FEMA Insurance, policies and Texas floods...yeehaw!

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
NOTE: This document is not an industry standard for drying technicians, nor is it a guide to
structurally dry a building

I like this.

Oh hell, its not a standard or guide but if you want to get paid, you have to follow it. :lol:

Pretty much.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've never done any of that type of work before. It looks like you'd want to read it over well to know what you're getting into when you take those on. I appreciate the PDF, good stuff in there. There are trying real hard to do the right thing BUT how can the make calls about how many days moisture will evaporate when the have no clue what that actual loss involves.

The depth of what was affected and how long it sat are variables not accounted for in their drying equipment adjustments. Its a hard job to corral the restorer but it only complicates the drying process when you make judgments on a project not knowing the particulars.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a crawl space flooded in a small town near here that we dried in 2005. This time FEMA said no heat drying, only fans.

They have her using their AC pulling in down into the space and air movers across the mud. GOOD LUCK with that!

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We had a crawl space flooded in a small town near here that we dried in 2005. This time FEMA said no heat drying, only fans.

They have her using their AC pulling in down into the space and air movers across the mud. GOOD LUCK with that!

Terrible. I've heard some crap out here for sure.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
BTW, I hired a dude to do the estimating for me on these claims. Screw all of that noise. He's helping me knock it out.

No can do, homie. I'm done. Toast. Out of gas.

Though I did get me some shiny new equipment out of the deal.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We're just about done. 12 jobs more to finish up with just a few pieces and we are complete. 86-water losses in the last 30-days. Its been rough! : (

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Thankfully we had some cash payers that helped. I don't know what we would have done without it.

Funny story - an old man calls me to look at his giant river house. We walk in and the place is destroyed. All of the stone had fallen off if the face. He was a cash payer. I quoted him 35k off the cuff and asked for 21k on the spot. He forks over the check and I take off to the bank.

He's supposed to call me the next day when he gets his son to clear out a few personal items. Next day - no call. So I call him. No answer. Next day - no call. I leave another message. 3 days go by and his son in law calls me to tell me that the old man is not allowed to make financial decisions anymore. He says hat the deal is not necessarily over but I need to write a new contract with him.

In the mean time I thankfully get a few more dollars in the bank. A week later I see that there was stop payment on the check. Somehow miraculously it too a week for the bank to reverse the 21k.

Obviously I didn't get the job but the moral of the story is that was the cheapest 21k short term loan I've ever had. It cost me $12.

Eh, oh well.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Floodguy

Name
Flood guy
Desk Jockey wrote: " BUT how can the(y) make calls about how many days moisture will evaporate when the(y) have no clue what that actual loss involves. "

That "call" is made only when the drying technician fails to submit a properly completed drying log.

"If it isn't written down, it didn't happen"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
FEMA has a guide that is full of foolishness.

When drying surface, free and bound water: Two-day duration – quantity equals 50% of the day 1 total number of airmovers. Three-day duration – sum of air movers for day 2 and 3 equals number
for day 1

REALLY? :eekk:

Magical how that just works out that Day two & Day three combined equal Day 1. :icon_rolleyes:

We pass on FEMA work.

Floodguy

Name
Flood guy
You are not reading it right. Those parameters apply when the drying technician fails to document their job performance. Complete a drying log properly and perform the job within the standard, if it takes more time you get paid. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
its yours too many hoops for this dog.

We had several we passed on in June. Flooded crawl spaces where they stated Absolutely NO heat drying. Their answer is refrigerant and airmovers.

Had three calls for airduct cleaning of silt laden contaminated duct work. Told them it needed to be replaced. FEMA said no. They would only pay to clean and sanitize. Pass! Let the franchises have at it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom