Fuel oil odor

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
Had a local landlord call wanting to clean a sofa and recliner for their tenant. Went to inspect and as I walked in I was overcome by a strong fuel oil odor. Land lord informed me, her half-wit son removed a 125 gal tank from the basement and spilled fuel oil on the dirt floor. The tenant had the dept of health and Encon come and declared the apartment un-liveable until the odor is gone. I walked mainly because the landlord has no $$ and no insurance. gave her #'s to 2 restoration co's. has anyone here dealt with a fuel oil spill/ odor?

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
So, cleaning a sofa and recliner is going to rectify a problem that starts with fuel oil absorbed dirt floor.
They will have to start at the bottom to remove the source (excavation time) and work there way up.

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
Kevin, I agree with you by attacking the source 1st as in any odor issue. I was told all they did was pour some lime over the spot. WTH ?

anthony , great point by doing it by the books. Thanks for the link. anytime the state and fed gov't has their nose in it do everything by their book. I bet you it is gonna be costly for them if they can find someone. but i gave her 2 nice referals of companies who are far more qualified than me.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I haven't had many contaminated soil jobs stay under $10k - but they have all been done by the books.

We lose a boat load to the "contractor who can do it for" - of course without pre or post testing, and any knowledge past how to bucket brigade into a dumpster.

These are the jobs that if the custy can't pay to do it right, and you are going to do the best you can on a budget, you better have 6 different lawyers collaborating to write your claims waivers.

We won't even touch those situations any longer - just not worth the liability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom