Facts straight for the Google Map thing

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, so I've caught hell from people before...usually out of ignorance....and that's ok.
What we don't understand, we attack.

Before I ever got on Google about 10 years ago, I noticed that Google put me on their search engine without me lifting a finger.
Great right? Right.
So I claimed that address...just so happens the address they listed was a suite address at a UPS store that I used for mailing. I didn't want price shoppers or other physcopaths to know where I lived.
Plenty use PO boxs for the same reason..I'm not the Lone Ranger.

In the major cities around me, I rented suite address' at the local UPS store for mailing purposes and those address' made it onto my licenses and then Google picked them up.
Yes, whenever I saw my name on Google I would claim that listing

Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you want to do it before some other dirtbag company claimed it and started using your name?

So if anyone is thinking that I am being dishonest or was being dishonest has their own issues to deal with.

I've explained it before...but now I am making a point to let everyone know.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Google Wrote
* Do not create listings at locations where the business does not physically exist. There is a reason UPS stores rent suites and not PO boxs
* PO Boxes do not count as physical locations. See above
* Do not create more than one listing for each business location, either in a single account or multiple accounts. I didn't
* Businesses that operate in a service area as opposed to a single location should not create a listing for every city they service. Service area businesses should create one listing for the central office of the business only. I didn't start it...Google did.
* Businesses with special services, such as law firms and doctors, should not create multiple listings to cover all of their specialties. N/A
* The precise address for the business must be provided in place of broad city names or cross-streets. It is
* A property for rent is not considered a place of business. Please create one listing for the central office that processes the rentals. If you'd like, you can add your real estate properties to Google Maps so that they are available on our Real Estate layer. N/A

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
FCC said:
People on Google places in your areas SHOULD report you.........sorry

You can "report" anyone for anything...that doesn't make it right.

But accusing someone of anything usually places that label on them no matter what...at least for a little while.

I'll will fight to the death with anyone, but I won't screw with another mans income or family.

That's just chicken shit in the true sense of the word.

And before you say I'M screwing with other companies...I'm not...there is enough business out there for everyone....have you seen how much internet real estate Service Magic has?
They may be a crappy company and even screw guys by not sending them quality work...but it's still a legit business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
FCC said:
Come on Brian...do you really want to do this? The FACT is that you are in violation of Google's TOS. Companies in areas that you service who are playing by the rules SHOULD report you rather than copying your violations to compete.

I'm just saying don't pretend you're not bending the rules or that other BDCCs just don't understand.

You're right...but Google started this...not me.

I will admit that I never saw the guidlines before this happened and I kept it going.

I took down most of my ads anyway because I didn't think they were doing any good. Waste of money.

Google merges them after a while anyway...even under different address

I know it doesn't fit into the guidlines...I am just arguing the general idea and playing Devils Advocate.

I still don't think anyone should report a company that isn't harming children or something like that.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian,

Pleading ignorance doesn't allow you to break the rules.

Google is enforcing the rules and handing out more spankings than ever before.

If you want to play games you'll loose.

Do you think Google is not aware of listing fake addresses?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Google can eat my shorts. In fact the carpet cleaning industry and most of the cleaning consumers can eat another pair. In this business you do what you have to do. This insane unregulated carpet industry has built a playing field of refuge cleaners and often complete idiots. It's left behind a completely damaged and uneducated consumer base.

Ya so what' my point? My point is Google (the richest fu..s on the planet) and their algorithms and their rules don't mean anything to me as well. If I bend their rules to keep my anonymity in this cruel world I'll bloody well do it. We're talking about Google here people, bloody hell they are the poster child for self serving capitalist on-line rulers. Rules?, guildlines?, if I want to play by the rules and feel good about it I'll join a local mens softball team.

I've said it on other forums as well but I'm going to say it again and then run off the my first job. This is the world of business and there's nothing fair. You left fair back in the boy scouts when you entered into the business world. Even if you punch a clock somewhere you're in a world of unfair. All that leaves you with competing. Every frigging day I drive around my community with my overloaded van I'm competing and with some of the dumbest f..ks on the planet.

What ever I do crafty or not, hook or by crook, fair or unfair to get me in front of a customer to deliver some good old fashioned performance with a smile and get called back the next time, you can bet I'm going to do it. Right now in my area, Google ranks a cleaning company ahead of me who's violating my established trade mark name. You think I'm gonna cry about it and continue down some self imposed ethical high road and play by some "rules".

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
Brian,

Pleading ignorance doesn't allow you to break the rules.

Google is enforcing the rules and handing out more spankings than ever before.

If you want to play games you'll loose.

Do you think Google is not aware of listing fake addresses?

I wasn't pleading ignorance. When I read the guidlines I still didn't GAS about it.
I'm just saying...I was playing by Google's rules of breaking the "rules".
They started this...I just ran with it.

I really don't see what the problem is....but I like the way Scott just put it.
I'm not gonna rob a bank but I'm sure an hell not going to cower down to my "competitions" rules either.
I paid for those locations...they were mine and Google found the listings and placed them for me.
Is Google all knowing?

Damn Scott...you got me all in an uproar now. :lol:
You're like Mel Gibson from Braveheart. Thanks :D

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I can report carpet cleaners all day long...doesn't make it right.
Malicious attempts to get someone blackballed is again, Chicken Shit...whether they justify it or not.

The "Rules" are different from TV, to Radio and to the Internet. What next.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
FCC said:
Chickenshit or not I'd do it in a heartbeat if you were showing in my hood using those tactics......and I wouldn't stop there.

Nothing personal of course.......I think I've helped you enough to show that.......

Yeah, I know you're a good guy. I'm not calling you that...it was just a general statement to whoever does do it.
Of course it's probably been done plenty since the start of this thread. lol

I get myself into more trouble by not keeping my fingers quiet. :lol:

clnr76063

you hypocrit-you won't do anything to mess with a man's income.Kettle-pot.When you represent yourself to be something you are not or someplace you're not you are messing with other carpet cleaner's income.If every business in any area all did what you do google pages would look like a slot machine.
As far as all's fair in business be sure to pass that on to you grandchildren.Sounds like the mob.You don't see honest cleaners who try and do what you do.It would go against their character.Just another case of wrong is right and right is wrong. The Bible talks about that.Of course those who think all's fair don't agree with what it says either.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
clnr76063 said:
you hypocrit-you won't do anything to mess with a man's income.Kettle-pot.When you represent yourself to be something you are not or someplace you're not you are messing with other carpet cleaner's income.If every business in any area all did what you do google pages would look like a slot machine.
As far as all's fair in business be sure to pass that on to you grandchildren.Sounds like the mob.You don't see honest cleaners who try and do what you do.It would go against their character.Just another case of wrong is right and right is wrong. The Bible talks about that.Of course those who think all's fair don't agree with what it says either.

You just don't get it do you?...You don't.
If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I'm just gonna say, NO you don't HAVE to follow googles rules but then again google doesn't HAVE to list your stuff on THEIR search engine. Personally I wouldn't want to screw with them too much.

The logic of "well google did it first" just doesn't fly. You should look at that as google was doing you a favor and enjoy it while it lasts, not as a license to break their rules.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Joey Johnston said:
I'm just gonna say, NO you don't HAVE to follow googles rules but then again google doesn't HAVE to list your stuff on THEIR search engine. Personally I wouldn't want to screw with them too much.

The logic of "well google did it first" just doesn't fly. You should look at that as google was doing you a favor and enjoy it while it lasts, not as a license to break their rules.

Well said.

Except for the "doesn't HAVE to list your stuff on THEIR search engine" part. Without the listings they are nothing.
But I understand that they have to keep it uncluttered to work. I actually do work in those areas so it isn't as scamish as one would say or think. I just followed their example and I am now cutting it down a bit.
Thanks

Name
steve snail
clnr76063 said:

Dude...30 years in the biz, and you seem worried that and internet biz is going to mess with your income? If 85-90% of your customers are not referral or repeat..best look in the mirror.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
30 years and 7 posts here. I would hope that most here wouldn't give the guy the credibility he is looking for.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I found out why google will spank us for additional address use. Organic searchs going the way of my 8 track player?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/introducing-google-places.html
Introducing Google Places

4/20/2010 05:00:00 AM
A new, simple way to advertise: For just $25 per month, businesses in select cities can make their listings stand out on Google.com and Google Maps with Tags. As of today, we’re rolling out Tags to three new cities — Austin, Atlanta and Washington, D.C. — in addition to ongoing availability in Houston and San Jose, CA. In the coming weeks we'll also be introducing Tags in Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, Boulder and San Francisco.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Newman said:
I found out why google will spank us for additional address use. Organic searchs going the way of my 8 track player?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/introducing-google-places.html
Introducing Google Places

4/20/2010 05:00:00 AM
A new, simple way to advertise: For just $25 per month, businesses in select cities can make their listings stand out on Google.com and Google Maps with Tags. As of today, we’re rolling out Tags to three new cities — Austin, Atlanta and Washington, D.C. — in addition to ongoing availability in Houston and San Jose, CA. In the coming weeks we'll also be introducing Tags in Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, Boulder and San Francisco.

I've got mine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom