Fun price discussion with old customer getting estimates

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
An old customer called for an estimate. She bought new expensive carpet 4 years ago and has not had it cleaned. She was always worried about price.

My wife told her we had not increased our rate for 5 years, but she wanted an estimate. She said she was getting other estimates, so my wife told her we would be the highest, but we were the best as she should know. She still wanted the estimate, and after 4:30 on Tuesday.

I measure a family room, bedroom, large hall, traffic path in dining and a 3 foot edge cleaning in living room, plus 15 steps. I figured 500 sq ft. Price came to $285. I leave my brochure explaining why we are the best, a fact sheet on carpet cleaning, and two reports on pile reversal.

She calls back on Thursday evening and wants to talk about the price. She had received a bid for $210, and that included a room I did not bid on. Wanted to know what I could do about our price.

I told the lady that I asked my wife why I was going to give an estimate when she was getting other estimates, since if price was the concern, we were not going to get the job.

I asked her if she wanted me to match the other cleaner’s price. I understood that I didn’t have to go that low to get the job.

I said I don’t usually do this kind of thing, but told her I would do the job for $250 instead of $285, thinking I meet her in the middle. Of course then she mentioned the other bid included and extra room. She thought it was about 10x10, but my guess would have been about 12x12. I told her I would go with the original price of $285 but include the extra room at no charge.

She wanted it the cleaning done on Saturday, but I explained that I don’t work Saturdays. She wanted it then on an afternoon, which I understood to be after 4:30. I told her I don’t work evenings, that I rarely go past mid afternoon because I get pretty wore out by then at my age. I also said I can usually get in to clean a number of different ways during the weekday.

Back to price. She said I could have the job for $250 if I did the extra room included, so she was willing to spend $40 more for me to clean than the same area as the other guy, but this would mean about a $100 discount. But she was willing to get me into her house during a weekday.

I just couldn’t bring myself to accept the job, but I did thank her for giving me the opportunity to do so. She mentioned she didn’t know how busy I was. I tried to be of good humor with her, but she did not respond it kind.

I can see her being a problem even if I did the job, but I don’t like working under those conditions anyway. Had a good time with her though. Thought I would share this one with the list.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Those are always tough.
You'd think that after years of service and creating good will it would not boil down to price, but some time it does.

Depending on the circumstances, I would some time ask if them if they need a one time break (sometime they do) and if it a yes, I ask them what they feel comfortable paying me and accept it. They usually ask for less than I am willing to give.

However, if I feel that this is just a negotiating tactic and that from now on, that price level is what they will be expecting, I let them go.

It never feels that good though with old clients.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Loren..

Stick to your gun's...
We have seen more & more of this in this economy... :cry:

I just thank them for the business...and ...Tell them to please call us
back ...if the SERVICE they recieve is NOT up to their expection's.. :!:

THEY ALWAYS COME BACK..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"With their tale's tucked between their legs.." :mrgreen:

Ryan

You have to admit .57 per foot is a little pricey.

Did that include scotch guard?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ryan said:
You have to admit .57 per foot is a little pricey.

Did that include scotch guard?

When you CHARGE enough for your WORK... :idea:

You can AFFORD to fire a cleint "every-once-and-a-while"....

TimP

I would of been more than happy to do it at that price.......if my prices were that high I'd be out of business.

Also I don't let work slip by unless I can tell the customer is giving me a line. I modify how I do the job to suit the customers budget to make us both happy. For someone who is established and is happy with how much they are making this is ok. But for someone like me who don't bring in as much as I'd like I don't let anything pass me by.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I had one of those this week. Only I was able to get the job. The lady got my name from one of my regulars and wanted to know why I was twice as much as another guy she had price shopped. Well after giving her my high quality watch out for bait and switchers spiel she booked with me.

I'm not really a high priced cleaner but some other guy said he would do 4 rooms and stairs for $100. I told her I couldn't stay in business at that price. Guess you win some and you loose some. There's always someone cheaper out there.

Farenheit251

It wouldnt even be about the money for me. The description of what you dealt with just gives me a bad vibe. In the past I took jobs like this and they almost always had a problem or complaint. Now I decline jobs like this even when they agree to my price because I know they are already unhappy before I start.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I start out similarly to you, letting them know that if they are price shopping I'm going to be the highest. That leads to questions which leads to educating the customer.
There was a time when I would bite my tongue and and agree to do the job for less and doing more. It was really hard to break that habit. I think what really helped was learning what the real costs of doing business were and why I needed to charge what I did and that I was actually losing money by doing those "favours". Sure I could do the work for the "$250, losing $35 and the price of the extra room, and it would "seem" like I made money, but it was an illusion.

Enjoy your weekend Loren.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What we would have done would depend on how busy we are.

If were are busy $285.00 is chump change and I'd have held my ground and as you did, thank her for the opportunity to allow us to bid and not look back.

If we were slow then I become the chump and I'd have sent the crew even after 4:30 or on a Saturday at the discounted rate just to keep them busy! LOL

tim

You know better than anyone how much your expenses are and most importantly how long it will take you and how much money you need to make per hour. My problem with price shoppers is this- Discounts are never appreciated, they are more demanding than an appreciative client, they want the discount every time and continue to haggle over additional services, they never agree to add-ons like protectant, they refer similar clients. Sometimes we have to accept that not everyone is our client. That's fine, there are plenty that are. Like Chavez, I find myself a little more humble and flexible in January than in July! :oops: I think you made the right decision.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Doc Holliday said:
What we would have done would depend on how busy we are.

If were are busy $285.00 is chump change and I'd have held my ground and as you did, thank her for the opportunity to allow us to bid and not look back.

If we were slow then I become the chump and I'd have sent the crew even after 4:30 or on a Saturday at the discounted rate just to keep them busy! LOL

Ah....the big difference between the established owner operator and those multitruck 'bad boys' !gotcha!

When we grow up Doc, that is what we want to be.

After, off course, we get over our pipe dream of being Ken Snow.
Only not in pink. :|

Loren you did the right thing, but you could have done that job and had 250 dollars in your pocket. If it was me I would have told the lady I would do the job for a discounted price if she paid cash and understood any future cleanings would be priced higher. I would have done it for 250.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I like to choose who I'm giving a discount to. I gave a quote the other day which came to $780. He wasn't too concerned about the carpets and long term they were getting ripped out, but in the mean time were a mess and needed a good cleaning. I gave him a $120 (15%) discount since it was going to be empty. He appreciated it and booked.
If the custy is going to choose for me, they aren't respecting me and my service. If I walk, chances are I'll get a call some time down the road, maybe even a year or more, and if I don't, others WILL call.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Just thought I would confirm that I was charging 45 cents per square foot and $4.00 per step.

I was just thinking of the contrast in customers. I had one customer last week that I have been charging $918 for the past few years, a little of that was for protection in family, halls, baths, and stairs. She had just spilled some read juice on her carpet, so I dragged my hoses from the back of the house to the front to take care of it right away. She left shortly after that and didn't return all day. She wrote me a check for $1000.00 before she left. I thanked her for the tip. She said she appreciated me for taking care of the juice spill right away.

Bjorn

your just a carpet janitor some of you guys think that this is life and death

I'm sure they can easily find other cleaners at half your price that will do a fine job.

maybe even better?

I would have made a deal with the customer got the job done in no time and still make my 1.30 pm tee time and all for the better

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Odin said:

I'm sure they can easily find other cleaners at half your price that will do a fine job.

maybe even better?

I would have made a deal with the customer got the job done in no time and still make my 1.30 pm tee time and all for the better
Yea.....
But that's because you own the world ugliest carpet cleaning machine. :p

It's a self esteem thingie! :shock:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Odin said:
false pride
The day Terje starts quoting verses from the bible, which I've been seeing coming, I am heading for the hills :mrgreen:

Say it ain't so Brevik :shock:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Nothing wrong with sticking to your price or discounting a little as you offered. Our price would have been about $130ish for that job and we offer 7 day a week service.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ken Snow said:
Nothing wrong with sticking to your price or discounting a little as you offered. Our price would have been about $130ish for that job and we offer 7 day a week service.
You immigrants are so lazy!
DaBurns offers 8 days a week :lol:

Bjorn

“Thinkest thou this to be right, that thou saidst, My righteousness is more than God's?"

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Odin said:

maybe even better?

Ken Snow said:
Yes, they can find someone else. Ken busn is a good example. But Ken's guys and yourself, while you might bang it off in time for tee aren't going to put the time into it that Loren or myself might.
I was talking with Josh (Houston area) today and I thought of something I learned from Joe Polish. 3reasons to spend money, 1-Make money, 2- Save money, 3- Reduce Stress. By not running my truck and devaluing my own service I spent the money of that job by reducing stress.
Every busn has its own reputation and gets called based on that, its a very fragile fleeting thing, easily lost, more so for those that work to a higher standard. People that want that higher level will pay the extra $30. WHo's being the cheapskate for only $30, the customer or the cleaner that walks? Is that cleaner not worth $30 more? IF not, well, that speaks volumes right there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom