Following up on bid proposals

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What are some key points when placing a follow-up call/visit after a commercial bid has been submitted??

Do you follow up at all??
How much time do you let pass after submitting a bid before following up with a potential customer??
What is your standard follow-up dialogue like??

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
What are some key points when placing a follow-up call/visit after a commercial bid has been submitted??

How much time do you let pass after submitting a bid before following up with a potential customer??
Good question, Frank. the key is to "set the stage" BEFORE you leave at the first visit. Here is a little cut-and-paste from my SFS section on Commercial Sales after you present your "recommendations"...

So you immediately reply:

9. “I understand. So what is our next step?” They’ll almost always say, “I’ll have to get back to you.” You reply, “I understand. I’m going to be off-the-radar for a few days. Could I check in with you Thursday?” (Never leave till you have the next step defined and you have an “excuse to call”.) Now say as you get out your card case …

10. “Do you have a business card?” As they get their card out be writing your cell phone number on the back of your card and say, “Here is my cell number. What is the best number to call you on?” (By using the Law of Reciprocal Giving they many times will give you their cell number.)
NOTE: If you call a contact on their cell always ask a Courtesy Question before talking.

Try this on your next sales call, Frank, and let us know how it works.

Steve

PS Frank, you can also write me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and I'll send you my "How to Sell Commercial Carpet Cleaning" Report- no charge. Or you can download it for free HERE.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

Steve is the right person for what to say and how to say it.

When? depends on how the conversation goes, this should be a question you always ask. What is their time frame...
Agree about planting the seed for the next call right then. Week at most unless they give specific instructions.

How long? forever....
2-3 phone calls after estimate and maybe an email if i can find some information that will help.

Still no close, then we call around every 6 months and treat it as a new estimate. Also put on the email/mail list.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We are on them, call back email, personal visit but I've not seen any difference in converting a bid into a sale. People buy when they are ready, the best you can do is stay in contact so they don't forget you.

When we contact them we ask, Do they have a moment to talk about the bid or is this time not good? Have they looked it over and do they have any questions we can answers? Would they like us to perform a test cleaning? When should we contact them again?

Last edited by a moderator:

steve_64

i usually forget about it and then when i remember and am motivated ill call. i always wing it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
On the 2nd and 3rd calls try to change up what you say. When someone is dragging their feet can also try and create some urgency, "we have an unexpected opening next week" and can add X chairs or a restroom floor, whatever.

Amazing how many unexpected openings we have or good fortune some prospects have that we just happen to be working on another project down the street.
Luck of the Irish i guess....

Name
I'm Rick James
What kind of estimates do you send out? Do you just send an invoice with the price?

We do an okay amount of commercial but nail about 99% of them.. I think a lot comes down to the delivery and how its presented.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its on an estimate sheet, lists the area, the sq/ft, the rate and frequency discount. Nothing too fancy but enough for them to make decisions on.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What kind of estimates do you send out? Do you just send an invoice with the price?

We do an okay amount of commercial but nail about 99% of them.. I think a lot comes down to the delivery and how its presented.

Good replies.

Regarding presentation, I am trying to make my bids more of a "package".
I recently added a simple cover sheet, and another page that spells out my personal satisfaction guarantee as well as a my commitment to service ....yada yada yada......as well as couple of business cards, all neatly bundled together.

I think this would convey a higher standard, and hopefully sets me apart from any other bids that are nothing more than a page with a number on it.....of course assuming they are not just looking for the lowest price.

Name
I'm Rick James
Good replies.

Regarding presentation, I am trying to make my bids more of a "package".
I recently added a simple cover sheet, and another page that spells out my personal satisfaction guarantee as well as a my commitment to service ....yada yada yada......as well as couple of business cards, all neatly bundled together.

I think this would convey a higher standard, and hopefully sets me apart from any other bids that are nothing more than a page with a number on it.....of course assuming they are not just looking for the lowest price.

So true.. I always bid the job and communicate like we already got it and with a similar presentation. It has worked well, either that or my good looks helped.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom