For Those Using "Groupon"?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I noticed an ad yesterday for a local CC cleaning company, and they were offering a limited number of Groupons for their service. With the Groupon, it effectively brought the cost of 2 rooms of carpet cleaning down to $30. Now, the Groupon shoppers don't seem like the kind of custys that would consider any extras....any "upsells" while you were there. Other than creating a new custy that will, of course, want the same price next time, what are the advantages??

2 rooms of carpet with travel and setup is gonna burn an hour of time, at least. Tell me where the advantage is in giving away cleaning, other than a very occational new custy that will pay more next time? I don't see it.

Mike Draper

ding! you hit the nail on the head. I think as an owner operator it will only do more harm to your business than good.

DerrickH

The Groupon is a great idea for restaurants and sometimes shops. But I agree, that it wouldn't be good for a infrequent service like carpet cleaning. Although if you could make a little profit rather than breaking even and you could do a good enough job, the client could be so impressed that they want their carpets and floors cleaned on an annual basis. The other advantage is that you have one more contact for direct mail and other marketing offers. I find a lot of business either comes form referrals or from the mailer coupons. One of the mailer and online coupons is Valpak. There are different options like free coupons where you could clean one room free when two rooms are cleaned. There's also some that comes from Internet searches.

dgargan

Our average upsell on the Groupon has bees $243.
Have any of the cleaners that have not tried Groupon ever ran the numbers on how much you pay to acquire a new customer with your other marketing? I bet if you did it would be about the same as we give up in our Groupon discount.

I think what gives most of you guys the creeps is your looking at these low baller companies with their low dollar amount groupon ad's. Structure the deal right and you will make money.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've said all I can say about the subject. Saying it again isn't going to get anyone to believe one way or the other.

If you've mad up your mind...Congrats!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I will say that my Sac area is hitting on April 25th. We'll see.

Damn...I just can't shut the hell up. :lol:

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
dgargan said:
Have any of the cleaners that have not tried Groupon ever ran the numbers on how much you pay to acquire a new customer with your other marketing? I bet if you did it would be about the same as we give up in our Groupon discount.

I think what gives most of you guys the creeps is your looking at these low baller companies with their low dollar amount groupon ad's. Structure the deal right and you will make money.
You say "structure the deal right"? They command how much you charge....that's the problem I have with them, they dictate your prices

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Bee Busy said:
dgargan said:

You say "structure the deal right"? They command how much you charge....that's the problem I have with them, they dictate your prices

I would guess if you raised your prices 100%, then gave a 50% off coupon, things would be good?

@ Dave ........ you must have an area that responds well to big discounts and then an upsell. Arouind here, if they can get it cheaper, they will, and they don't want to spend more money.

I could see maybe giving a "Groupon" for extreas such as deodorizing or protector. That would make more sense since it's an "upsell".

If you're successfull with groupon, then keep on keeping on!

CDRX

Seems like some guys are making Groupon work. Usually doing a fair amount of upselling by way of a sales presentation.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I have a local guy here that did groupon and I will be speaking to him on how it went for him and whether or not it was worth it next time he comes in. For those of you that have interest in knowing his results I'll post them when I hear them.

Jquint

dgargan said:

Man you sound like the groupon sales people. "this is guaranteed clients, SEO can't do that!"

You're not giving your service for 50% off your prices, you're doing it for almost 75% less and losing money while you're cleaning. No upsell, then you're losing, you get an upsell, GREAT, but you still have to clean the "coupon" areas which in turn, is eating into your profit.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
My customer says that he has mixed thoughts on how well it is working so far. He sold 190 tickets and the add he ran was 3 rooms for 39 bucks. He has done a few jobs but has had very little luck upselling, a room here a room there. All in all he got around 3800 from the add but only a few bucks from add ons. But they are guaranteed customers that will look for that same price next time tough. Is it worth it?

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
ah.....no...if I did 109 at a $100 minimum I'd make $10,900 then give them 50%? Sounds like desperation and prostitution...everyone needs to remember the now high cost of gas, chemicals....and good ol' Uncle Sam..this is desperation...spare me the "I'm gonna win them over and make them custy's for life" these bottomfeeder custy's will drop u in a heartbeat when the next Groupon guy comes around for $29.00 5 romms and a hall

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom