Estimatar/Project Manager/Tech

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Estimator/Project Manager/Tech

I'm not large enough to have 1 of each, but I would like to know what should I be paying my guys to be able to go on the job, inspect/estimate the whole job, do whatever they can to start the work (remove water, bring/setup equip, monitor, measure scope, write work order, tasks, etc), and project mng the job not only when he's out there but but also if he has to overlook someone else.

Would I be paying them same as carpet (full commission)?
If so, would the commission rate would be higher for jobs up to a certain job amount and lower for less?
What if there are 2? Same cut?
Hourly better?

I'm just trying to figure this out, since labor work as in tear out, will not always be by him, unless he's able to and or no one else can do it.

I also don't want to get my main carpet tech pissed w/ working passed certain hours of the day/night, and or not the typical carpet cleaning type of job, since this involves much more work.

How do some of you guys do it?

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Normal rates during hours.
Service call fee plus normal rates after hours.
OT anytime either are >40.

When isht hits the fan, and we are working 2-3 days straight, sleeping in vans - bonus structure set at gross revenues to make it worthwhile and keep them finding the will and energy to keep going.

IMO, commissions are a hairy proposition on restoration, unless you figure it out on net and not gross - and what happened to me was cherry picking.

Reactions: tmdry

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
IMO, commissions are a hairy proposition on restoration, unless you figure it out on net and not gross - and what happened to me was cherry picking.
Commission can be tough, one of my competitors a few years back was growing by leaps and bounds, his guys were commission and they would only do what was making them the biggest commission. If it was grunt work like tear out or mitigation they would do little of it and just throw equipment in there for days even a week. It eventually caught up to them his company is just a shadow of what it once was.

If you can control it I think you would be fine but his company was out of control, something that can happen during rapid growth. Growth is only good if you have a plan and the infrastructure to handle it, otherwise it can be destructive.

We pay hourly, time & half after regular hours, double after midnight or Sundays with bonus's for after hours losses. Generally speaking Lead tech's $25-$35K depending how much they work, Supervisors $45-$60K depending how much they work.

Eager beavers can make good money if they want but If you're not motivated and don't want to put in the time, don't come to me crying about needing more money. The work is always there.

Reactions: tmdry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom