Flow test

Greenie

Test at 600psi, using a "water otter" 1200 psi pump-tec pump, 50' of 1/4" solution line, cold water. I must say I was kinda impressed with this pump because it produced more than the average reported by many TM users.

I will replicate this test with hot water next week for comparison.

I did the flow test on a 6 jet Prochem Titanium wand, and rounded to the nearest 1/8th of a gallon.

First I ran the wand with the 6 check valves and no jets to establish a benchmark flow rate, I got 2.625 gpm

Next I ran 6 - 110 015 jets with no check valves, I got 2.250 gpm.

Then it was the same 110 015 jets with the check valves, I got 2.125 gpm

Now for the 02s

With 6 - 110 02 and no check valves I got 2.625 gpm.
Interesting that this was the same flow as the one with no jets earlier.

I added the check valves in and retested with 110 02 jets and got 2.625 gpm!
Surely there must be some flow restriction with the checks, so I retested, and got the same 2.625 gpm, apparently once the balls are open on the checks, the larger 02 orfice flows enough to keep up with the naked check valves that had no jets earlier.

Next I went to 6-110 03 jets and got 2.625 gpm

That's right, the same exact flow as the 02s

You tell me why?

My conclusion, we have reached the limit of what the 3/16" wand solution line and prochem valve can flow, and possibly not far from what the 1/4" line can flow at 600 psi.

It'll be interesting to see how heat plays into this.

Tile Nerd

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to this board, I've ordered some 2.5 inch hose, some flexible 2 inch hose and were gonna play with some different jets to improve flow.

What jets do you recommend for the Rotovac 360? I think we want to lower the pressure and increase the flow.

zonked.gif

Greenie

the 360 runs 3 - K 1.5 jets now (= 09 flow) you are already off to a good start, you could bump to a K2 for a total flow of 012, It's a common jet in the SteamWay system.

I agree, turn down your pressure a bit and increase your flow, that flood jet isn't far from the fiber you already have plenty of impact.

Johnnyone

Not sure of what a water otter is. I am assuming that it
water pump for a portable unit.

Is it like a cat pump?

What is the GPM rate for it?

Tile Nerd

We currently run 500 psi. From what I've learned here recently, I'd like to get down to 400 psi.

BoomSmilie_anim.gif

harryhides

Name
Tony
That's about what one would expect Jeff.
Last night I tested one of my modified CMP Greenie 5 jet - 02's - wands on a Slide-in with a CAT pump at 600 psi and I only got a tad over one gallon per minute. I was pretty sure I had a restriction somewhere and now I know I do and will have to find it.

Greenie

I think the max gpm for the pump is 3.5 gpm, this is the same pump you see in all of the 1200 psi tile cleaning porties out there, it puts out some water.

It's what i use in the shop to pressure test all the wands we build.

Harry, 5 jetter GH wands should deliver 1.75 gpm, which by the way ends up being more than some TMs can handle..lol

lance

Hey Greenie, what do you think the standard is when a company says its pump can put out 3.5 gpm? Is it with hose only, or with a pressure washing gun, or with a wand and no jets?

Before I finished reading I thought the pump had reached its max gpm instead of the hose and/or wand reaching it first. I have a 2000 psi pressure washer with 3/8th hose and it sure blasts the water. I think that 1/4 hose would be close behind being that it is only 1/8 smaller.

If I had a TI wand I would want the feather valve you sell and a manifold with two holes in it so I could run 1/4 inch Parker down both sides of the wand into the manifold. My thinking is the high flow high heat solution would be more evenly distributed to all the jets better than just one hose would. Has anybody else asked about this when they order your GH 5-jet wand?

Isn't techie stuff great????

Greenie

I think the standard is open flow hose.

And who knows maybe I hit the pumps limit at 600? Will run the test with a cat 5cp to check the difference.

I'll bet that double sloution line wand thing won't matter much if it's still being fed with a common 1/4" line...and there is no way in hell I'm slinging a 3/8" line, it's carpet not power washing...lol

lance

Yea, 3/8" hose can be a real pain to use. I know if you start telling guys to run it up to the door and then 1/4" in the house you're probably running a high fever and hopefully you'll get better in a couple of days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
This old dog still runs 3/8 inch hose. It's not that heavy. just a few feet held up off the floor to your wand.

Many years ago I used some 1/4 inch hose. I don't remember much difference in use.

Greenie. Why not try that test with some real hose? :) Seriously, I would think it would be a worth while test.

Loren

Name
Jesse
I did a bucket test today on my pro1200 with a Ti at 18flow with check valves. I used 150 ft 1/4" solution line with no heat.

These are close estimates not measured to perfection.
400psi = 1.4 gal
500psi = 1.6 gal
600psi = 1.7 gal
700psi = 1.9 gal
1000psi= 2.0 gal

I also did a test clean at different pressures with different styles of wanding. The carpet wasn't dirty so they all appeared to clean equal.
I went back 2 hours later and the whole thing was evenly dry. It was a cgd.

I cleaned at 500 psi with fast strokes and really slow strokes and 1000 psi the same way. I don't think the pressure really matters because the jet spray impacts the glide first.

Greenie

Loren, you got the heat and the 3/8 hose, why not run a test at your three pressure settings on your PM using your SW wand?

I don't have any 3/8 in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom