraw the money with a penalty but if they are smart it will be worth so much more to them down the road.
The real beauty of the program is we you fund their you also shelter away the same percent for yourself. If you can stay out out of it, you'll built a nice retirement for yourself while looking like the generous boss. sick days fookem! ;)

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Our communication to an employee should not be to get a doctor's notice proving they need medical leave, but a doctor's authorization when they can return and at what capacity.

And for my brothers and sisters in Cali, this went into affect this year.

(e) An employer is not required to provide additional paid sick days pursuant to this section if the employer has a paid leave policy or paid time off policy, the employer makes available an amount of leave applicable to employees that may be used for the same purposes and under the same conditions as specified in this section, and the policy satisfied one of the following:

(1) Satisfies the accrual, carry over, and use requirements of this section.

(2) Provided paid sick leave or paid time off to a class of employees before January 1, 2015, pursuant to a sick leave policy or paid time off policy that used an accrual method different than providing one hour per 30 hours worked, provided that the accrual is on a regular basis so that an employee, including an employee hired into that class after January 1, 2015, has no less than one day or eight hours of accrued sick leave or paid time off within three months of employment of each calendar year, or each 12-month period, and the employee was eligible to earn at least three days or 24 hours of sick leave or paid time off within nine months of employment.

The law also says employees accrue PTO hours upon hire but you do not have to pay them until after 90 days.
Check your state for mandatory accrual PTO laws and "Use it or lose it" policies.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Paid_Sick_Leave.htm

Starts in California and spreads like ... even in AZ.
http://www.employmentlawworldview.c...l-rest-breaks-and-discrimination-law-changes/

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We don't provide paid sick days either. I can't even imagine where that type of policy started. Why pay someone NOT to work? Where is the incentive to not use it? We do give a decent bonus for perfect attendance however. That's the kind of incentive I like!!

We also are very liberal with unpaid scheduled time off. It's the unscheduled call ins that cause the real headaches anyway.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Some very good suggestions in this thread. What I've decided to do is do 2 weeks PTO after first year. 3 weeks PTO after 2nd year and each year thereafter. These guys bust ass and definately need their time off for sure.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
The vacation pay we provide:
1 week after 1 year
2 weeks after 3 years
3 weeks after 10 years
4 weeks after 20 years

The vacation pay is paid on the anniversary of their start date and is based on their prior year salary. For every week of vacation they have earned, they get 1/52 of their prior years total earnings. It doesn't matter if they take any actual time off.

It gets expensive having all those long term employees.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The vacation pay we provide:
1 week after 1 year
2 weeks after 3 years
3 weeks after 10 years
4 weeks after 20 years

The vacation pay is paid on the anniversary of their start date and is based on their prior year salary. For every week of vacation they have earned, they get 1/52 of their prior years total earnings. It doesn't matter if they take any actual time off.

It gets expensive having all those long term employees.

Thats the challenge! what does all this look 5 years from now. Creeps up on us.

Gas is pretty cheap right now but that can double, taxes will go up, more vacation time, higher commission %, before you know it you are saying what the hell happened.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom