Fun and games

Bob Foster

Got a call to hack out an apartment on a Friggen Sunday afternoon at 4pm
Being the BD I am I said sure

It was a portable job too.

I get there and at the front door of the building there's the moving van - 1/4 full. ( Oh crap this is going to be ugly)

I go up to the 3rd floor and its trashed and not as described and bigger so I wack them with an upcharge (a fair one at that).

So I got roped into doing some geometric gymnastics moving a way too big piece of furniture though a way too small door way into a way too small hallway just so I could start the job.

But

The mover's got the elevator locked out. So I hump the Mytee 1005 Sebo and other crap up three flights of stairs.

For those of you who that don't know the Mytee 1005 has some serious good suck but it needs two separate 15Amp circuits to run. It never fails I always pop a breaker so I look for the electrical panel before I start.

Sure as shit I popped a circuit it in about 3 minutes. So I go to the panel to flip the breaker and what do I find but friggen fuses - FUSES? I figured what the heck there's 5 more so I'll just find another circuit.

Yup you guessed it - Pop again now that's 2 fuses done ( and I'm not going to go look for a hardware store cause its Sunday afternoon and I've already been delayed 3/4 an hour.

The heck with it - find another circuit - Yup - Pop it goes again.

Stove yeah - the stove - they usually have good strong fuses - not this one

I finished the job on one vacuum motor and left them with two fuses.

Then I humped all my crap back down 3 flights of stairs.

Willy - how the hell do you do it? Thank God for truckmounts.

F

FB7777

did you return and replace the blown fuses from your poorly designed portable?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Bob Foster said:
Got a call to hack out an apartment on a Friggen Sunday afternoon at 4pm
Being the BD I am I said sure

It was a portable job too.

I get there and at the front door of the building there's the moving van - 1/4 full. ( Oh crap this is going to be ugly)

I go up to the 3rd floor and its trashed and not as described and bigger so I wack them with an upcharge (a fair one at that).

So I got roped into doing some geometric gymnastics moving a way too big piece of furniture though a way too small door way into a way too small hallway just so I could start the job.

But

The mover's got the elevator locked out. So I hump the Mytee 1005 Sebo and other crap up three flights of stairs.

For those of you who that don't know the Mytee 1005 has some serious good suck but it needs two separate 15Amp circuits to run. It never fails I always pop a breaker so I look for the electrical panel before I start.

Sure as shit I popped a circuit it in about 3 minutes. So I go to the panel to flip the breaker and what do I find but friggen fuses - FUSES? I figured what the heck there's 5 more so I'll just find another circuit.

Yup you guessed it - Pop again now that's 2 fuses done ( and I'm not going to go look for a hardware store cause its Sunday afternoon and I've already been delayed 3/4 an hour.

The heck with it - find another circuit - Yup - Pop it goes again.

Stove yeah - the stove - they usually have good strong fuses - not this one

I finished the job on one vacuum motor and left them with two fuses.

Then I humped all my crap back down 3 flights of stairs.

Willy - how the hell do you do it? Thank God for truckmounts.

Bob it requires 2 20 amp not 2 15 amps. There is a circuit locator on the front of the machine. If the light doesn't turn on it is a no GO. That was explained to you when you bought it right?

Bob Foster

20 Amp - really? Didn't I didn't know that. Thanks John. I guess I should read the manual. Didn't know about the circuit indicators either.

Yes they paid - and with a tip too.

Fred I think this is a very good portable. Please explain why you feel the Mytee 1005 is a poorly designed portable?

F

FB7777

I'm no portable guy, but don't think I'd want to hunt down 2 20 amps circuits for each job. When we ran Bane, although they were very under powered, they were designed to operate on 15 amp circuits for ease of use.

Rarely did we pop circuits or blow fuses, unless we ran two cords and it turned out that both outlets were on the same circuit

Bob I feel for you after reading that post.

If I couldn't use my tm, I would pass on the job unless I had a fivestar.

Every good tm cleaner needs one.

I used one for over a year and never had one complaint. Just complements.

All you had to do Bob was get your 175 or sebo, use a pump sprayer and mist the carpet, aggitate, and pull the fivestar around which weighs about 40 pounds. The carpet would have looked like new. It cleans great and can be used as a spotter or for small upholstery jobs. Plus it can be kept on the truck at all times or loaded very easy, and you don't have to worry about tripping circuit breakers.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE EDIC FIVESTAR for cleaners with tm's that occasionally need a portable.

I haven't found a better solution. A spotter will not clean whole rooms, but the fivestar can be used so many more ways and do a great job.

Bob Foster

Daniel I did use my Sebo. It seemed to make more sense than dragging out my GLS or a 175 for a portable job.

The reason I have a two cord portable is because it performs as well as a truckmount except for the heat. The only compromise is the extra work filling and dumping.

I have a very high standard of cleaning and if a person is refereed to me by a previous customer I want to do my best to deliver the same quality they recieved even when I'm forced to use a portable.

I could have comprised by either using my Whittaker and Hosted with it or I could have used my Orbitec and OPed the place. I was interested in delivering the best clean I could. So even though it took me longer with a hell of of lot of dry stroked and was a total pain in the ass I left knowing that the customer was satisfied.

Looking at the way the halls were kept in this apartment building I know the manager would never have paid me rate if he asked me for a bid. So I really don't give a shit if his crappy building had a suite in it that needed a few fuses. The renter and her obviously better income parents were impressed and suggested they would be contacting me before Christmas to have their carpets cleaned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom