Finding a 2" vac hose barb for porty

Lonewolf68

I am looking at doing a minor modification on my porty. It is an Eclipse brand and I want to switch it over to a 2" vac house. I am having trouble finding a 2" hose barb to replace it with. I called the company where I got the machine and they said why change the hose size and it won't make much difference anyway. And they do not have any larger diameter hose barbs. I tried a google search and found 1 place, I think Northern Tools or something like that. Anyway, do any of you have any suppliers out there that may have a 2" vac house barb or know where I may find one? Thanks for any help. I have already talked to Greenie about this and he says it is a easy doable mod. to make.

Thanks,
Steve

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Part # AH69 is a threaded barb. The threaded side will fit into the opening for your current vacuum hose barb. The barb side will fit 2" hose.

Available at Interlink Supply, Bridgepoint or Hydroforce distributors.

Scott Warrington

Greenie

Scott...that is a 1.5" inside dia. part, he is looking for a true 2" fitting.

I know there are a couple Porty Mfgs. that send their unit out the door with 2" hose, I would try one of them like MasterBlend, Mytee, Cross-American etc...EDIT I just thought about it...it's still only gonna have a 1 5/8" inside dia. better than the 1 1/8" connector you have now...man I hate plastic.

One thing I don't like about Jim's link is there is nothing on the nipple to prevent it from being pulled through when you spin on a conduit nut on the back side, you would want a small step up shoulder just for this reason.

If it were me, I'd just machine the fitting, but I don't think guys would pay $35 for it, so I'm looking at plastic.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lonewolf68;

We have the 2" MPT x 2" hose barb in Nylon, but the real question is room for the 2" retaining nut on the inside of the machine.

It is about 2 5/8" diameter.

Check and make sure you have clearance for the retaining nut.

Larry Cobb

Rex Tyus

If its threaded look at home depot. Seriously, they have them by the 2" shut off ball valves. Thats atleast something that I hope is local, it'll be threaded on one end and barbed on the other. 3-4 bucks.

I am sure LOWE'S has them too. :shock:

Lonewolf68

I checked at Lowe's and they did not have the particular style that would work for my porty. I need to measure my interior side to see if I have the clearance as Larry suggested. Thanks for the help.

Odin, We don't have a "Fooken" hardware store here in Ohio. Is that a new retail chain out in Washington? :roll:
And why yes I do dress myself, thanks for noticing but who dresses you?

Steve

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
farm supply store

http://www.mytscstore.com/

Punch in your zip code and see if there's a TSC near you.
They'll have nylon and PVC hose barbs.
With or without threads.

if you can't find one locally, lemmie know.
Bet i have several in the garage laying around.
I'll send you one for free

..l.T.A.

Lonewolf68

Just a curious question. If I am not able to change the vac hose barb from my 1 1/2" to a 2" what about using an adapter to go from 1 1/2 to 2 and just run a 2" hose? Would that help at all or does the vac hose barb have to be 2" also? Sorry about my ignorance but I am new and I am trying to learn. Thanks for the help.

Steve

Jay D

Name
Jay D
The vacuum plumbing is all 1.5" how is it going to help to go 2"? Restricted flow 1.5 to open flow of 2". I don't think you will benefit going to 2". There I said it twice.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lonewolf68;

The 1.5" hose is probably 25 to 50' ft. long.

Going to 2" will give you more lift at the wand...

Adding the 2" barb will help also.

Larry Cobb

Lonewolf68

Odin,
It may be true that I purchased a machine that may not be as good or as powerful as many others have but it is what it is and I am looking at ways to improve it so I can provide even better service to my customers so I can purchase a better machine, whether it be a regular TM or even a Nordic 1 system from you. I pose the questions on this board because many of you have years of experience in this business and whereas I have very little experience. I appreciate your reply and look forward to more encouraging words of wisdom from you and many others.

Steve

Greenie

Why someone would build a a 3 vac machine and use a 1.25" ID plastic barb on the tank I will never know....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Why someone would build a a 3 vac machine i'll never know!

I'll be honest here...some of the things i hear on here makes me wonder about the future of mankind.....so i guess i'll jus chuckle......

Lonewolf68

What's worse is those of us who are new to the business buying these machines without having much forethought about the machines capabilities. I wish I would have happened across Mikey's board before I made the purchase I did. it just is what it is.

Steve

Greenie

Jim has a point with the pool filter analogy....but

Back when I was still cleaning and first started playing with 2.5 vac hose, I didn't have a fancy 2.5 Y fitting, so I just stuffed a single 2" cuff inside the 2.5 at the truck, ran it out 50' and stuck another 2" in the other side, it was obvious.....the world would never be the same....lol

So yes it helped, even with the bottle neck. That is what Scott was trying to show with his BridgePoint blurb.

But a more honest 2" barb would be better.

Lonewolf68

Jim,
Thank you for the links. The plastic hose barbs in 2 of the links you provided are exactly what I am looking for. I really appreciate the help on this.

Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom