foam in blower sight glass

J

jpgalley

I have tuthill dominator blower that has foam or bubbles in the sight glass. I have changed the oil it looks great and the machine seems to be operating okay. Is this something I should worry about? I have always been told you can tell a lot by looking at oil and this stuff is clear with 600 hours on it.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have a question that I am amazed no one has asked yet. Is it foamy looking right after you shut the machine off or all the time. My oil is tan in color right after I shut down the machine but turns clear after it has been sitting and its not overfilled.

T

The Magician

Are you sure your manufacturer recommends detergent oil in a blower?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Detergents are not added to lubricants designed for blower gear cases. This is for two reasons.

First, it would serve little purpose. Detergents are added to motor oils to disperse and suspend contaminants introduced primarily by combustion by-products and fuel contamination, neither which are present in a PD blower gearcase.

Second, the particular means that the blower uses (slinger bar & gear toss-up) to diffuse the oil to all lubricated parts would cause a detergent oil to foam profusely, leading to poor and inconsistent lubricative film strength. The entrapped air within a foam produces voids such that the bearing metal surfaces are not reliably separated by a pure oil film. Moreover, the excessively foamed oil loses a tremendous amount of its ability to transfer the heat from the bearings, as it performs a coolant dispersion function.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Shawn why in the world are you working for someone else. You should be in a Lab Coat somewhere cooking up all kinds of crazy inventions and writing your own industry magazine. Your just to damn smart to be making someone else rich.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd recommed changing to a synthetic straight 40 weight. No deteregents needed in true synthetics.

Some regular oils made for use in gear cases even have foam suppressant additives.

J

jpgalley

thanks for all the imput I'm actually running a 40 w non detergent oil. It looked a little over filled so I drained it and refilled to half way up sight glas so far so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom