Fuel solenoid/Fuel Question

Name
I'm Rick James
I have a 23 hp b&s. It quit running, sounded & acted like it ran out of gas. I took off the fuel filter and there is no fuel in the line. When I turn the power on the pump runs but sounds dry and the fuel solenoid under the carb makes a click sound. Ive read that sensor is a PITA with briggs engines.

Any other reason there would be no fuel to the engine? Jon Don did the tap into the vans fuel line.

Would the fuel solenoid stop fuel being down in the line by the filte & pump under the van?

Van has fuel too. :D

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
With the fuel filter re-installed on the end of the fuel hose coming from the fuel pump, but not connected to the carburator, turn the key switch "ON" (but don't start the engine).

If it squirts gasoline, then all is okay from the filter to the tank. So look at the fuel solenoid and the carb.

If it doesn't squirt, take the fuel filter off and try it again. If it starts to squirt, the fuel filter was clogged. If not, then it's most likely the fuel pump itself.

Name
jack zerkie
My unit had the same type of problem,04 chevy with factory tap.Had problems running and re starting.Maybe if you remove the gas cap from the fuel fill it releases the pressure and fixed my problem. I put the cap on the floor infront of the drivers seat,so that I put it back on after the job, this hint came from Larry Cobb and works for my slide in which is one of his new simple units. Now life is good and SIMPLE. jack z.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Is it possible that the fuel tap line that drops into the tank has separated? I know that when I installed my fuel tap in the filler tube, I wondered how long that fuel dip tube into the tank would last. It was SS braided line, with a weighted filter on the end. Still running.

Name
I'm Rick James
JACK ZERKIE said:
My unit had the same type of problem,04 chevy with factory tap.Had problems running and re starting.Maybe if you remove the gas cap from the fuel fill it releases the pressure and fixed my problem. I put the cap on the floor infront of the drivers seat,so that I put it back on after the job, this hint came from Larry Cobb and works for my slide in which is one of his new simple units. Now life is good and SIMPLE. jack z.

Just went out there, took the cap off and turned the electric on and heard the pump fill with fuel. Damn thing started right up.

You are my hero.

What causes that problem?

Name
I'm Rick James
Duane Oxley said:
How long has it been installed...?

Almost 2 years.

This is the first problem I have had with it. It just happened today for no reason. Worked fine on Friday.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Doesn't sound like it's an install- problem, then. So the gas cap thing may be relieving a symptom, without addressing the cause...

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
wouldnt replacing the fuel cap fix the problem.. arnt they supposed to let air in but not out.. if its messed up it would keep the vacume (because the pump is displacing fuel and making a negitive pressure). so wouldnt replacing the cap fix the issue?

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I go through fuel pumps pretty often, I was wondering if it was the ethanol. I have heard that it makes the gas absorb moisture. The last bad pump i took off actually looked rusted as far in as I could see. I was getting them at jon don. Now I get them for 1/3 of the price at pep boys.

Name
I'm Rick James
C&S said:
wouldnt replacing the fuel cap fix the problem.. arnt they supposed to let air in but not out.. if its messed up it would keep the vacume (because the pump is displacing fuel and making a negitive pressure). so wouldnt replacing the cap fix the issue?

I replaced the cap last summer when I thought I was having pressure issues in the van, that turned out to be a bad sensor on the vans converter.

Should I stop using ARCO gas? Higher octane?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
brent,

I have posted of this problem about the ethanol several times...

The ethanol..DESTROY's...all rubber parts in the fuel pump...also the fuel lines... :evil:

I was replacing in-tank..fuel pumps "at least once a year @ $650.00"....

I put all of my slide-ins ...on seperate fuel tanks...!!!!

Now when the ethanol eats a fuel pump..it is $25.00... :wink:

I have recently purchased the 12 volt fuel pumps from AUTO-ZONE .. for $49.00...
They have a "LIFE TIME" warranty... :D "They are lasting between 50 to 75 hrs.."

The Florida "Fish & Game"...has studied this problem for 18 months..with NO SOLUTION..!
The ethanol is creating Havic...with their marine motors... :x

PS..you will drive yourself "CRAZY"...trying to diagnose this problem.... :shock:
The fuel pump will usually start to give you "signs"...such as you are experiancing before
they completely FAIL... :idea:

Name
jack zerkie
When I had my hydamaster always had problems,this was part of the problem the other main problem was to much heat inside the van even with all th doors open. The design was very bad, due to all the heat from heat exchanger and a catalyic converter in the area of the carb and it pulls in all of the heat. Simple fix plastic line from the carb intake out to the side door and front panel of the van,after this never had a problem. Oh yea I sold the unit and now no problems. The vans fuel system is pressurized from the factory, so by removing the fuel cap it allowes the fuel pump for the truckmount to set its own pressure for the fuel flow. This was not my idea it was from Larry Cobb at Dynachem,for all the years I had problems with my Hydramaster no one even thought of that.When I discovered the heat problem, and the the simple fix, I called them just to let them know.They said I needed a roof vent.wong they just don,t get it I,ll never have another hydramaster. Now life is easy and simple, thank you, Larry! jack z.

Name
I'm Rick James
JACK ZERKIE said:
When I had my hydamaster always had problems,this was part of the problem the other main problem was to much heat inside the van even with all th doors open. The design was very bad, due to all the heat from heat exchanger and a catalyic converter in the area of the carb and it pulls in all of the heat. Simple fix plastic line from the carb intake out to the side door and front panel of the van,after this never had a problem. Oh yea I sold the unit and now no problems. The vans fuel system is pressurized from the factory, so by removing the fuel cap it allowes the fuel pump for the truckmount to set its own pressure for the fuel flow. This was not my idea it was from Larry Cobb at Dynachem,for all the years I had problems with my Hydramaster no one even thought of that.When I discovered the heat problem, and the the simple fix, I called them just to let them know.They said I needed a roof vent.wong they just don,t get it I,ll never have another hydramaster. Now life is easy and simple, thank you, Larry! jack z.

Did you have to replace the fuel pump that is tapped into the main line? I have a propane heater that is away from the TM and heat hasnt been an issue so far with this machine. Things change though...

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Jack,

I had the same problem with my PC 405...It was "Superheating" the fuel...VAPOR LOCK... :!:

My Butler units in July & august...Would built tremendous amounts of pressure in the Tanks..
I had a 99 Butler that "BLEW the cap off in a tech's face..from the extreme pressure.. :shock:

We also would loosen the fuel caps...on those units.. :idea:

You are "spot on"..about manufacturers...not believing the FIX... :cry:

They have ...NO Idea...How HOT these units get in FL......

Name
jack zerkie
The only thing I know is the the fuel pump is mounted horizonal and not verticial on the side of the frame close to the fuel tank. Don,t use to high of a pressure, most parts stores carry them. jack z.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom