employees

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Do you find hiring experenced empoyees or training new to the cc industry better :?:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Always new for us and they are almost always referrals from someone else. This goes for all positions in the company.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I would say new to the industry.... BUT............................. I am thinking about hiring a guy who has been cleaning for 12 years....... He can do repairs and everything... He's good and has all of his certifications........ I could trust him on jobs and not have to train to much. I think it just depends really.. In a perfect world it would be nice to hire someone you wouldn't have to train right? There are a few good traned ones out there, not many

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
joeynbgky said:
I am thinking about hiring a guy who has been cleaning for 12 years....... In a perfect world it would be nice to hire someone you wouldn't have to train right? There are a few good traned ones out there, not many
I hope it works out for you, Joey, but sadly we don't live in a perfect world. In the very imperfect world I lived in every time I hired some guy just because he knew how to run an RX-20 (big whoopee!) I regretted it.

Sure, I didn't haveto train him how to "clean" (even though you would be surprised) but it was a knock-down-drag-out- fight every day with the constant refrain, "That's not the way the other company I worked for did it", especially when it came to the way we dealt with the customer in her home.

At the end of the day it was easier to be able to say, "Now since you are new you should know that this is the way all carpet cleaners work with the customer." :) Life became so much easier when the new employee was malleable to our way instead of getting stubborn on every single point.

Not to be negative though! let us know how he works out ...

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS the reason I was tempted to hire previous carpet cleaners is I dreaded the learning curve. Once I implemented daily training sheets with testing at the end of the day and a Training Office who was a mentor AND who got a nice bonus every time the trainee aced his daily test life became so much easier.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Thanks for the help here. I agree but have also been burnt by a guy lasting 3 months and finding it is harded work than he thought. I'll keep trying Iseeru

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
dmirf1@msn.com said:
Thanks for the help here. I agree but have also been burnt by a guy lasting 3 months and finding it is harded work than he thought. I'll keep trying Iseeru

1st day for me hhahahahaahah

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Where do you guys find good working employees?

I posted an ad on Craigslist and got all kinds of people...wasn't very successful with that search. I have a friend that helps me part time, but it's becoming such a pain since he's really not interested in this business at all.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
tmdry said:
Where do you guys find good working employees?

Bill,

You know how you are always "marketing" for customers and trying to beat out the competition? It is the same with employees- you need to be actively looking for them and 'sell" them on working for you. I believe Ken Snow actually sends out "recruiting flyers" to his customers and pays a bonus when a referred applicant gets hired.

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS The only difference between competing for customers and competing for techs is you are not competing against only carpet cleaners but rather every other business out there!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Find that waiter or customer service rep that really impresses you and let them know you are hiring.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Depends on the guy. We have techs that worked for others and are great guys. We've had other experienced guys that couldn't break bad habits and didn't last.

Who knows, you might learn something from hiring a guy with experience.

I learned a few things when I hired a guy that worked for SS and a few other companies.

He contacted me.

Try visiting a local church. Go to the office and let them know what you are looking for. Plus you should get some referrals to other church members. I didn't mean that to be insulting or anything.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The Great Oz said:
Depends on the guy. We have techs that worked for others and are great guys. We've had other experienced guys that couldn't break bad habits and didn't last.

Who knows, you might learn something from hiring a guy with experience.

I think that say it all...

but in general I still think hiring a guy who has been cleaning carpets for a while is going to clean things "his way".....it's a crap shoot if it's your way or the right way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom