Fuel Tap Add On......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
If your truck already has a fuel tap installed for just a feed line, can you just tap into the filler tube for a return line for the newer machines that require a return line?? Has anyone tried this?? Would you do it, or just opt for a new tap kit that includes a return line??

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It partly depends on your locale.

Here in California, it is way to easy for a supplier to get "burned" by short-cutting with unapproved plumbing. If a customer can't get his van passed at emissions test time because of unapproved modifications to the fuel system, then the finger of responsibility tends to leave us in a poor position.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
It partly depends on your locale.

Here in California, it is way to easy for a supplier to get "burned" by short-cutting with unapproved plumbing. If a customer can't get his van passed at emissions test time because of unapproved modifications to the fuel system, then the finger of responsibility tends to leave us in a poor position.

I think I know what your saying, Shawn. There are no emmisions testing in my County. The original tap is a factory tap as of 2003 for a Chevy van.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I'm all for a safe fuel tap but all we need to do in NY to avoid emissions testing is register the vehicle for 8501 pounds.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
It depends on the year and model of your truck and the current tap installed. Most likely there is a chunk of cast aluminum with fittings cut into your fuel filler hose already. Put on your scrubbies, crawl under with a flashlight, and take a look at what you already have.

It should look similar to these nice ones Mr. Cobb sells

View attachment 756View attachment 757

If you are really lucky there may be a provision for a return line already there that is capped.

Or maybe there will be a place with enough beef in the casting where you could pull it out and drill and tap for a fitting, if you are handy at such things.

Assuming the new slide in is fuel injected, and your current slide in has carburetor, you will need to upgrade your fuel pump for the unit as well. Carbs need 4 to 7 psi to operate and fuel injection systems run at 30 to 60 psi. Your existing fuel pump to machine fuel line may need upgraded too.

IMHO - whatever you do - do it right, your fuel system is not something to be trifled with.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
It depends on the year and model of your truck and the current tap installed. Most likely there is a chunk of cast aluminum with fittings cut into your fuel filler hose already. Put on your scrubbies, crawl under with a flashlight, and take a look at what you already have.

It should look similar to these nice ones Mr. Cobb sells

View attachment 756View attachment 757

If you are really lucky there may be a provision for a return line already there that is capped.

Or maybe there will be a place with enough beef in the casting where you could pull it out and drill and tap for a fitting, if you are handy at such things.

Assuming the new slide in is fuel injected, and your current slide in has carburetor, you will need to upgrade your fuel pump for the unit as well. Carbs need 4 to 7 psi to operate and fuel injection systems run at 30 to 60 psi. Your existing fuel pump to machine fuel line may need upgraded too.

IMHO - whatever you do - do it right, your fuel system is not something to be trifled with.

Mine is simular to the middle tap. It isn't cast....it's seem's to be made out of SS, is larger on the filler end, and smaller going into the tank. (which is why it takes so long to fuel up). It has a tube soldered, or welded into place, with a compression fitting to connect to the SS dip tube. I bought it when I bought the Powerclean Genesis back in 2003, and installed it myself. I bought direct from the PC factory in Chicago, and didn't want to wait for installation. I'll probably be looking for an up to date tap to make it right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom