Ford commercial for transit

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Any body see the new commercial with the mocked restoration company vans in it?

I saw hoses going into the structure but didn't notice a TM in the van.

Looked for it online and can't find it?

Chavez?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
There are extensive areas of the floor of the van designated as "no drill zones". That restriction makes most truck mounts impossible to install without interfering with the warranty of the truck, including liability for gas tank punctures from bolts near the fuel tank.

You can get a fuel kit for this van, but installing the unit itself could be a challenge.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim is correct . . . Ford has lots of moxie for showing carpet restoration in a van that is . . .

expensive and difficult to properly install a TM in.

Special "one model" subframe required for this install will limit the flexibility of locating the TM . .

Larry

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
The Transit Connect works great for a commercial setup transporting Cimex, Porty, OP's, etc.

Our carpet cleaning company's van...

kleenstep-van_1.png

But a trucknount? Not a good idea.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Different van.

The "no drill" designation is actually a favor for installers, I've noticed goofs with existing vans in that respect.

The solution would be to use two templates, preferably on transparent stock. Put down the "no drill" template first and then the machine, tanks, and reel templates OVER that. Slide it around to determine best fit. Mark the mounting holes and fuel line hole.

Reactions: Dan and J Scott W

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If the no drill area wasn't so extensive, I'd agree. As Larry said, it would take a subframe to bolt to the floor, then the unit to the subframe.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Page 34, the transit is ready for an in solution tank coolant heat exchanger for heating up the water on the way to your job.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
After looking it over I have to agree with lee unless I am missing something here.

A simple but rigid subframe should be a simple task and might even start giving most equipment buyers a reason for a fresh tank that sits under the machine.

For a dynachem unit, this process should not even be trivial, just a matter of measuring and adjusting the tank size or tie down points to the vans no drill zone.

I do understand that now manufactures have to do "more" or make a different model for this van, but if they do t want to then the manufacturer that does make a unit for these vans will sell the truckmounts to the guys that want to use and buy these vans.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Other industries that mount equipment in vans are griping a lot more than you see here. Easy to say, just build a subframe, but a little harder to explain to the buyer that floorspace will have to be used differently than they want and it's going to cost more than if they'd bought another brand of van.

Eventually everyone will have subframes built and Ford buyers will realize they're going to have to factor in the extra cost. It will cease to be an issue. Unless... Ford gets enough feedback or sees market share slipping enough to redesign.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
but a little harder to explain to the buyer that floorspace will have to be used differently than they want
That's where I can see most of the real bitching beginning. Most people can get over the additional cost but more and still not get what you want. I feel sorry for the distributors having to explain that one. :icon_neutral:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
There won't be a redesign for a long time more 3/4 of companies who buy vans just need shelves and have no reel need for heavy equipment tie points.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
After looking it over I have to agree with lee unless I am missing something here.

A simple but rigid subframe should be a simple task and might even start giving most equipment buyers a reason for a fresh tank that sits under the machine.

For a dynachem unit, this process should not even be trivial, just a matter of measuring and adjusting the tank size or tie down points to the vans no drill zone.

I do understand that now manufactures have to do "more" or make a different model for this van, but if they do t want to then the manufacturer that does make a unit for these vans will sell the truckmounts to the guys that want to use and buy these vans.

Gotta agree here, why not use the full height of this van and build a sub mount fresh tank/ frame to set the machine on to attach to the areas that can be drilled.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Although it would be difficult (near impossible) to get the TM mfgr's to agree, my thought would be to build a subframe for each new vehicle with standardized mounting points, like the Picatinny rail mounting system for firearms, that would mount inside the van. Everyone's TM would mount at the same points interchangeably. The subframe would not be custom, and could be manufactured by anyone.

For older TM's (made before the standard) or TM's that dont conform, you could have adaptor plates to mate the TM to the standard mounting points. Design/fabrication of the adaptor plate would be much less complex than designing a complete new subframe.

Getting everyone to agree on a standard would be the main issue.....

Back
Top Bottom