For you BD Cold weather boys!! Heating van outside.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Getting new set up this week and finalizing business loan Thursday to take over what I've been running for 6 years.

YES..I will be a new TM Owner and no longer a porty hack.

I'm in good old Central Iowa.

I had a garage lined up and it fell through last week.

WORST CASE SCENARIO. If I need to heat van outside. Which I know some think may be a bad idea. I have normal cargo van with no fancy insulation job.

If we go below zero again, will heat stay inside the van if it's parked outside with heater running.

Do you set heater or small fan next to blower or main truckmount area??? We will mostly be in 20's and 30's next week during day. One night maybe below zero.

Thanks!!!

OH! And for those curious :)...I am getting a TM Custom built from frame. 45 Roots Blower. 1800 PSI Hypro. 20 HP Motor. W/Heat Exchanger but I am still looking to Adapt Hotsy 350,000 BTU Heater to if I hear back from owner of the Hotsy machine I am looking at.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Keeping it out of the wind is HUGE , but if you can't... cover your truck mount with a couple nice sleeping bags and blow your heater under right at the exchangers and pump if you can. On the real cold nights use two heaters on different circuits. Keep your hoses off the floor and take your tools inside. Best to use an inline thermostat

Last edited:

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
On those super cold night I run three electric heaters in my vortex parked outside.

A submersible bucket heater in the fresh water tank. A fan style heater to circulate the air and wall wall heater.

It proved sufficient when we had minus 10 degree nights a couple years ago.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
in addition hang a litebulb next to the pressure guage and one at the pump as well....
the capilary tube going to the pressure guage will freeze first of all.....

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
You might not need fancy insulation.

Here's a pic of the 2" rigid foam i got at HD cheap. I installed it using a hacksaw and some tape. Then, put the panels back up.

It's not perfect but i'm sure it will help.

IMAG0175_zps17c38c9b.jpg

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The most efficient way to heat in these conditions is to use an overhead infrared heater. This way you will not be wasting the huge amount of energy to heat the air.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Getting new set up this week and finalizing business loan Thursday to take over what I've been running for 6 years.

YES..I will be a new TM Owner.

:rockon::clap:

CONGRATS!!

as Kieth mentioned, wind will be the biggest enemy to keeping it warm.
Get an RV cover or some other wind resistant full length covering to keep the heat in and wind out

two 1500 wt ceramic heaters w/wind cover/blanket "should" keep you warm enough in bitter cold to not have to bring in tools every night.
if you go with radiant or convection type heaters, you need a small fan to circulate the warm air that will rise to the roof .
otherwise, chit on or near the floor can freeze

a word of caution on using 1500 wt heaters..as already mentioned, each should be on separate circuits.
also use at least 12 gauge wire extension cords, and cord should only as long as needed ...don't use a fiddy ft'r if you only need 15ft.
Buy a dedicated 15ft or 25ft 12ga cord if that's all the longer you need

"IF" it's bitter cold and windy and the heaters won't keep up, start the TM and let run for 10-15 minutes .
cover or partially block the vac port to create lift to put a load on engine and blower....the unit will heat up pretty quick and plenty warm.
The convection heat from a hot TM is very substantial and will keep the elect heaters ahead of the freeze for many, many hours

have a back-up plan for the worst ..like a blizzard or ice storm that knocks out power .
kerosene convection heaters are cheap insurance ($120 bukz for for a 23k BTU heater)
Propane sunflower heaters will do it too.

matter of fact, a 23K btu kero heater and small fan to circulate will keep your van toasty warm in bitter conditions .
Be advised though,the van can't be "air tight" or the kero heater will consume all the oxygen and flame slowly smother, go out and you'll have a sooty mess in the van ..ask me how i know :redface:
so a window has to be cracked

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I insulate with rolls of the stuff that looks like foil with bubble wrap in-between. Your should have them insulated it BEFORE you get the truckmount installed and it is in a garage. Lots of wither still left with more to follow in the coming years. If it freezes you are back to the porty with big payment for a broken tool. NO Insulation or garage? It's about like saying you are getting a new car. But you can't afford to put oil in it. Maybe you should just hold off a few more months and not make a rash decision it you are not ready yet.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
:rockon::clap:

CONGRATS!!

as Kieth mentioned, wind will be the biggest enemy to keeping it warm.
Get an RV cover or some other wind resistant full length covering to keep the heat in and wind out

two 1500 wt ceramic heaters w/wind cover/blanket "should" keep you warm enough in bitter cold to not have to bring in tools every night.
if you go with radiant or convection type heaters, you need a small fan to circulate the warm air that will rise to the roof .
otherwise, chit on or near the floor can freeze

a word of caution on using 1500 wt heaters..as already mentioned, each should be on separate circuits.
also use at least 12 gauge wire extension cords, and cord should only as long as needed ...don't use a fiddy ft'r if you only need 15ft.
Buy a dedicated 15ft or 25ft 12ga cord if that's all the longer you need

"IF" it's bitter cold and windy and the heaters won't keep up, start the TM and let run for 10-15 minutes .
cover or partially block the vac port to create lift to put a load on engine and blower....the unit will heat up pretty quick and plenty warm.
The convection heat from a hot TM is very substantial and will keep the elect heaters ahead of the freeze for many, many hours

have a back-up plan for the worst ..like a blizzard or ice storm that knocks out power .
kerosene convection heaters are cheap insurance ($120 bukz for for a 23k BTU heater)
Propane sunflower heaters will do it too.

matter of fact, a 23K btu kero heater and small fan to circulate will keep your van toasty warm in bitter conditions .
Be advised though,the van can't be "air tight" or the kero heater will consume all the oxygen and flame slowly smother, go out and you'll have a sooty mess in the van ..ask me how i know :redface:
so a window has to be cracked

..L.T.A.

No fan needed for radiant heat. All surfaces that radiant heat comes in contact with will be warmed.It is not meant to heat the air just the surfaces it comes in contact with .The heat that is released from the surfaces that are heated is nothing more than a small bonus from using radiant heat.
That is what makes radiant heat so efficient.

Back
Top Bottom