fancy sofa

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I just don't want to **** it up. I have had couch issues before with natural fiber. I will use a detergent below at about 8. and just rinse. My class isn't until the end of the month.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Open the zipper on one cushion and cut some of the fibers where you have
extra fabric after the stitch. Do a burn test. If it balls up and turns hard its 100% synthetic, you can throw it in the swimming pool and suck away to clean it.
If it turns to ash and the smoke smells like burning human hair you can wait till after you take your class to clean it. Or prevac, use a horse hair brush to ladder the foam from a wool approved shampoo on the fabric and vac or rinse with a low moisture tool, also use air movers to dry and turn down your vacuum, wool fabrics will stretch.
Then again, you can wait for someone else advice since I am on my
second bottle of wine.
Luis

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Luis Gomez said:
Open the zipper on one cushion and cut some of the fibers where you have
extra fabric after the stitch. Do a burn test. If it balls up and turns hard its 100% synthetic, you can throw it in the swimming pool and suck away to clean it.
If it turns to ash and the smoke smells like burning human hair you can wait till after you take your class to clean it. Or prevac, use a horse hair brush to ladder the foam from a wool approved shampoo on the fabric and vac or rinse with a low moisture tool, also use air movers to dry and turn down your vacuum, wool fabrics will stretch.
Then again, you can wait for someone else advice since I am on my
second bottle of wine.
Luis

I Like your DISCLAIMER.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
1.gif

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Luis don't brake the seal. Jarred, have to admire your spirit! Luis does offer good advice. but he left off one test. After figuring out natural vs. synthetic, if you think its natural fiber, take your planned cleaning agent and on an inconspicuous area, and check for dye run. Even if its solid color, no need to create a blotchy appearnace. Most likely you will not have a problem with it.

My suggestion would be to use a neutral to slightly alkaline presray in a trigger bottle. Mist on, agitate with a horse hair brush, and use an acidic all fiber rinse in your porty to extract with. Keep your pressure low, take your time, do lots of dry strokes. If it has a pile, make sure to groom it all in the same direction immediatly after and after drying. And use fans to get it dry as quick as possible.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
After agitating with the horsehair brush you could entertain using some terry towels to "extract" some soiling, before rinsing. That will help your rinsing so you won't over-wet the fabric, especially if heavier soiled. After you rinse you can do the same to "post-extract" - it will help dry the piece and remove a little more stubborn soil if needed. Don't rub too hard, you can cause pile distortion, and stretching of the fabric.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I never attempt upholstery cleaning without an ample supply of white towels.

Vacuum well before applying any moisture (call it "dry" cleaning if you must).

Good advice in this thread!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
You might also alter your website. In it it says you can disinfect. If my memory serves me correct to disinfect means to remove over 99% of bacteria this is somthing we are unable to achieve as textile cleaners. I was taught that we are never to make claims that we can disinfect or steralize. We can however restore an area to an acceptable sanitary state which I think is like 75 - 80% of bacteria removed

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Jon is correct, sanitize is the correct term. Sort of like saying you can remove 99% of allergens. Unless you can prove it by testing it is best to say help reduce allergens.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Regarding "take the class": I took the Murray Kremer class in 1982, and a different one in Indianapolis in 1988. In the second class I could only think "OMG!!" while my wife elbowed me to not say anything, as she could see it on my face.

Bill Yeadon was there, and now probably thinks the same thing....

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I am going to take the class...sometimes these things soud more complicated over the phone then in real life..lets see how it goes. I just took OCT today..

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Jarred, since you're somewhat close to PA. Look into taking an upholstery class from Jim Pemberton, he is my go to guy with upholstery questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom