fixing this carpet do I charge?

steamwizards

Name
Rob
Should I charge to fix this carpet, client wanted me to come around and look a what another cleaner has done. Looks like shark teeth strokes haven't overlapped and would just need a rake perhaps?

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
if she hasn't contacted the other cleaner to fix it yet, I wouldn't touch it. I would suggest that she try vacuuming like the others said. If the other cleaner won't come try to fix it, or if she doesn't want to call them back, then do it and become the hero.

Reactions: Russ T. and Derek

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I agree with Charlie. If she is unhappy with the work, she should call the cleaner back.

When I was younger and naive, I jumped at opportunities to be superman and save people from "evil competitors".

The older and more cynical (I can't say I'm wiser) me would ask these questions of myself:

1. Is the other cleaner that bad that she can't call him, or is she that bad that he doesn't want to come back?
2. Once I touch this carpet, am I releasing him of any obligations to make the job right?
3. If she is an unreasonable person, do I want to inherit her as a customer?

In my life I've learned that our competitors are rarely as bad as we'd like to believe that they are, we are not as good as we think we are, and our prospective customers are not as blameless as they paint themselves when they ask us to rescue them.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Give het a 5x5 demo of what your services will do for that mess.

Have her sign a clause that your not responsible if it doesn't come clean, that way she has grounds to Stand on against the hacker cleaner.

Nuke it and Win!

Looks like a dang Rug Doctor was used, and she doesn't want to vacuum! Thats why you were called.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I agree with Charlie. If she is unhappy with the work, she should call the cleaner back.

When I was younger and naive, I jumped at opportunities to be superman and save people from "evil competitors".

The older and more cynical (I can't say I'm wiser) me would ask these questions of myself:

1. Is the other cleaner that bad that she can't call him, or is she that bad that he doesn't want to come back?
2. Once I touch this carpet, am I releasing him of any obligations to make the job right?
3. If she is an unreasonable person, do I want to inherit her as a customer?

In my life I've learned that our competitors are rarely as bad as we'd like to believe that they are, we are not as good as we think we are, and our prospective customers are not as blameless as they paint themselves when they ask us to rescue them.

I'm with Jim on this one!! I don't like going in to fix other cleaners problems. That one looks like an easy one to correct though. Makes you wonder why she didn't call them back.

I have had customers say they are afraid to call the original company back for fear that they may do something to get back at the customer.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I hate getting involved in another cleaners problems, we always refer them back to the original cleaner.

Maybe I'm petty but if you didn't call me to begin with why are calling me to fix your mistake in choosing a cleaner now? We're still going to be higher than the other guy, in fact I usually charge more for correcting someone's work. I prefer to let price keep me out of their mess.

This one might be even more difficult, I don't see her complaint unless the wand stokes browned out at the edges or is it just the lack of grooming? I agree wit the others tell her to call the original cleaner.

Reactions: Brian H

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
That is a multitude of Referrals staring you in the face!

And an opportunity to mash a Local hacker in his tracks.

Look forward, not backward!

Another cleaners mess. You panzies!!!

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I recently had a panicked call from a new prospective customer.

She hired the $4.95 a room guy to clean her large (4000ish F2) home. The total bill was around $120. She had no pets and claimed the carpet smelled like urine when she was done. In defense of our illustrious industry, I stated that there are not any solutions available that add urine odor.

Do you have any pets? No.

Did the previous owner of your home have any pets? No, the carpet was new when I had the house built 7 years ago.

I was leery because I had the impression that she thought that the service should cost $120, but the service provider just did a sub par job. I spent 30 minutes explaining our process and equipment. I stated in no uncertain terms that I charge a minimum of $95 to just pull into your driveway and there was no way I could do her job for anything near the previous cost. I was nearby, wrapping up a job with a little padding on the schedule, so I said I would be right over.

Measured up the job and it came out to $650. She explained that she did call back the original carpet cleaner to address the odor issue. He applied a topical deodorizer and left. Most of the furniture was still moved and her life was not yet back in order. The carpet did not look bad and I could not detect an odor. I did book the job and cleaned for her at my price 2 days later. Lesson learned? Yes, one more customer realizing you get what you pay for!

My assumption is that the portable the previous guy used was not cleaned out well after doing a pissy job. He brings in the porty and fills the home with a pissy smell as he toiled for 6 hours on her carpet. The poor guy actually did a nice job on her carpet, working for $20 bucks an hour, if you forget about overhead and the callback.

Fix it and be the hero!

Chris A

Name
Chris
not that I enjoy making other cleaners look bad, but I would be more than happy to run over that, undoubtedly making some imrpovement andpprobably wouldnt charge for it either since she already paid to have it cleaned once. Its a dog eat dog world boys...

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
My assumption is that the portable the previous guy used was not cleaned out well after doing a pissy job. He brings in the porty and fills the home with a pissy smell as he toiled for 6 hours on her carpet. The poor guy actually did a nice job on her carpet, working for $20 bucks an hour, if you forget about overhead and the callback.

Fix it and be the hero!

I worked for Sears Carpet Cleaning in the late A-DEES and they bought this new portable for me to use called a CFR .. I cleaned a room which had a little bit of pee that no one mentioned .. so mild I couldnt detect it until I started cleaning the steps ..I then realized I was spreading the pee from the previous room .. the CFR was a machine that recycled the water .. what a piece of crap that was ..

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
. The carpet did not look bad and I could not detect an odor. I did book the job and cleaned for her at my price 2 days later. Lesson learned? Yes, one more customer realizing you get what you pay for!

Fix it and be the hero!

Did she tell you he used a portable?

Back
Top Bottom