Expanding O rings in Pump Handsprayers

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a couple of pump up hand sprayers on my truck. I use them for different things.
Upholstery pre spray and also for a spray that I mix for really dirty greasy spots like in restaurants going int to the kitchen for example.That spray might be the cause for my problem.
It's double strength Chemeister grease eraser and Prochem Citrus Pro mixed with very hot water.
I didn't come up with this myself, Chemeisters website suggests it as a "Magic Potion " for difficult areas.
So my sprayer# 1 is the green Hydro Force which has a large O ring in the lid that creates the seal to the container.
After using the sprayer for my grease solution the O ring expanded to the point where it would just fall out of the lid when I was trying to screw it on.
My #2 pump up hand sprayer is a Hudson. It has a different way to seal the lid to the container and it held up better but in the inside the plunger has a rubber O ring and it has expanded now as well and the pumping is no longer possible.

So I'm wondering:
What causes the O rings to expand like this. The Citrus Pro,the chemeister grease eraser or the heat?
Are there any sources for O rings that can hold up better?
The Green Hydro Force Sprayer is supposed to be really good for everything but I'm very disappointed with it. Recently I almost could not get it to seal for a 200.- upholstery job. I had to crank it closed as hard as I could to get it to seal. To the point where I almost could not open it anymore to refill, and I'm a pretty strong guy.
So I bought a second green Hydroforce and I'm going to baby it.I'm only going to use it for mild upholstery prespray with luke warm water. I think it should hold up OK.
Is there a better hand pump sprayer for what I'm doing? One that will stand up to 200 degrees of heat and can handle the mixture of chemicals?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I called Hydroforce and they told me that the expanding of the O rings is caused by the Citrus Pro that I'm using in the spray.
I also called Hudson sprayers and they told me that their rubber O rings would not expand from citrus because they are made of Viton rubber and they blamed it on the high heat.They will send me a new O ring free of charge.

Hydroforce told me that rebuild kits and spare O rings are no longer available from the manufacturer of that sprayer. So once the rings go, the thing is toast.They are going to come out with a new model sprayer.Too bad I just bought a second one of the green hydro force sprayers.Oh well, it wasn't terribly expensive.
At this point it seems like Hudson is the way to go as far as hand pump sprayers go.Better sprayer, better service.
But I still don't know what causes the Expansion of the O rings.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I saw there was a reply and clicked to see if there was a dick joke yet. Expanding, hand pump…too easy.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
ACE said:
I saw there was a reply and clicked to see if there was a dick joke yet. Expanding, hand pump…too easy.
I was wondering how I would best describe the problem without going there.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom