Fresh Water Tank Question..

DannyD

It's looking like I'll be getting my TM in the next month or so. I'll find out Monday for sure but the loan officer said it's most likely a go.

So now I'd also like to get a fresh water tank. I realize there'll be variables but would 80 gallons be enough for 3 jobs most of the time? I like the idea of poly tanks because they don't rust. Are they the best way to go though, or is stainless steel better?

Also, my van is a 2000 model year. I take pretty good care of it, but still think in the next year or 2 I'll be wanting another one. Are freshwater tanks pretty easy to put in a new van?

Are there any other things I might want to consider that I'm not thinking of here?

Thanx for your time,
Danny

ps: any links-emails from suppliers would be appreciated.

John Watson

We have the 110-120 gal water well and it works well for us mounted in a 1 ton stretch van
I used to have the 60 gal version but it was way to small.. We modified ours and put an additional float switch about 2-3 inches off the bottom of the tank so we could just run with 2 -3 inches of water in the tank and hook up at every job if we wanted to.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First off, what type of machine are you looking at? Regardless of slide in or Direct drive(But Direct DRive especelly) you may want to consider dropping the ball on a new van and machine at the same time instead of the hassle of installing the machine and all accesorires and then paying a again to have it installed in another van. Alot of suppliers will sell you a complete package truck and machine and thus the financing is all under one note. This could include equipement and accessoreis as well. So something to consider.

Jon Don is great to work with in Roselle, IL .

We run a hydramaster cds 4.8 with dual 60 gallon saddle tanks to give us 120 gallons. If you are or are planning on using high flow wands like the greenhorn, you will have to be pretty light on the trigger to do 3 hourse on even 120 gallons. We generally get about 1400 to 1600 sqft out of a 120 gallons.

Here are some pics of our setup and a few others:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24378

DannyD

Hi,

First of all sweet set up there. The TM I'm getting is the Savage. I'm going to hold off on a new van at the moment because I need to do this incrementally. ie, a car payment will be dropping off & this will take it's place. That way I don't get in over my head financially. Plus my van is in pretty good shape still. 145,000 mostly highway miles & pretty well maintained. It has auto fill but I'd prefer not to have to hook up at people's homes if I can help it.

I like the idea of two 60 gallon tanks. Delivering freight in my previous job I definately understand weight distribution. That was kind of in my mind as I was asking the original question of the 80 gallons. I also like the idea of the float switch in case I do have to hook up at the job.

Thanx for the input.

GRHeacock

Another thing to consider is the weight of the water.

120 gallons will weigh about 1000 pounds, plus the tank and plumbing weight.

This can affect your braking, tires, gas mileage, etc.

I am not saying do not do this, but it is something to think about.

I would recommend overload springs and heavier shocks, higher weight rated tires, and new brakes all around, regardless of their present condition.

Gary

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
First of all , David must have money pouring out of his butt by the statement he made. A slide in would be easier to move to a newer van and I wouldn't install a CDS in a van with a large amount of mileage. A poly tank is perfect, especially one with shelves molded into it. Just don't buy a machine that will cost you too much money to keep running. Tell everyone here what you want to buy and we will give you our honest opinion.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
another thing to consider is your jet size......

I run a 135 gallon pre heated tank and I was getting 5 to 7 jobs a day out of it..( pending the size of the job )

I switched over to 18 flow and now if I can knock out 4 jobs a day I am lucky...

Name
Bruce
Hi Danny, I guess I didn't see what size van you said you have.

Seeing that you are from MI and not far from my area the most important thing to think about is cold weather. Most people shut off all out side water so it does not freeze, this will be a life saver in winter regardless of what size tank you have. I would say 80 would do you just fine.

Remember, don't look at your freshwater tank as your only supply of water for the day. It's just another tool to help you get through the jobs with out water until you can get a water hook up.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I agree with Bruce. I would look seriously at the new 80 Gallon tank from Mytee. The Savage gives you a lot of layout options. I find I go through less water (less passes) with the awesome heat of the Savage and a 14" Greenhorn.

DannyD

My van is a 2000 Ford E-250 Cargo Van. I'm not sure how to post pics or I'd show ya. It doesn't have shelving, but it has cabinets over each side. I have 49 inches of space between the cabinets. This was done because I used to use it for freight. A skid is normally 48 inches wide. Therefore in securing my frieght I only had to make sure it didn't slide forward. I never had to worry about any side to side movement.

The machine I'm getting is the Savage E Beast. I've seen it in action & was impressed. A big glob of wax & about 7 passes & this stuff was up. I'm guessing the dry time would have been about an hour if the booster is hooked up. Nothing scientific there, just touch of the fingers to the carpet. Seemed just a tad more wet than OP, which I currently use. I was also impressed w/ a Butler but a Savage seems to fit what I need a bit better at this time.

Good points on it lookin like I might have to use someone elses water anyway. And also yea in Michigan here there's not a lot of jobs in winter. So I might be only needing enough water for 1 or 2 a day during then & in summer maybe tap into someone elses if I run out.

Gary, thanx for the tip on that. I'm a step ahead of ya though. My van is set up to deliver freight. I believe the most I've carried is about 3500 pounds (not ideal I know) & frequently carried over 1000. You are so right that there's a difference in handling when ya have weight in there. That's why I asked about the 80 gallons. I wasn't sure how much water weighed but I figured that would be gettin me near 1000 pounds.

On the jet size thing, maybe Bob can see this post & add in what flow he uses. I like the idea of high heat/high flow. What would be the ideal flow I'd want?

Last thing. These water tanks now have shelves? Sweet.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Ditto the saddle tanks. Especially with the 2500. The weight distribution is great. I have a set that I'm pulling out of an old back up unit. They're still in great shape if your interested.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Doug Cox said:
First of all , David must have money pouring out of his butt by the statement he made. A slide in would be easier to move to a newer van and I wouldn't install a CDS in a van with a large amount of mileage. A poly tank is perfect, especially one with shelves molded into it. Just don't buy a machine that will cost you too much money to keep running. Tell everyone here what you want to buy and we will give you our honest opinion.

I only wish I had money pourin out my but.. it was just a suggestion, with the little I knew about him. Heck with the new stimulus maybe he could get some bail out.. as long as he promises not to pay to ceo over half a mil. :wink:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Danny;

I also like the new Mytee rotomolded water tank.
T-80S-Photo.gif

It can be installed across the van width for better weight distribution.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom