Encap...what's the magic trick?

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
I'm on the cusp of finally purchasing an encapsulation machine and I think know the theory behind how it works (dirt is crystallized and makes the carpet appear clean), but somehow this isn't very intuitive. I know I will have a customer ask, "How exactly is this process cleaning my carpet when I don't see dirt being removed." Even I myself can't understand how a carpet appears clean through encapping, even without post-encap vacuuming. Can someone once and for all solve this mystery for me so that I can purchase this machine with complete confidence.

Pat Muller

Name
Pat Muller
Let's take a look at the mechanics of suspending soil,
In HWE we apply an alkaline prespray and agitate to break the bond soil has with the fiber and surround it in a soap bubble, we then use our extraction wand to rinse away the soil and the detergent.
In Encapsulation cleaning the mechanics are the same,
We apply our cleaning solution (encapsulation product) and agitate to break the bond the soil has with the fiber and surround it in a soap bubble, the difference here is the polymers in encapsulation products dry quickly to a very brittle crystal. When dry and the carpets are vacuumed, the vacuum shatters the crystal giving the soil and the crystal up to the vacuum.
So in essence, the mechanics are the same but the extraction tool is different.

I would highly recommend Chemspec EncapBrite II as it has a peroxide base that will help eliminate coffee, wine and juice stains without extra spotting needed

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm on the cusp of finally purchasing an encapsulation machine and I think know the theory behind how it works (dirt is crystallized and makes the carpet appear clean), but somehow this isn't very intuitive. I know I will have a customer ask, "How exactly is this process cleaning my carpet when I don't see dirt being removed." Even I myself can't understand how a carpet appears clean through encapping, even without post-encap vacuuming. Can someone once and for all solve this mystery for me so that I can purchase this machine with complete confidence.

you tell 'em it's shampoo, like they did in 1942...only now there's a special pixie dust additive .
explain that Little Pixies shear the soil off the top of fiber and drag it down to the base..where they hide it from view

or you do com when no one is around 'cept the night janitor ...and they don't GAS, cause they're likely under paid and just want to get the trash can emptied, toilet paper in the holders and get the fook out....

..L.T.A.

Reactions: FredC and ruff

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Pat's answer was well thought out and informative. And Larry's comment was, well, what we'd expect.

To add one more aspect to the fine description that Pat gave... Carpet has a tremendous ability to hide soil. Carpet consists of fiber and space. Displacing soil from the visible surface in a dilution of encap detergent and moving it out of view is what's actually occurring. That's why the carpet "looks" clean right after it's been scrubbed - even before the post vacuuming occurs.

Then as the carpet dries the soil that's suspended in a good crystallizing encap detergent can be extracted through the post vacuuming process. Keep in mind that the fiber is flexible, so a brittle polymer is naturally going to shear from the fiber as the fiber flexes. That's why the next vacuuming, as well as with subsequent vacuumings - more and more soil will continue to be recovered. Yet the carpet will look clean initially without vacuuming.

Since a good polymerized encap detergent is not sticky like some traditional detergents, there's no soil attracting residue left in the carpet. Instead the carpet will resist re-soiling. This further underscores the need for having an encap detergent that contains a good quantity of polymer. In fact, the reason why many so called encap products fail to perform well is because their formula contains little or no polymer. Encapsulation polymers are costly. By comparison, the other ingredients in a detergent are much less expensive. That may account for the differences between some of the encap products performance.

Releasit products are loaded with an Encap polymer that serves three roles: (1) It does a very effective job of capturing soil, even oily soils. (2) It releases from the fiber readily so it can be recovered with vacuuming. And (3) It resists resoiling.

Hopefully that helps explain the mechanics of what's going on a little bit for you. Feel free to call me too, and I'll be happy to try to walk you through it. 800-330-1888.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Add to Larry's info that there's absolutely no information available about long term effect of encapsulation residue and or polymer, either to occupants health and or actual soil removal and it will be more complete.

The consensus seems to be that it leaves the carpet looking great, which in commercial work seem to be the only thing that really matters.

Try selling the peddlers' version to the mom with infants and pets and let's see where it gets you. Though there's been a very successful and super aggressive franchise that did quite well pushing claims, just as entertaining.

Theirs, if memory serves me right, were dirt fighting bubbles.

Last edited:
Reactions: JS41035

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
.. Carpet has a tremendous ability to hide soil. Carpet consists of fiber and space. Displacing soil from the visible surface in a dilution of encap detergent and moving it out of view is what's actually occurring.

that's just what I said..and just what's happening

now the boloney part is telling them all this pixie dust gets vac'd up
You know there isn't vac on the planet short of pile brush that will get to the base of a tight loop pile com (where all the suspended goo ends up)
I'd venture a guess at least half the janitors vaccing are using a backpack with no roll brush at all

I use encRap, Rick..i know what it's capable of an where the dirt goes

..L.T.A.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Hey guys.

Been a while sorry for not calling. This one got my attention when I came by today. Here is Bill Yeadon explaining more or less what Rick just did so eloquently. Obviously putting aside the differences in each mans chemical of choice, as Bill says in his video, the soil ends up in the "primary backing".

Grant

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Is it going to come out here in a few years that encap causes some kind of cancer?

In a world that is begining to take indoor air quality seriously, is introducing a formulated polymer into a structure for it to be vacuumed up morally correct, know full well how much of that polymer will float in the air from normal traffic and vacuuming?

Am I paranoid? Because at one time asbestos was the economical solution that had great results. All with smiley faces and thumbs ups and what nots.

Reactions: ruff and Art Kelley

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Is it going to come out here in a few years that encap causes some kind of cancer?
More likely they find out those "Big machines" were bad for the environment and caused the operators to lose their hearing.....and their senses." ;)

Seriously I'd look at some of the products you use daily as a more serious threat to your health.

Reactions: Paul Demers
Name
Marcus
If I remember correctly some bonnet shampoo sprays have some kinda brightener in them....
I was told it somehow tricks the eyes to make the carpet look new.....
I would guess there are some brighteners in these encap shampoos....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No I don't believe there are. However there is something going on there.

Last year I was at a commercial job where we had 6-Cimex's running and we were getting hot water from out Butler in a box. I was about to leave but thought I'd hit the worst area with HWE before I left them. That Butler was smoking hot and just cut right though the dirt and grease.

As I'm standing there with wand in hand happy about slaying the dragon, one of the crew comes over laughing at me. They said hang on and went over what I thought looked great from HWE. The encap killed what I had done.

The area he went over "looked" cleaner & brighter than the HWE. They went over everything I had done and told me to go home. :lol:
Bastards!

Do I believe the HWE removed more soil yes, did it look as good as the encap, NO. This account we've had for 5-years and we clean it twice a year and once a year we HWE the entry and only for my piece of mind because we could do all encap and it would most likely look just as good.

Several years ago I too was a one trick pony, but now we use HWE, Encap and OP, which ever system works to our advantage. :cool:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was the one cleaning with HWE!

I hide nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley-angelic002.gif

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If I remember correctly some bonnet shampoo sprays have some kinda brightener in them....
I was told it somehow tricks the eyes to make the carpet look new.....
I would guess there are some brighteners in these encap shampoos....

No brighteners in Bridgepoint's Encapuclean products. I would expect no optical brighteners in any of the major brands.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
The only Encapsulation (Shampoo) machine worth using is the Cimex IMO.

I hope that is what you ordered.
I helped another cleaner out recently. He lives in a neighboring state and it was a fair hike to get there. When I dud I got to use a Amex. great machine l, terrific agitation.

I only have a 175. I have a shampoo tank and do use it for encap work.

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Do you REALLY believe they will ask how it works once they see that the carpets are clean? Have you gotten this question yet? (I know where you aw coming from and when we first started offering encap I had the same concern)

It's good to be prepared if you do, but I think you will find they won't ask how...

Honestly, when it comes to commercial work, they care about price and results. Once they see the results (it really looks clean) they don't care how you got it that way.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Do you REALLY believe they will ask how it works

some have
Believe it or not, some care and actually want it "cleaned" (meaning actually removing soil) some don't care as long as it "looks" better .
Even fewer care when i tell them if they want it "clean", it'll cost thi$ much.. if they just want it to look better , it'll cost thi$ much

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think some will have the concerns. With those I've found if we can just demo an area, even if free, it sold the job.

I understand their concerns, we initially had them too. However have several years of using the system we are confident in what we can do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom