Frozen Hydro Master

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
One of my really good friends got into business over the summer and bought a brand new hydro master, direct drive from Jon Don. I've been very impressed with the business he has been able to generate. He is avoiding all of the mistakes I've made over the years. He is about the third person I have put into the carpet cleaning business. He has done all of the right things as far as heating his truck in the cold winter months, two heaters running at night. So, today he calls me from a customer's home and says his heat exchanger was shooting water all over the place. We were able to assist him in getting the job done and retaining the customer. The problem I see that it was never told to him that there is a dog house containing all of the major componets- heat exchanger, pump, etc. that was getting no heat from his heaters and all of the cold air from the outside. If he would have removed his dog house, he would have been fine. Why was this not disclosed to him???? Guess who gets to eat the cost?? Wrong IMO!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I have a NEW respect for you guys that clean in the COLD CLIMATES....

What a PITA...We have had 4 nights in a row of freezing weather ...high 20's..

I don't know how you do it EVERY DAY..."I would never sleep.."

I will be willing to BET ..that the DISTY's here are HAPPY...Because the way most of the
cleaners here in FL...maintain their equipment... :roll: "I am sure MANY FROZE"

We just DO NOT ...have cold weather..for long periods of time...this far south in fl.. :shock:

I FEEL FOR YOUR FREIND... :cry:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I HAVEa lot Of FAmiLITY in port CHARlet ME andCOLE are GOing to TRY our lUCK. J/K.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Man, that sucks. Tell your friend to have the HE rebuilt for about half the cost of replacment and help him out tell he is back up. I just rewinertized my Steamway in the box truck. Despite my extensive efforts to insulate the thing it was getting to cold on the floor 80F two feet up and ice on the floor. Air mvment is key. Damn this global warming!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
It has been a little chilly here the last few days. We even hit 36 this morning. My biggest complaint is the 200gals of water that the hx can't heat up. It barely holds 200 when it's this cold and it takes a good 30 minutes to get that. Today to combat the cold water I started the machine 30 min before the job to let it get hot and made sure to run the tank down so that the warmer faucet water could fill the tank. I doubt that it would ever get cold enough here to freeze.

Gene

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Erik, tell him ne needs to button down that truck as best as possible and tell him to even throw a blanket over the door open to the machine. I've had mine working at even -25(-45 w/windchill) and no problems but I kept the wand moving, and solution flowing and once the machine was on, I kept all other doors closed and had everythign I would need inside and working.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Down to nine here last night. NO heaters. Didn't freeze.

Of course I vacuum all the water out of the machine last job of the day.

The line to the pressure gauge has a loop in in it that keeps antifreeze on the gauge side.

Mike Draper

our high tomorrow is supposed to be about 11and -5 for the low. when I'm out working in the morning at 9am it will prolly be about 0 deg. I generally have 2 minutes to get water going through my hose or it will freeze at that temp. I HATE WINTER!

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Thanks David, the unit froze at night. When the truck is running it's warmed by the heat exchanger.He's going to have to lift the dog house at night to let the heat in. (lesson learned)

This is the coldest I have ever seen it here. Saturday we have a low around 5 degrees with a daytime high around 12 and snowy. I have a good heater but I found I get better protection using a small 15 dollar heater and placing it on the step or lowest point at the side doors. The heat is right in front of the machine and keeps the entire van toasty. The second heater is a backup and I set the thermostat to kick on and off but it really never comes on.

CleanEvo

Like mentioned before air movement is important. Instead of 2 heaters jt would be better to have one heater and a small fan moving air.

Can he fit a heater in the dog house? Over the years I have had a local radiator repair shop fix my heat exchangers for 100-230.

T

The Magician

Orangeforce is correct he needs to find the proper location to mount the heater.

Re: Frozen Hydra Master

Heaters and frozen vans have been discused countless times, but here is my experience. I have always used a nice radiant heater which puts out plenty of heat. The other day the temp got down to 12 degrees. My machine and solution line were fine but my supply line coming from my demand pump was frozen solid becasue it was on the bottom of the floor at the side doors. Placement is very important. I now use a small 15 dollar fan forced heater and place it at the lowest point which is at the side doors right in front of the machine. The heat is directed towards the pump and heat exchangers. I also keep a second heater and place it in the van as usual. I set the thermostat halfway so it will kick on and off. It rarely comes on. Last night the temp got down to around 5 degrees and when I woke up this morning my van was toasty and the second heater was on but not running. This system works for me. Cleaning in weather this cold is a different story.

Ryan

Its 15 here and I am scared to death lol. I have two 1500 watt heaters one pointed at my pump the other at my heat exchanger AND the temp in my van is still only 35-40. I think I need to insulate my next van with something, or tuck my tm in with an old blanket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom