Fuel Conservation Tactics

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Something I did yesterday that might save a little fuel was to wrap, with header tape, the exhaust system from engine block to the exhaust end of the exhaust HX. Today, I cut my rpms by 200, yet gained at least ten degrees ATM vs. no wrap and higher rpms. No noticible loss of vac and a quieter machine.

I'm going to try further reductions in rpms until I find the sweet spot.

Boiler guys could add a HX preheater to save fuel.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Header wrap certainly does help preserve heat, but if your header is made of carbon steel the wrap will probably cause shorter life.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Shane T said:
Header wrap certainly does help preserve heat, but if your header is made of carbon steel the wrap will probably cause shorter life.

Has a little alloy in it. (Weak magnetic attraction.) They used to come from PowerClean wrapped. The last one, not. I've gone through a few of them.

Bjorn

do you really want to save one gas

1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3urhRUeZeFc1]

Becker

Name
Becker
That tells me nothing.

Busy is relative..

$15 per week is not much! What is that.. Like 3.25 gals..
So how many hours in that busy week?

Bjorn

this is about gasoline not propane

what ever a little giant #3 will burn at around 210 degrees at 8 flow

Becker

Name
Becker
The topic was Fuel Odin..

Fuel can be electric, propane, nat gas, oil, coal, wood, on and on..

Fuel = $$

So, if one was looking to reduce gas costs while on site with a electric unit. Passing that fuel cost onto the home owner to run pump and blower etc., yet Propane was still needed to heat the water. What is the cost of fuel then?

Meaning,. My TM burns shy of a gal per hr.
Heat exchanger.

I fill up today for 3.60 per gal.

I can't get around the MPGs on my van. But I can limit my travle.

But on site, my working hrs would be the same.

I'm not knocking your system.. Not at all.

Just interested, in the true savings of the system.

I know propane is not cheap.

I have a gas powered Propane fired TM, but is is short of part time.

I'm about to convert another unit to Propane.

But will be in the market for a new heat excahnged unit.

Just wondering.

Simple question.

If you cant answer.. Perhaps another can.. What does a LG 3 propane burner use in Propane on avg per hr?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
here ya go Becker...its for a 4ht though, so probably a little less

1.2 gph in the Judson / .5 gph in the HX. Les already put the c4 under working conditions for an hour to track the exact gph of propane. In a large truck you can lose up to 33% efficiency using propane, however, it doesn't take much horsepower to turn a blower and a pump if it is set up correctly, about 16. From what I've read on my engine specs, I will lose about 3-4 horsepower running propane on my engine. Under full load the rpm's only drop about 350. Propane is $2.00 gallon here. I'll keep tracking the usage throughout the year.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
I use a little giant 2 ht the water is more than hot and I live it 3 notches below the hottest setting. I use a duel jet wand. A regular size bbq propane tank gets me about 50 hours of carpet cleaning. About $30 per month I am spending.

Burtz

I don't think you were dropped on your head at birth you must hit it every day super dense

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
danielc said:
How can a gas engine run on propane?

sigh....

they are both flammable right???

its a matter of making the propane enter the carb directly...

ifffff memory serves....the heaters use GAS (propane in gasious form) forklifts, buffers, TM motors, even cars, it comes through as liquid...

so on my buffer, when i had them fill the tank, and they over filled it, it literally turned my regulator white (to much liquid)

I am sure Les could chime in....cuz its been a while since i learned the ins/outs when i 1st bought my buffers

Theres the whole boil off point, and what temps they work best in, how many btus you can pull etc. etc..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom