Equipment for Starting a Carpet Cleaning Service

CCParramatta

Looking to start a new carpet cleaning business. I am looking for low cost but good quality, effective equipment.
I want to buy only portable equipment (as opposed to truck mounted).

Interested to hear your collective experience because obviously this is a significant investment so I want to make sure I'm buying the correct cleaning equipment.

Name
I'm Rick James
Why use a portable, when you can buy a used truckmount? Portable cleaning is best reserved for high rise building or in places like downtown NY City. In a typical residential setting, the truckmount is the standard... just like encap is best served in commercial settings and not residential.

I rolled with a porty many years ago, but would never go that route again with my daily user. I set up my nephew with a TM and van for under $3 grand.. and it works like a charm, with a good looking van. There are a lot of good deals on CL for units and vans that cost less than a new porty.

I have been in this industry for around 13 years and people will NOT use you because you run a portable. I get at least one customer a week making sure I use a TM unit.

Thats my experience...

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Werter said:
I have been in this industry for around 13 years and people will NOT use you because you run a portable.
i guess they won't use Werter with a porty, but they'll use you...don't buy into that line of thought !gotcha!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
If you buy the right used TM, it will hold it's value much better than a porty. My first used TM/ van was 5k and I sold it for 5k after 2 years of use. used porty sell for .25 on the dollar if your lucky.

CCParramatta

Thanks so much for all the helpful messages.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but can someone explain a bit more about TM units? Is that a van with an inbuilt cleaning unit? Are there problems with reach? I'd be happy for a bit of a run down. It seems harder to use than a portable unit.

Name
I'm Rick James
Derek said:
Werter said:
I have been in this industry for around 13 years and people will NOT use you because you run a portable.
i guess they won't use Werter with a porty, but they'll use you...don't buy into that line of thought !gotcha!

I take it you don't own a TM?

You should buy into that "line of thought", you ask any business owner here and they will tell you to go with a TM.. the only ones who are opposed to it dont have a TM and probably cant afford one. Cause really why use a porty when you can use a TM. :shock:

Name
I'm Rick James
CCParramatta said:
Thanks so much for all the helpful messages.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but can someone explain a bit more about TM units? Is that a van with an inbuilt cleaning unit? Are there problems with reach? I'd be happy for a bit of a run down. It seems harder to use than a portable unit.

You have a standard van with a slide in unit that has an engine powering a pump and blower.. with various forms of heat. Depending on the size of machine you can reach very far, most of my rig outs are only around 100 ft anyways.

Portables take more time to use, you don't get the heat or performance that you would get with a TM. If you do a side by side with a TM and porty.. you will see that a TM will blow away a porty in all aspects.

You can get a used TM and sometimes the van too for the price of a new pimped out porty.. just understand image is very important in this industry so dont use a clunker van with dents and a crappy paint job.

What is your budget.?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
guys, he's from Australia
i think TM's might cost a small fortune over there

and their vans aren't very big either ...not to mention, the steering wheel is on the wrOng side too...

Dave, have you asked this question on the Aussie boards??

and forgive my ignorance, but do you folks use the same electric as the us?
or is your electric service like Europe's ??

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
here Larr...now we can call yous Mr Knowitsome...

Plugging InElectrical sockets (outlets) in the Commonwealth of Australia are the "Type I" Australian AS-3112 type. If your appliance's plug doesn't match the shape of these sockets, you will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in. Travel plug adapters simply change the shape of your appliance's plug to match whatever type of socket you need to plug into. (Note: The Australian standard is very similar to the Chinese CPCS-CCC and Argentine IRAM sockets. Although the three standards are technically different, they are practically interchangeable, and are all grouped together under the general, unofficial "Type I" classification. The same adapter can be used in sockets of all three standards.)
Adapter for "Type I" Australian AS-3112

ELECTRICAL.jpg

But the shape of the socket is only half the story!
Electrical sockets (outlets) in the Commonwealth of Australia usually supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC. If you're plugging in an appliance that was built for 220-240 volt electrical input, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then an adapter is all you need.

But travel plug adapters do not change the voltage, so the electricity coming through the adapter will still be the same 220-240 volts the socket is supplying. North American sockets supply electricity at between 110 and 120 volts, far lower than in most of the rest of the world. Consequently, North American appliances are generally built for 110-120 volts.

But that doesn't mean that your specific appliance isn't already compatible with the higher voltage -- it may very well be.

CCParramatta

Werter said:
You have a standard van with a slide in unit that has an engine powering a pump and blower.. with various forms of heat. Depending on the size of machine you can reach very far, most of my rig outs are only around 100 ft anyways.

Portables take more time to use, you don't get the heat or performance that you would get with a TM. If you do a side by side with a TM and porty.. you will see that a TM will blow away a porty in all aspects.

You can get a used TM and sometimes the van too for the price of a new pimped out porty.. just understand image is very important in this industry so dont use a clunker van with dents and a crappy paint job.

What is your budget.?

Thanks for the rundown, exactly what I needed. Not sure of prices, I want the least expensive piece of equipment that will do a fine job.

Yes, I'm in Australia and not aware of any specific Australian forums.

Name
I'm Rick James
There are a couple of people on this forum that come from the land down under and can help you find what you need.

Look for a guy named Shorty.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Hi Dave,

Nice to see you over here. We are the largest supplier here in Australia, but what the guys here have said is true.

Portables are the cheapest option to get started with, but quite a few of the guys in your area are all running truck mounts.

And yes Larry, we do have a different power source over here compared to the USA. We have a big rigmarole using any US manufactured device over here. It takes us about 6 or 7 months work for each Mytee portable to pass Australian regulations.

Feel free to visit our website Dave - http://www.powerclean.com.au

And another thing - you might want to change your website URL like yesterday. You cannot operate a business here in Australia under the .ORG extension. I don't want to see you marketing it, only to have someone tell you to change it 12 months down the track after you have spend money promoting it. Get a .com.au extension.

Also, on your youtube video thats on your website you have used pictures of a portable, but the image you have used for the wand is a 15" damweld wand which is only used on TM's. I hope that you if you actually have a portable, you aren't using that wand with it as you will be over wetting the carpets real bad not matter what portable you have it hooked up too.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Hi Dave, I'm a bit slow............ but welcome.

A few missed points in the above posts.

First though, before I forget. !gotcha!

http://www.australianforums.biz/

This is the Aussie forum that you want for info on gear WORKABLE in Australia.

Bob mentioned 110/220-240 volts.

That is part of the story, the other is the 50-60 hertz to be compatible with the voltage.

Buying electrical equipment direct from the 'states may be cheaper, BUT, does it comply with Australian Standards for electrical equipment. :?: :?:

Sure, some of these items will work, until an electrical inspector asks to see your certification for Australian Standards as required by the electrical authorities, as alluded to by Jim.

Then because you do not have it, it could cost you your equipment as well as a lot of money in court, possibly even a coffin if you happen to be electrocuted.

Australian distributors ( the reputable ones ), spend a lot of time and money ensuring that imported equipment is up to scratch BEFORE any equipment is handed over to the authorities for their scrutiny.

Then there is the question of warranty, who will cover it, what delays can be expected, etc;

Remember the old cliche' ??

When in Rome, do as the Romans do......................

Buy local and buy Aussie made.

If possible.

If you have any questions and I can answer them, hit me with an email.

getshortycairns@iig.com.au

If I can help, I'm only to happy to.

Shorty.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
A porty is fine to START with, but trust me save, save & save then get a mid size TM. The porty is so much more work, I used ours for 4/5 years. Job with porty will take at least twice as long and you'll hate every minute of it. I didn't hate it at first, but as you get more busy - the more you hate it(the porty)!

our tm is 320 a month and the best money I ever spent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom