Ford F-150 Sheds 700 lbs in Quest for Fuel Economy

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
By going to extensive aluminum body panels and high strength steel frame, Ford cut 700 lbs from it's new Pick-Up.

This expensive construction technique is required to meet Federal fuel economy targets for trucks next year.

Ford estimated mileage figures at 25 mpg.

A very good achievement for a full size pick-up.

Unfortunately, van must meet the same targets.

That is why the Euro vans are being imported by the top manufacturers.

Larry

Last edited:

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah, however might their be exceptions for 3/4 or larger trucks? Much like today, NO EPA estimates required on window sticker.

As for the new F150, I nearly bought a brand new on this last 1/4, Then I heard rumors of 25 mpg plus, I've even heard better.
So I will stick for now with my 07 4x4 with 16.5 hwy mpg.. lol

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It is not an atlas at all and for that I am very upset. The released photo of the truck have me questioning if I will be buying one. Maybe they look better in person .

I am also wondering how many of the newer smaller economist engine they will sell. So who knows but will say at least in photos the truck looks weird to me.

Becker

Name
Becker
I thought that about the current model. It grew on me as did the super duty.

Mine is even later.

8yqedyna.jpg

Still looks good even after 100,000 miles.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
A quote from the current government:

The Obama Administration today finalized groundbreaking standards that will increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025

Any questions as to how they will achieve those ratings ?

Smaller & lighter vans with even smaller engines.

Larry

Becker

Name
Becker
Is a one ton considered light duty?

I'd love to see a one ton dual, able to tow 12,000 pound safely and get 54.5 mpgs, or even 20 mpgs.

Becker

Name
Becker
Our state wants to increase our gas tax another .11 to make up for more efficient cars. Already 37.5 per gal. That would push us past NY as the leader in highest gas tax.

Current price 3.50ish.

FredC

Village Idiot
Is a one ton considered light duty?

I'd love to see a one ton dual, able to tow 12,000 pound safely and get 54.5 mpgs, or even 20 mpgs.

Federal regulations define a light-duty truck to be any motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (curb weight plus payload) of no more than 8,500 pounds (3,855.5 kg) which is “(1) Designed primarily for purposes of transportation of property or is a derivation of such a vehicle, or (2) Designed primarily for transportation of persons and has a capacity of more than 12 persons, or (3) Available with special features enabling off-street or off-highway operation and use.”[SUP][1]

[/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_truck

Reactions: Becker

Becker

Name
Becker
Thought so..

That is why ya never see epa stickers on 3/4 or greater.

I bet truck owners move toward the super dutys if the f150 become to whimpy.

Buck1955

Name
John
Ford and Toyota were going to make a hybrid but now they've split so I'm waiting for the Tundra hybrid. My 2004 has only cost me $79.00 in repairs (beside oil, brakes, etc.).

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I wonder if Ford decided that it was cheaper to use aluminum and shed weight than follow the Dodge path of using an eight speed transmission strong enough to use in a truck. The aluminum might resist dings better than steel, but there aren't many body shops that can work aluminum, so it might cost a fortune to repair.

We're living in the last days of everyday vehicles having V-8 power.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Chris A

Name
Chris
Did I mention that I LOVE my Ram 1500 4x4 hemi with the 6 speed... and I get 21 mpg on the highway...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom