Flickering Headlights - Shaky Engine - Freezing Cold Out

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I was leaving a job around midnight last night and Im driving in the (mild) blustering snow storm and its about 10 degrees out .. seems like when I let off the accelerator the headlights and dash lights would flicker and sounded like the engine was going to stall .. I gas it and it stops .. let up, flickers and grumbles .. any ideas out there

Im stressing the ride back to the warehouse thinking if I conk out, wheres the tow guy gonna take me .. garages are closed, too cold to leave it out all night .. I thought ok, tow me and park it in the warehouse then call for another tow the next day .. cold winter cleaning sucks

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I did think that .. I just had it replaced over the summer and the battery guage reads high .. although the battery was also replaced in the summer which could hold just enough to read good .. maybe a loose wire .. ground or some thing .. thanks

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Ok, I'll let some chevy people take this one. If it was a Ford, I'd have some suggestions, but those problems are Ford specific.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Could be loose wire on the alternator. If it does stall on you just get a fresh battery and you should be able drive it back to the shop. Cost of a new battery would be better than taking a chance at not freezing up.

Reactions: Spurlington

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Same thing happened to me when I lived in MN...I worked 7 miles from home and it took me over 6 hours to get home one evening because of a snow storm.....the snow and ice was blowing in and getting up in the alternator....light were flickering....engine was wanting to stall....I had to keep turning the truck around and go back and camp out at work....

the only way I got home that night was I tail gated a plow truck...all I could see was the blinking blue light........if he went in the ditch I was going with him....but his truck was pushing all the blowing snow out around the front of my truck.....one of the worst nights I had........

and that ladies is one of the reasons why I now live in the desert.....you can have it.....

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I replaced my alternator on my 03 3500 6 liter a couple years ago.
I have a pto and it took all day. Very tight and was like working on a swiss watch.

I've had new alternators go bad on me too so test it.
Always buy NEW and not rebuilt!

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I checked the wires going in to the alt making sure it's plugged in good .. I also checked battery cables .. got an appt Wed am to check it out ..

van has been amazing for me .. been driving it for 5+ years payment free .. tires, over the years, at $700 a pop would have been the most this van has ever cost me

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I took it in yesterday am - they were poking around and changed out some air intake related items .. they said they needed to dig deeper into the manifold to check out stuff which if I decided to go forward with the repair it would be a 4 hr job which they couldn't do yesterday .. of course I want it done so they kept it overnight and I'm waiting to hear what they come up with ..

The reason for the flickering was the engine wasn't running at full speed not allowing the alternator to spin fast enough to provide enough power

So the engine is running lean - not enough air I guess .. It was mostly blah blah blah .. yeah, that's what I heard

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Alrighty - just got a call from the shop .. definitely an issue with the intake manifold .. so roughly $1300 for monster grip snow tires which accounts for $700, oil change, oil sensor gadget and repair of intake manifold ..

I'm actually excited to get it done .. it's always nice to know what the problem is and having the ability to get it fixed .. perfect timing .. we're slow this week .. I'd hate calling a customer to say, " Sorry I can't make it." Again, I'm soo lucky (knock on wood) to have the best of luck with this van .. I

I do plan on replacing it within a year though - teeth are starting to rot (slight rust under slider door towards back wheel) I had it sanded and painted professionally but it's re-rotting

Thanks for all helpful hints and possible issue ideas !!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
glad you got it fixed Paul. as far as sand-blasting & repaint, my auto-body guy did that to my van 3-4 times before he told me it would need the expensive sheet metal fix. how many times have you done it to yours?

my guy is great, probably a drive for you tho...Saxby's Collision on 5&20. ask for the owner Biff, he is great to deal with and a straight shooter. for a sand-blasting & repaint (that would last about a year) it cost $300-$500 per. well worth it to keep a van you love going, especially if it is paid off :D

Reactions: Spurlington

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Thanks Derek .. definitely worth checking into .. it is a bit of a drive but might be worth it .. I've had it done once and it didn't really last

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Alrighty - just got a call from the shop .. definitely an issue with the intake manifold .. so roughly $1300 for monster grip snow tires which accounts for $700, oil change, oil sensor gadget and repair of intake manifold ..

1300$ including tires? Nothing wrong w/that!

Chris A

Name
Chris
I replaced my alternator on my 03 3500 6 liter a couple years ago.
I have a pto and it took all day. Very tight and was like working on a swiss watch.

Really? Your set-up must be different than my Hydramaster cuz I had mine removed and re-installed in about 45 minutes (loose wire in back).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom