For those using ServiceMagic...

A

anspach

If you've used SM in the past (or are currently using it) you know that in most cases you are competing against 2-5 other cleaners for the same lead, while getting clipped between 13-20 for the right of competing.

And, in most cases, the person who responds the quickest gets the job.

Twenty leads per month at between 15-20 is $300-400 -- it's a great deal if you are the one getting the jobs, but not so great if you aren't. I've heard some cleaners get more than 20 leads a month--- the price adds up.

Just curious...
What if you were to get exclusivity to a certain area and receive unlimited leads?
No fighting the competition. No dropping everything to respond to a potential customer.
You decide what to do with the leads, you contact them on your time.

Would it still be worth the $300-400 a month? Or would it be worth more?
Or do you need the competition at your heals to keep you motivated?

I just think there's a better way. Why pay for a lead if your competition is getting that same lead?
Level the playing field...play by your rules!

What do you think?

Rob Anspach
http://www.robanspach.com

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Networkcleaning/ Brian Robison and many others is already doing that. Sorry your a little late to the game.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
anspach said:
Would it still be worth the $300-400 a month? Or would it be worth more?

I just think there's a better way. Why pay for a lead if your competition is getting that same lead?
Level the playing field...play by your rules!

What do you think?

Rob Anspach
http:/.robanspach.com

You can have your own dedicated website for far less ($10-50) per month.

Why would anybody pay $300-400 per month?

BTW: service magic here is on page 2-3 and just on adwords. It's worthless except for the back links to help ranking a little.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Service magic is a decent idea with a flawed system. It just doesn't work the way they do it.

I believe they promote throat cutting and that's not good for business.

Running specials is one thing but lowering your price to beat the other guys is a bottomless pit.

Spend your money to get yourself in front of people. Or spend your time doing it yourself.

No matter what, you're going to have an investment so invest it wisely.

I think "leads" should be paid AFTER the job is done.

AND you shouldn't have too pay too much money for an ad to make you money.

G

GroutGuy

I have been using service magic for four years with awesome results, it took some time for me to build my profile and get reviews, now with 35+ 5 star ratings it is easier than ever to close a lead. When service magic gives you a lead, it includes all the persons info, phone, address, e-mail... what you do with that info after getting the lead is up to you. I have customers for life, that have originally found me through service magic, they call me time and time again and refer me to their friends. This more than makes up for the tire kickers and leads I was not able to close. As with any sales job, you need to keep calling, follow up, send e-mails. I am doing a job from service magic next week that I quoted a year ago! I added them to my mailing list and sent them monthly e-mails as I do with everyone on my list. I do believe SM is better in some areas than others, however I have no complaints. It also works hand and hand with my own seo work, Google shows ratings from my service magic profile right on my googles places page. What I found to be truly a waste of money, is the BBB and the yellow pages (book)... Service magic and BNI are my 2 best sources for work, hands down.

dgargan

I posted on SM a few times and here's my take. It used to work fine for us, not great but a 3 to 1 return. Over the past 1.5 years they took out the requirement that all carpet cleaning companies had to provide proof of Liability ins.. Then they added more cleaners in my area getting the same leads. I was only able to reach 1 in 20 to even give a quote so I dropped them except for tile, and hardwood leads.
They had a good idea but lost their way.

Name
Nate W.
Brian R said:
Service magic is a decent idea with a flawed system. It just doesn't work the way they do it.

I believe they promote throat cutting and that's not good for business.

Running specials is one thing but lowering your price to beat the other guys is a bottomless pit.

Spend your money to get yourself in front of people. Or spend your time doing it yourself.

No matter what, you're going to have an investment so invest it wisely.

I think "leads" should be paid AFTER the job is done.

AND you shouldn't have too pay too much money for an ad to make you money.

And Groupon doesn't??? Pot, Kettle, yea..... :lol:

Jus bustin your chops B... I know you were waiting for it anyways... shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
:lol:
Yeah, that's why I made the preemptive statement..."Running specials is one thing..." lol

I've just been busted. lol

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have talked to many people from other businesses that just hated it, feel they got burned

they try to sell me all the time but never done it

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I think the ones who benefit from it would be companies with high tickets....$1000 or more per job.

Then the 20 or 30 lost $13's wouldn't see so bad.

S

sam miller

Tried it for a month got 4-5 lookie loos crack heads up at 2 am leaving request and decided it wasnt for me. Not spending $13.00 to talk to a crack head who's looking for a deal. blowme

randy

Name
Randy
Service Magic is in the same category of those marketing outfits that market carpet cleaning and then sell the lead, often for as much as 50% of the job. Doing business with them does several things to hurt our industry but mainly puts a new competitor in the marketplace that has none of the internal costs of the production side of the business. Over the years I have dealt with several of these outfits including Service Magic and it never works out for long. The leads are not exactly quality.

By running jobs for these outfits you are just bringing an outsider into your local market.

G

GroutGuy

service magic will never work if you only try it for only a month or so. The reason is because people actually read through the ratings, after I got a handful of 5 star ratings, all I have to do say "mam, look at the ratings and what other people have said, do you want to use a company with a proven track record or do you want to take a gamble to save $20?" Service magic will give the info of 3 companies to the potential customer, a lot of customers will take that information and research it before answering the phone or calling companies back. Quite often people have made up their mind to use me, before I even talk to them. This is why many folks puts lead requests in late at night, because they want to research you before hand, so they are not slamed with 3 high pressure contrators all at once. To catorgitize all of your first 5 leads as 2 am crack heads, is ridiculous. I'll bet with a couple more calls, and some of my emails outlining why we would be a good choice, I could have closed at least 2 of those 5. As with any advertising you do, you must label yourself as a salesman before you can be labeled as a carpet cleaner.

dgargan

Peter the problem I was having is never being able to talk to the prospect. I was able to reach 1 in 20. If I got them on the phone we did well at getting them to use us but it got to the point where we could not reach anyone. I had the leads coming direct to my cell phone and I was calling them immediately and sending out a pre made email with an offer if they called. Never once did I ever in 5 years have a Service Magic lead call me back when I left a phone message or email. We always made 3 calls to each client and then let it go if there was no response.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
dgargan said:
Peter the problem I was having is never being able to talk to the prospect. I was able to reach 1 in 20. If I got them on the phone we did well at getting them to use us but it got to the point where we could not reach anyone. I had the leads coming direct to my cell phone and I was calling them immediately and sending out a pre made email with an offer if they called. Never once did I ever in 5 years have a Service Magic lead call me back when I left a phone message or email. We always made 3 calls to each client and then let it go if there was no response.
let me guess? the "customer" didn't have an answering machine to leave a message either....just kept ringing and ringing...that was my experience with the exception of a few

G

GroutGuy

I think it must be that some areas are better than others for service magic. Here in northern va. we have a lot of government and military folks, these people move around a lot and rely on service magic for carpet cleaners. The DC area is actuallty #1 for service magic. I have talked to several contractors in my network group, they all say they do well with SM. Oh well... if it doesn't work for you, I don't blame you for not using it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom