Feed back on the Prochem Everest 408?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The only difference with that and the 650 is the blower and price. I have had a couple people buy 408s because they didn't see the need for the 650 but wanted a 4cyl machine and they are very happy with them. Me I think the 408 is like only getting to second base on your wedding night...

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I have two of them. One carbureted, and one EFI. I would have to say, I like the carbureted one better. The EFI version has given me fits in the past. Once I got it dialed in, it's given me great service. The biggest expense on the carbureted version was the governor. Replacing it was over $1000. But, that's about it! It's reliable, and bullet proof!

The EFI is difficult to do field repairs when a sensor, wire, throttle body, or ECU goes south. Basically, I have to take it in for most repairs. That alone can be a hassle, and expensive. I'm glad I have it, but I've had to swallow a lot of Tylenol at times repairing it!

I do have a colleague who has an EFI, and hasn't had near the problems I've had with mine.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
We are talking about the New Hyundai 408 not the old Nissan right? If you can find an older Nissan carbureted they are great machines the efi is a good one too but I don't like the throttle body and computer on the Nissan EFI's I have a couple EFI Nissan's we are going to turn back into carbureted engines this winter. Then they should last forever

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
John, I'd love to see pictures of how you do that. I've been considering it for mine as well. I assume you'd have to install a governor, right?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Yes you will need to. There is a ton of work figuring it out and I am sure TW will be happy for you to bring yours here for him to do once he has figured it out.

Reactions: Shawn Abbey
J

JS41035

Seems like the brackets for governor would work from a 405. But you'd need a donor motor. Carb and manifold would bolt on. Throttle linkage would be a bit of work. . The governors are 900 bucks. If it were me I would just sell the Everest 408 and buy some 405s. You'd just end up with basically a 405 after the swap anyway.

Reactions: Shawn Abbey
Back
Top Bottom