flat weave

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Picked up a couple of flatweaves recently from an estate sale. good condition. These are not something that would be valuable. (I do not think) No labels. Really tight weaves, no fringe, and edges are all tight. I want to clean before giving to my daughter.
Really does not matter what they are made of, BUT, I would just out of curiosity like to know. I think they may be wool, but not sure. A lot of what looks like staple fibers coming off the yarn.
Haven't messed with them yet to see if they have that wet wool smell.
Any trick to getting something to do a burn test from this kind of rug. ??

Not a rug guy,--------- Soooooo, I guess I will hose em down and hang on the fence. !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Need pics.
nothing special, just wondering how to get something to test. without causing a little damage.. Maybe not possible.?

20200624_173656[1].jpg 20200624_173715[1].jpg

20200624_173656[1].jpg 20200624_173715[1].jpg

Reactions: Nomad74

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Most likely wool on cotton foundation. The blue (used to be darker?) sections may have bled a little already, but you shouldn't have much trouble with dyes if you stick to fairly neutral pH detergent.

I do like that you bothered to show the 'back' of a reversible rug. :biggrin:

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Thank You

Yes, I did think it may matter. FWIW, I did not realize that these had foundation in there. I should have taken a picture closer up maybe. IDK

Not really worried about the cleaning.. more about whether a way to identify. and mainly due to my own curiosity.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Thank You

Yes, I did think it may matter. FWIW, I did not realize that these had foundation in there. I should have taken a picture closer up maybe. IDK

Not really worried about the cleaning.. more about whether a way to identify. and mainly due to my own curiosity.
So what is your process for cleaning this? (Only if you have the energy to share)

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I will most likely lay out a tarp. Maybe make a small temp. pit, as it is a smallish rug. I really don't have anywhere to dry it properly , like you rug guys.
Years ago I had one of my own. It was on a linoleum floor so I just cleaned it from time to time ising HWE.

Reactions: Nomad74

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
gotta hand it to you guys who do this on a regular basis, and make it pay!! The ones who haul back to home or shop and do occasionally in driveway etc.
A one time thing and a royal PITA for me!!! lol. Or , should I say a project.

since I am not a rug guy, I made sort of a pit with 2inch hose, hosed er down, spinkled some BP Fine fabric upholstery stuff, brushed , hosed off plain H2O , vacced, and then rinsed with a porty and BP Clean rinse.

20200805_130133[1].jpg

20200805_130133[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom