For The Chemists Out There......

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Nothing you should be handling without PPE!

Don't open the bottle if the wind is blowing east toward Pittsburgh Bob..... :shock:

I'm sure its some sort of solvent spotter, but there are safer alternatives out there. The fumes of the trichloroethylene used to be used to put people to sleep before surgery. If it can do that and you won't wake up when someone is cutting you, that gives you an idea of how "effective" it is.

I gave up using that stuff half my lifetime ago.......or what my lifetime will be for using it for the first half......

Name
Lee Stockwell
The "chloro" in the chemical name describes a chlorinated hydrocarbon like perc or 111 trike. Kickbutt degreaser but very unhealthy to be ingested.

It's interesting how a chlorine atom can make a hydrocarbon non-flammable. Most plastic bottles will still allow the product to offgas even when sealed tight.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Dichloromethane is more commonly called Methylene Chloride. A solvent that is used sparingly in a few carpet cleaning products, mainly solvent spotters. It's toxicity is considered low, but is a suspected carcinogen by some studies. Great for killing ants. A small amount on an anthill will kill the colony in seconds.

Tetrachloroethylene is another chlorinated solvent. Used relatively rarely in some spotters. Thought by a few as a potential replacement for 1,1,1 Trichlorethane when used in formulations in small amounts in addition to other solvents. It is also considered a possible carcinogen in humans. But it should be noted that most of the petroleum distillate solvents used in cleaning have some measure of carcinogenicity determined. The important factors to consider is the relative nature and the delivery of substances into the body (if so, how much, and can it be safeguarded by PPE or how its used-ventilation).

When using a solvent spotter with significant amounts of either of these two, it is wise to use with adequate ventilation as to avoid breathing the evaporated vapors in concentration.

Light Aliphatic Hydrocarbon is a broad chemical classification that many hydrocarbon solvents fall into. Examples are mineral spirits and a few "garden variety" petroleum distillates. It usually refers to any hydrocarbon solvent that does not contain a "benzene ring". "Light" usually refers to it being somewhat volatile, but still remaining relatively liquid, as opposed to something which boils away into vapor at room temperature (e.g. methane or butane). Light Aliphatic Hydrocarbon solvents are the predominant class of chemicals used in dry spotters today.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Thanks, all. The reason I ask is that we use this combo of chems to remove cured ink from screenprinted apparel. It is applied by an electric hand held spotting gun that shoots out a tight, high pressure stream, which breaks up dried, or cured screenprint ink, such as a smudge or small mis-print or drop. of ink. It must be cured first......screen print ink (plastisol) never dries without curing at about 330* for a minute in a curing oven.

So.........I guess I shouldn't be bringing this into custys houses??? I haven't yet, but I thought it would make for a great gum and paint remover.

To Bawb.....I will be printing those shirts today/tonite......don't get cher panties in a bunch!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
rwcarpet said:
So.........I guess I shouldn't be bringing this into custys houses??? I haven't yet, but I thought it would make for a great gum and paint remover.

If used with care (sparingly, with adequate ventilation), then you shouldn't be too terribly worried.* On another note, you want to be careful with a product like this and its potential effect on latex, and what it might do to carpet backings. Apply the product to a towel, and then apply the towel to the spot to lessen the risk.

* There are some w may disagree with me, and I can respect that. It's not unusual at all to be concerned with the use of any hydrocarbon solvents. In fact, many try to do without them as much as is possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom