Encap Questions

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Is there a protectant left on the carpet after cleaning with encap?
I know the crystallization and the vacuuming part.

Are there different encap solutions? IE: One leaves a protectant and the other doesn't?

Chem-Dry had an additive that protected the carpet as you cleaned although it wasn't an encap type cleaning.

Is this technology still used?

Thanks

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Are there different encap solutions? IE: One leaves a protectant and the other doesn't?

Yes, Releasit and Surround both are crystalizing products with flouro in them... Vacaway and DSC both have products with acid dye resistors built in and Dynachem has a film forming encap that is a 1 step clean and protect... Although, it did tend to resoil faster than I thought it should have...

That said Brian, the Flouro isn't of much benefit as it isn't in sufficient quantity to produce a measurable appearance/stain resistance benefit after one cleaning. Some will say that it helps the product release from the fiber... I say they need better polymers... shiteatinggrin Just kidding! :mrgreen:

I think the main benefit of having a small fraction of a gallon of concentrate filled with protector is mainly marketing... Although, I suppose if the frequency of cleaning was high enough you could over time build protection in the carpet... I have experienced this with Releasit... But I have also experienced it with snake oil which contains no flouro... I think its more a matter of removing the previouse cleaners surfactant residues than encap-"protector" being applied a drop at a time when you clean...

Anyway, if you're dead set on protecting carpet I'd recommend a secondary post spray after the cleaning. Almost every manufaccturer has one avaiable and if you're charging for it, you should be doing it properly. A stand alone protector allows you to do that and feel good about it.

Although, a thorough cleaning with an acid dye resistor (ie: Vacaway Kleen Shield) and a post cleaning mist of a compatable Flouro-based protector (Fiber-Cop) would offer the best stain resistance in my opinion. Of course if you were going to wait until it was dry and vacuum, there is something to be said for solvent based protector as well...

I'm sure other will disagree with portions of this post but hey... That's my $0.02.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
These rumors are great. Steamway's Mist & Brush and Releasit are totally unrelated. The Releasit formulations are our proprietary formulas. I think that Mist & Brush is a pretty good product - at least when we tested M&B it wasn't half bad (I think Releasit's better - but I'm also biased). But one thing is for certain - Steamway's juice and Releasit products are not the same!

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Releasit is a good product but I'd recommend shower feeding unles your using Basic or Punch... The EncapClean DS will make you cough due to the MLS in the formula. Some will say use bigger jets, I say shower feed it or use something else but that's just me...

If you're doing primarily residential try some of this:

http://encapstore.com/cart/index.php?ma ... cts_id=120

or this

http://encapstore.com/cart/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=61

or this

http://encapstore.com/cart/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=91

All 3 seem to clean pretty well and will do a fair job of deodorizing a "light funk" or general pet or food smell... Peroxellent from Vacaway is another good option as well.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Cool.
Is that price per gallon or case? :shock:

So many choices. ugh. lol

I'm not even cleaning yet but I want to get the skinny before I do.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Mist and brush IS releasit minus one ingredient that doesn't matter.

Superior has it for 24.95 a gallon. I used nothing but mist and brush for years. Works good for office chairs too, wax on wax off.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Here are a few differences between Mist & Brush and Releasit Encap-Clean DS

Steamway Mist & Brush contains Ammonium Laurel Sulfate.
Releasit Encap-Clean DS contains Magnesium Laurel Sulfate.
Doesn't sound like the same formula to me.

Steamway Mist & Brush mixes at 8 oz per gallon.
Releasit Encap-Clean DS mixes at 4 oz per gallon.

Steamway Mist & Brush does not contain Australian Tea Tree extract.
Releasit Encap-Clean DS contains Australian Tea Tree extract.

Steamway Mist & Brush does not contain a built-in fluoro chemical protector.
Releasit Encap-Clean DS contains a built-in fluoro chemical protector.

In side by side testing Releasit Encap-Clean DS cleans better than Steamway Mist & Brush.

The entire Releasit is built on proprietary formulas that belong to us.

But the rumors are fun aren't they?

Just for fun we've put together a little survey about the frequent comparisons to Releasit...
http://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/sur...a5a9915397089b3cfd3944440&sid=3007&cid=154507

releasit-results-small.png

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Brian R said:
Is there a protectant left on the carpet after cleaning with encap?
I know the crystallization and the vacuuming part.

Chem-Dry had an additive that protected the carpet as you cleaned although it wasn't an encap type cleaning.

Is this technology still used?

Thanks

In fact there are some fairly significant differences between encap products.

I'll start off by saying, there are a few decent encap products on the market. And there are a bunch of duds too.

So what makes a good encap detergent? Here's a brief list of things you might want to consider...

1. First of all - how does it clean? At the end of the day that's what matters most. And not all encap detergents clean as well as others.

2. What are the dilution rates? And does the product really perform well at those dilution rates, or do you need to bump it up to get the desired cleaning results.

3. Is the product cost effective to work with? It may be cheap to buy off the shelf, but does it truly work out to be cost effective to work with in its RTU (ready to use) state?

4. What kind of polymer is it made with? Does it contain a polymer package that readily absorbs soil? How does the product dry down in a saucer? Does the detergent stick to the dish or does it flake away from the dish? Is it sticky, or is it soil-resistant? (Keep in mind that the polymer is the package that absorbs soil - without a good polymer there won't be a way for the soil to be extracted during the post-vacuuming process).

5. If you add water to the polymer will it re-solublize? Will it return to a liquid state, and then dry to a crystallized residue all over again? This assures you that there's no way the product can ever "build up" in the carpet in the event that all the encapsulated residue doesn't get vacuumed up.

6. Does the product handle a wide range of soil conditions? How does it do with oily soils?

7. Does it produce a light foam that makes it easy to see how much product you've applied - so you've got a visible usage indicator as you're working?

8. Does the product have a built-in soil protector?

These are a few key differences between different encap (or so called "encap") products. Releasit products have all 8 of these characteristics nailed. I think that's why the Releasit line of products are as good as they are, and why we're setting the standard for encapsulation detergents in the industry.

P.S. Regarding the benefits of having a fluoro-chemical built into the detergent... Fluoro-chemicals lower surface tension. That's why the egg doesn't stick to the frying pan; because the surface tension of the pan is lower than the egg. Similarly, by lowering the surface tension of the detergent it helps to (1) make the water wetter - which aids the detergency of the cleaner, (2) it helps to get the polymer to release from the fiber more easily, (3) it helps to slow the wicking process, and (4) it adds a measure of soil-resistance.

P.P.S. But don't mistake the built-in protector with a full blown application of carpet protector. For maximum protection benefits you can apply a stand alone (after cleaning spray-on) protector product like Releasit's Soileze which is completely compatible with the encap polymer in the Releasit detergents.

P.P.P.S. I feel like Steve Toburen with the P.S.'s :p

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Re:

To quote Rick: "You're comparing apples to oranges here... The entire Releasit is built on proprietary formulas that belong to us. But the rumors are fun aren't they?"

Sheesh. Would you guys quit picking on Rick and admit that a) his stuff is good and b) nobody else corries it and c) it is "proprietary". There now. DONE!

IMO, you guys are not just comparing "apples to oranges here"- you are bickering over the taste difference between a Golden Delicious apple and a Macintosh apple. Why not just agree that they both are "good" and start eating them! Oh, wait a minute- these are the Drama Queens of Mikeysboard holding forth!

Island Boy
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS The challenge here is NOT which juice you use. It is actually getting out there and selling these contracts AND building "routes" run by part time employees using your Cimex machines and their personal vehicles to run the route all of which will create an incredible cash flow machine while you sit at home drinking a nice cold one and watching football! Whew! OR you can keep on following the old fun Seinfeld formula of a "show about nothing". (I loved that program and I'm addicted to the drama here. So part of me hopes you guys never get around to substantive issues such as how to actually do this stuff!) :)

Anyway, there is so much blatant marketing flying around on this thread I'm gonna timidly do something I've about quit doing on MB- post a link to a link to a free manual on how actually develop and run a regular, contract commercial encapsulation route. Download it for free if ya want and implement the "encap routes" using any of the juices ya want- to me the concept of high-profit, regular contract commercial "encap routes" is golden:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Thanks Steve T.....as usual.
I saved the file to the new computer and will be reading it like a bedtime story. :mrgreen:

Encap Man....Who is "We"? Your profile doesn't even have your name.
But thanks for the info. Very helpful....I don't mind the "mine's better than your's" posts from everyone.

That's what were here for. shiteatinggrin

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Tea Tree oil is a very effective disinfectant at higher levels. At the level that's in Releasit it adds some deodorizing properties.

Brian thanks for noticing that my profile was not up to date. I had actually updated it a couple of weeks ago, but now it's empty/wiped. Very strange. So I went ahead and updated the profile again. Let's see if it sticks this time. BTW "we" is mostly me and my wife, our staff at Excellent Supply (a group of truly awesome people), as well as the chemists that helped us develop the Releasit line, and the manufacturing facility that produces it for us.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
One more product that contains a flouro protector is Encapuclean with Maxim. The amount of Maxim is equal to about 1/3 the amount applied if you apply Maxim protector after cleaning. However, I don't think it offers 1/3 the protection.

If you HWE and then apply protector, the encap products can keep the proetctor at high level if the encap protector is used regularly.

The flouro polymers in some encap products are similar to fluoro polymers in protectors. So any encap product with flouro would provide some protector-like quality. But I would not be comfortable claiming that cleaning with any encap product is equivelent to applying a protector as an after spray.

As Rick has pointed out, any encap product contains some balance of cleaning ingredients and encap ingredients. If you get more of one, you often get less of the other. Finding the product that works best for your situation is part of what makes the marketing game so fun.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Thanks Scott...always a big help

For the Encap with flouros in them, will it clog up the jets if not cleaned out?

I've listed on the site that we will leave a protectant on the carpet but we offer a higher level of protectant as well. IE: Scotchgard etc.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Brian R said:
Thanks Scott...always a big help

For the Encap with flouros in them, will it clog up the jets if not cleaned out?

Not necessarily will clog up the jets, but it is possible. Because the flouro ingredient is only a portion of the product, it will not be near as likely to clog as a straight protector product.

I think it is a good idea to rinse out a sprayer with water after use no matter what you are applying. This is not only better for the jets but for life of seals and O rings.

keithk

I swear these boards anymore are like a big advertisement. Not necessarily a bad thing. I have been doing encap for about 6 months and have tried a lot of different products. I don't think you will find a huge difference when using them Brian. But what you will find is Rick and his staff at excellent Supply will give you more info, tech support, fair price, best dilution ratio, etc. then any others. Just my personal experience.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Thanks Keith, I've been looking into a few suppliers and getting referrals from some of the members here.

I know it will take a while to know what I like but I don't want to jump in with crap so the help is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom