Ford Motorheads Out There.....Genesis Questions.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
My Genesis has a VSG 413 Enduro Ford engine made in Italy. 1.3 ltr. I cannot find an oil filter for it. I was using a Purolator PL10183, but my local part stores do not carry it anymore. In fact, Advance Auto says there are none to be found at any stores. It takes an EFL-125 Motorcraft filter, but I can find none of those. I went to a local Ford Industrial dealer today, and he says he can't find any. How did they all just disappear? I've tried seaching for cross reference charts online, but none have any decent info. I like to change the filter every 50 hours, but skipped the last filter change. I need one real soon.

Any of you Ford diehards out there know which 80's-90's Ford cars used that engine?

Back to Google.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Turns out your VSG-413 is used in lots of industrial equipment from mowers to welders. Interestingly, none of them use the filter you mentioned. All the ones I found use the same filters. Here is a sample listing for Winco generators, they (like all the others I found) specify Motorcraft FL-400A, Napa 1516, or Fram PH3600:

vsg413filter.jpg

This would correspond to a Purolator L20195, not your L10183.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Thanks, all. I just couldn't find any cross reference for my engine. All the sites I went to just sent you to "other" sites. The original Pur L10183 was crossed over years ago by an older employee from Advance Auto. I guess I should have double checked his references. I just took it for granted since I never had a problem with the filters or finding them.

I know the oil filter is exttremely important....there are many that fit and look alike. What is the main difference in oil filters that look and fit the same? Is it pressure? Bypass? Flow direction?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
rwcarpet said:
I know the oil filter is exttremely important....there are many that fit and look alike. What is the main difference in oil filters that look and fit the same? Is it pressure? Bypass? Flow direction?

The filter you have been using has no relief valve. All the ones I suggested do, except the L10183.

According to a Ford bulletin I found, very early versions of your engine had a relief built in to the oil pump, and used a non-relief filter. Later models deleted the oil pump relief, and they changed to a filter that had the relief, however Ford says it's OK to use the relief filter even if the engine has an oil pump relief, so the filters listed in the Winco table will work on any VSG-413, but the filter you have been using should only be used on an early motor that has an oil-pump relief.

The bulletin also mentioned that if the oil pump has been replaced on an early engine, the replacement pump will not have a relief, and must switch to the relief-type filter.

If you use a non-relief filter on a non-relief motor, you run the chance of bursting the filter if the filter gets plugged up, not to mention starving the engine of oil - probably not an issue for you if you change filters every 50 hours.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
dgardner said:
rwcarpet said:

The filter you have been using has no relief valve. All the ones I suggested do, except the L10183.

According to a Ford bulletin I found, very early versions of your engine had a relief built in to the oil pump, and used a non-relief filter. Later models deleted the oil pump relief, and they changed to a filter that had the relief, however Ford says it's OK to use the relief filter even if the engine has an oil pump relief, so the filters listed in the Winco table will work on any VSG-413, but the filter you have been using should only be used on an early motor that has an oil-pump relief.

The bulletin also mentioned that if the oil pump has been replaced on an early engine, the replacement pump will not have a relief, and must switch to the relief-type filter.

If you use a non-relief filter on a non-relief motor, you run the chance of bursting the filter if the filter gets plugged up, not to mention starving the engine of oil - probably not an issue for you if you change filters every 50 hours.

Thanks, Dan.......I actually went with the Fram 3600. I found the last one I used in one of my drain pans, so I have used it before. Good, usefull info about how oil filters work. An owner could get into some big trouble by not using the right oil filter with relief.

Plus....I found a Purolator L20195 in the drain pan, also. Someone must have directed me to it last year.

Name
Robert
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would throw this out there because I also had a little trouble finding the right oil filter for my Genesis' VSG-413. I buy Champion brand oil filters (part #PH2835) by the case. Champion filters are made for auto parts warehouses by Fram but cost about 1/3 the price. I pay $2.17 per filter at an auto parts store compared to $4-5 per Fram filter at Walmart.

That being said, does anyone know where to get a replacement AIR filter for this Ford engine?! I have searched long and hard for a replacement Purolator filter but can't find anything. I'm having to use a 2.5" K&N style filter with a series of reducers to make it fit on the intake pipe connected to the carburetor.

Thanks,

-Robert

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would throw this out there because I also had a little trouble finding the right oil filter for my Genesis' VSG-413. I buy Champion brand oil filters (part #PH2835) by the case. Champion filters are made for auto parts warehouses by Fram but cost about 1/3 the price. I pay $2.17 per filter at an auto parts store compared to $4-5 per Fram filter at Walmart.

That being said, does anyone know where to get a replacement AIR filter for this Ford engine?! I have searched long and hard for a replacement Purolator filter but can't find anything. I'm having to use a 2.5" K&N style filter with a series of reducers to make it fit on the intake pipe connected to the carburetor.

Thanks,

-Robert

As for the air filter, that's what I use....a K&B filter, reduced to fit to carb intake. The original filter is from mining equipment applications. I think the K&B breathes easier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom