Extension cords on porty "warm/Hot"

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Could this be a warning sign of problems to come?
should I switch them to 12 gauge?

I switched Pig tail cords on my mytee to 25 ft cords-- they mignt be 14 gauge cords.?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
from what i haved learned from my 220 stone machines, is bad connection = resistance= heat

Either spades are dirty, corrosion, or.... ss wire brush and electrical grease may help

Also, HOME DEpot , cords are crap, the 14? and 12? guage, expensive ones, on the female plug, only has a sliver of metal for connection, and one new cord started smoking in customers home.....returned all 8 I had purchased

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim what would cause a cord to melt at the connection? Can a new end be put on or would you replace the whole cord?

cord drawing to many amps...outlet has to much on it...wrong gauge cord...outlet itself can be bad...to long of a cord for what is running it.....the wire inside the sheathing is to twisted....there is a handful of things that can cause this...
a cord cap can be put on it but taking into consideration what it is being used for he should just buy a new 25 foot 12/3 cord...and be done with it...
yellow jacket cords at home depot are pretty good...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
something more important to think about....if that cord is heating up because the portable is fighting to draw the electrical that it needs to run...what do you figure it is doing to all the electrical components...motors and things in the portable.....

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Ok Thanks Guys!! Cord is twisted and Ive changed plugs a few times too. I think I'm just to change them all to new 12 gauge cords.

Reactions: Willy P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Go for the cabtire John- it's heavy, not as cheap as the Home Depot- Walmart crap, but it's the best bang for your buck. I'm absolutely anal about my cords as they separate you from possible death , fires and all kinds of nasties. Hubbell plugs are the best I've found in the last thirty years.

Reactions: Mikey P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Jim and Carl are right about all the possibilities that would cause a plug/outlet to get hot. I would add one more thing. One of the causes of high resistance/poor connection is very old receptacles that are worn out and have lost their ability to grip the plug's prongs. Have you ever plugged something in and the plug went in so easy it seemed it would fall out on it's own? That's a recipe for a poor connection, heat, and failure. When you encounter such outlets do yourself a favor and find a different one to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom