Employees... How much do you give away?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
This week I put in over $500 in overtime fixing our filing system. Because I don't want to fight about getting paid overtime in our slow season, but needed to get it done I'm just marking myself down for the standard 40 hours. I generally do a free project like that two to three times a year. Not to mention the usual five hours every week I put in doing stuff from home or scheduling appointments on my own time. I finally added It up. I give over $6,000 a year to my employer.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Thats how it is when you work for someone else. You have to do that just to look good and keep your job. You could eliminate this and of course open up your own business. Right?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Gary,
If you are doing that much work and your firm is growing because of it they should reward you for your effort. If for some reason they can't afford to pay you money for your efforts they should look to give you a slice of the business.

roro

Chris A

Name
Chris
no kidding, you need interest in the business like now, or head somewhere else if your hourly. If your commished or salaried, then I could see the extra work.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Do your paychecks bounce..ever? Then STFU and be happy you have a Job :mrgreen:

Seriously be grateful your still earning a paycheck. We have had to cut everyone back 1 day a week but it was better then sending them home early or laying them off. They understand they still need to bust ass as the busy work still has to get done along with the stuff that pays the salary. They do have a choice though. They can go stand in the un-employment line. Not like there is a huge need for truckmount mechanics right now so the ones that bust ass and go the extra mile will be the last to go if it comes to that.

Edited to add...My guys clock in and clock out. They get paid for every minute they are here. Now if they clock out and stay for a few minutes to clean up or help a last minute customer thats because they wanted to but at no time ever have we not paid nor will we not pay for every minute that is on the time card.

Chris A

Name
Chris

You can't be serious John. C'mon, if the man is paid hourly, he shouldn't have to give one second of work time off the clock. I know you're not the type of guy to expect that out of your employees. 6 g's a year!?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
No I wouldn't thats why I put the :mrgreen: but I was serious that he needs to be happy to have a job and I think thats why he chose<---keyword... to do that extra stuff. I am very grateful when my guys go the extra mile with out expecting to get paid. It helps but my guys know we are not stingy and if we are making money we are sharing the wealth and if we're not then well it goes both ways.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
B&BGaryC said:
rhyde said:
now you know what it's like to be an employer

I do? Who's working for me for free?

How may O/O or small employers here work over a 40 Hr week ? when i posted last night ....Sunday @ 11PM i was taking a break from paperwork.

Chris A

Name
Chris

I suppose putting up with it is as bad as being expected to...

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm whining. How all this came about is my girlfriend didn't get to see me all week. She commented that because I put all those hours in I can afford to fix my car. I had to tell her there would be no extra money and I would have to try to land a DJ gig if I was going to get my car fixed this month. She asked me to add up the amount of time I give away and I did. She asked if that was common and I said I don't know. I figured it was common in people who get equity in the business or are salaried. I do what I do because it needs to be done. It didn't occur to me that I should be paid for it. I just hope it pays off in more business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom