Ethanol free fuel, for vans?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
So we have a few stations selling ethanol free gas here... they say more mpgs and its better for small engines. So its more expensive. But wandering if I should switch to help protect the vans and the tms? Anyone using this?

Samsung galaxy S 4

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
What Michael said, only the longer version.

Most newer vehicles run fine on gasoline with ethanol in it, but it has less "bang" so mileage will be less. The percentage of ethanol and price difference are the key to which is better for a vehicle that is in constant use. The ethanol free places around here charge about the same price, but there aren't very many.

Ethanol creates some problems for vehicles not in daily use or if stored in cans for use in small engines. It will absorb water from the air while the ethanol also evaporates. A sitting tank of gas starting out at 10% ethanol will become about 7% water, so it might be worth buying straight gasoline for your motorized toys or the spare truck.

PS: Most marinas carry only ethanol free gas.

Reactions: Derek
Name
Eric Valentine
Non ethanol is called Regular here. 10% ethanol is mid-grade, and $.10 more expensive at 99% of stations.
I have a 1994 Buick that gets around 15% BETTER mileage with straight gasoline. The BMW motorcycle says NOT to use any ethanol in it.
I only use ethanol blends in the winter in vehicles. Non ethanol year round in the TM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom