Explain this …

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
I am the new guy, so speak slowly in your responses.

How is it that I, a newly minted CCT and UPT graduate, am expected to be held to the IICRC standards … but do not actually get access to the standards by which I am expected to perform … unless I … pay more money … to be able to read the entire standard?

Asking for an entire cohort of people who actually certified, but cant afford to pay more money read the standard I am supposed to follow?

I wonder why certification numbers are down.

Mikey P

Administrator

How is it that I, a newly minted CCT and UPT graduate, am expected to be held to the IICRC standards … but do not actually get access to the standards by which I am expected to perform … unless I … pay more money … to be able to read the entire standard?

Asking for an entire cohort of people who actually certified, but cant afford to pay more money read the standard I am supposed to follow?

Great question...

Reactions: aaronjumps

FredC

Village Idiot
Why? $555253 in revenue (2021)

but seriously you're talking about a $100 here to have the standards (carpet and upholstery).......

I'm wondering why you would expect them to be included........and if they were why you wouldn't think the class would just cost more making the training itself less affordable

SamIam

Name
sam miller

That's all technically stuff......

Just clean baby....

Keep Mike on speed dial and bug him hahahaha

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Actually the class should teach you enough to not ruin stuff.

Follow the standards with chemicals and spotting.

And give you one confidence to know what your talking about.

Just don't get all Waldo on me and say I have to groom every carpet because your teacher said so.

Hahahah joking good luck out there.

F

FB7777

in the bigger picture, $100 for a print or digital manual you likely will barely , if ever, refer to is immaterial

the classes provide a manual to follow along and you keep that… the Standards, while considered the industry ‘bible’ is additional information

only industry manual I ever purchased was the Restoration Blue Book 15 years, just to get pricing references
And inclusions so slimy adjuster‘s don’t chisel me too badly

if you are paying attention during class you’ll learn things

if you open up the Standards, you’ll learn even more things

knowledge is good , you can monetize far more than what you paid for the education

Think of the Standards like a Sales Add-on to enhance revenue… it’s like getting a basic lesson in marketing for your business 😀

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
Why? $555253 in revenue (2021)

but seriously you're talking about a $100 here to have the standards (carpet and upholstery).......

I'm wondering why you would expect them to be included........and if they were why you wouldn't think the class would just cost more making the training itself less affordable
Have you tried a Baconator?
I have. It’s ok.

Mikey P

Administrator
I showed your concern to some fellow IICRC folks.. Screenshot_20220430-081455.pngScreenshot_20220430-081410.png

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I can tell by the response that he's better off buying a glide.

Why isn't there an included PDF that all students can download when they take the online class? Seems like this would be a compulsory item. Nope, they feel the need to skim another $100 off their members that can be justified by averaging out the costs over time and claiming a tax write-off. I don't think the IICRC will be around much longer at this rate.

Last edited:
F

FB7777

I can tell by the response that he's better off buying a glide.

Why isn't there an included PDF that all students can download when they take the online class? Seems like this would be a compulsory item. Nope, they feel the need to skim another $100 off their members that can be justified by averaging out the costs over time and claiming a tax write-off. I don't think the IICRC will be around much longer at this rate.
I’ve managed 34 years without them

steve_64

Where else are you expected to follow guidelines after passing an exam to get certified yet are expected to do it from memory?

Carpet cleaners are a special breed.

• Haha
Reactions: FB7777

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
I showed your concern to some fellow IICRC folk
That is awesome!

So I get a few things from these responses:

1. Its gonna change. Ok, so … um … actually I don't find a super relevant argument there. Of course they are gonna change, but that is immaterial to my question. It would be in the best interest of the longterm health of the IICRCs image & reputation for cleaners to actually understand the standards by which they are expected to perform. I am now certified, so if and when I bone something up it is not only my reputation that I tarnish because the IICRC takes some smoke too since they certified me.

2. Its not that much money after all when averaged out over 5 years. Thats not an unfair argument, but I still have to write a $100 check. If I could realize the expense over the course of 5 years it would be better. Other industries leverage a subscription model that solves this issue.

3. Individual techs are not gonna use them anyway, which begs an entirely different, and substantially more problematic question about the practical value the standards offer in the first place. The techs who implement the standards, especially brand new techs who dont know anything, seem like the primary audience for the standards, not a secondary afterthought.

Again, I am sure there are tons of things and context I am missing, but I am just trying to make sense of it.

Mark_R

Name
Mark Ristow
It's a great question, and it shows aaronjumps is serious about being an excellent carpet & upholstery tech.

Here's another perspective on purchasing / studying the standard, fwiw:

Consider the ISO 9001 quality standard. Don't worry about it if you don't know what it is - however, you've probably seen the signs and flags outside of manufacturing companies with "ISO 9001 Certified," right? A company gets ISO 9001 certification to show they are compliant with an international quality management system standard. You can purchase and download said standard for $139. I'm not saying you should. Just that you can.

If you were to stand at the work entrance of such an ISO 9001 certified company having 100 employees or more at the start of each shift and ask each employee entering if they own a copy of that ISO standard (not even asking them if they ever bothered to read it), guess what the percentage who own a copy would be? Less than 1%. Now think about that.

Only upper management, would have a copy, and that might be limited to the one person whose responsibility it was to get the certification in the first place. And the auditors would just use the company's copy, if at all. They wouldn't own it. They would likely just have checklists the company made up for them.

So what about all the employees? They're trained to perform their job optimally. They don't need the standard for that. They just need their work instructions.

Oh, there may be 1 in 10,000 who buy it because they are intellectually curious and have nothing better to do. But it's not necessary.

The approach that is used among such companies amounts to "Just do your job properly and the company will be compliant with the standard - we've seen to that."

Personally, when I got my first several IICRC certifications: CCT, UPT, WDR, etc... I bought the standards. They sat in a file box on my truck. I never used them. But I was proud I had them. At least, for a few years. And I told myself I was supporting the IICRC. I don't think I wrote them off my taxes (LOL). As my company grew, I never showed them to my employees. I sent each employee to get IICRC certified. I think that's important.

But owning the Standard? Nah.

FWIW

Oh, and if the Standard were free, yeah we'd probably all download it because we all want FREE. And it sounds "important." But would it change anything in a tangible or practical way in our company or how we clean? Nope. Not really.

Last edited:

sassyotto

Name
Paul
As my company grew, I never showed them to my employees. I sent each employee to get IICRC certified. I think that's important.
thats what a lot of companies do. For the most part, its a vacation for the techs, an expensive one at that. So heres an idea....

Take the information they need, incorporating your companies cleaning processes AND the IICRC guidelines and use that in monthly training meetings! That way YOU control what they know and the way they do the work, not the IICRC. and it saves you money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom