Fire Started by Carpet Cleaning Truck

Another Fire Started by Carpet Cleaning Truck
Pueblo Colorado - Pueblo fire officials tell us that a carpet cleaning truck parked about 5 feet from student apartment housing on Colorado State University -Pueblo campus suddenly caught fire and spread to the housing. It caused only minor damage to the housing but the truck is a total loss.

One of the employees of the carpet cleaning company was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No students were injured.

truckmount-fire.jpg

The Pueblo carpet cleaner, Saul Vasquez, suffered burns to his lower body after the carpet-cleaning truck he was working out of caught fire Tuesday near a student housing complex at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

Saul Vasquez was taken to Parkview Medical Center for treatment. The hospital did not have a record of Vasquez, a standard response because of federal privacy laws.

Vasquez was part of a crew from Vazz Carpet Cleaning hired to do work at the University Village at Walking Stick apartments on the western edge of the CSU-Pueblo campus.

Vasquez reportedly was putting fuel in a carpet-cleaning machine near the truck at about 10:40 a.m. when the fuel ignited and caught the truck on fire, according to Pueblo County Sheriff's Sgt. Mike Beery.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Fire department spokesman Woody Percival said when he arrived on scene, the truck was fully engulfed and flames were shooting out of a propane cylinder vent.

"It was a pretty intense fire," Percival said.

Fire crews put out the fire before it spread to the apartment complex, which was a few feet from where the truck was parked.

"With all the chemicals that were in the truck, it could've been a lot worse," Percival said. "We had a slight breeze blowing to the west, which kept it away from the building. We were really lucky on this one."

There were reports that the truck exploded, but Percival said it likely was either the vehicle tires or possibly aerosol cans that exploded.

The apartment complex, which is privately managed student housing, sustained minimal damage.

The unit closest to the fire had some exterior fire damage and some smoke and water damage inside.

At least two units had broken windows and doors as fire and sheriff's personnel worked to evacuate and ventilate the affected units.

None of the tenants was injured.

University officials said there are about 30 students residing in the complex as classes have ended for the spring semester.

The apartment complex usually houses more than 150 students during the semester.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If you have all the components of a BOMB
in the SAME vicinity...
it's not a matter of if....
jus a matter of WHEN......

SOME chillren shoudn't play wit fir!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I bet Mike is right, Kero refill.

Damn that would suck, what bad PR. "They do great work, but you might have them park in the neighbors drive, just in case"

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
kero refill??

You do realize the flash point of kero/diesel is way high right??

almost to the point it would have to be on the flame

John Olson

Name
John Olson
No it is a Steam Genie or Steam Genie Knock Off see the Pully on the pump also
flames were shooting out of a propane cylinder vent.
. And Mikey just because you incapable of handling a Man's Machine doesn't make it a POS

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I had to tell him the cap with the Alladin genie lamp and the number "710" was where the OIL goes.... :shock:

..L.T.A.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I kind of doubt that it is a Steam Genie unit. Indeed, most Steam Genie units have their pumps up top, but if that photo's pulley orientation is correct, and it were an SG, then we'd be looking at the front of the unit here. If that was the case, then the pump pulley(actually the clutch) would be at least 90% obscured by the front panel and panel frame, not to mention the top of the engine for units built since '91. SGS and SGD units had maybe 1/4" of clutch pulley exposed peeking above the panel, and it would be a solid clutch face, not a spoke pulley like in the pic anyway. HG1 and HG2 are the only units to use spoke pulleys, but the pumps are down low (below the plane of the engine crank), and are completely hidden.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
And that sir is why you are the Big Brain :) I tried to put a disclaimer in my post (steam Genie Knock Off) because I wasn't a hundred percent sure but I have seen several Steam Genie's with Spoke Pulleys so that with the propane I ASSumed it to be a Genie. My bad..

John Olson

Name
John Olson
meAt said:

I had to tell him the cap with the Alladin genie lamp and the number "710" was where the OIL goes.... :shock:

..L.T.A.

ROFLMAO

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
it's NOT a fricking Genie....
what a bunch a nimrods.....there is NOTHING that will burn on a Steam Genie!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm guessing the guy was fooling refueling with a hot exhaust from the machine pointed the wrong direction... or (an my favorite, it said he burned his lower half... so we was pooring it while smoking dropped the cigerette for a few ashes and bamn!

John Olson

Name
John Olson
bob vawter said:
it's NOT a fricking Genie....
what a bunch a nimrods.....there is NOTHING that will burn on a Steam Genie!
Hmmm really? Propane doesn't burn? Wow bob thanks for correcting science. ;)

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Sounds like the gas tank was never taped to me. This could have happend with any slide-in that was not correctly installed.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hmmm really? Propane doesn't burn? Wow bob thanks for correcting science. ;)[/quote:2168bpss]
i been messin' wit SG's for twenty years now....and NEVER even seen a propane bottle...
the coolant HX although not as high in temp as a propane unit is WAY cheaper and WAY safer to operate!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Chris Adkins said:
Bob you know SG made propane burner slide ins too, right?
OK...all the components of a BOMB....PLUS a hot lawn mower engine..
thrown in.....
THAT.....is NOT a Steam Genie

Mikey P

Administrator
man's machine my ass.

the 2100 is the most over complicated, over plumber, over wired absolute nightmare of a truck to work on I've ever seen next to a Blueline slide in.

An EZ 45/25 is a real mans machine. Dale Earndhart relief valve and all.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
The truck is probably diesel and the machine run off of gas. Hence a fuel tap wouldn't work. Probably refilling a gas tank and then boom. People should respect fuels a lot more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom