Fun time today with Ink Spots....?? on Stain Zone etc

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Had a custy call and dog chewed up ball point pen. 3 Small spots.

They instantly sprayed Arm and Hammer OXY fresh bathroom cleaner on it which made it spread then followed up with 409!..How's that for a combination! :)

Called ServiceMaster of Central Iowa(Been in the family for 3 generations) whom I have taken a few restaurants and quite a bit of work from them in 5 years and are kind of loud mouths. They said it was too cold (-11) with wind chill to run the truck mount hoses so they brought in pixie dust in a spray bottle with a towel. Sprayed it on and custy watched it spread even more. Sorry m'am but we can reccommend someone to patch it from closet.

They called flooring store who said the last resort would be some kind of chemical used in dry cleaning that could ruin carpet???

ServiceMaster called back and said what would you like to do?? Custy says we got guy comin from Best Vacuum Store; heard he can work miracles. ServiceMaster says "If he gets it out, call us back and tell us what he used." Hahaha!!!!!!

I tried everything from Hel Gel to PIG out to OINK to Cyclone and Spot n Boost, Git-Go and Solvent to Aerosol Hairspray to Red Vanish, Stain Zone(which said for pigment dyes? Ink?, Fels Gel, to Sodium Bisulfite etc etc. Ammonia..Magic Bullet...Pretty much everything Spent almost 2 hours on spotting with hand tool and going spotter by spotter..Treating and rinsing.

Lightened quite a bit but not all the way out.

Treated with Stain Zone and packed with Host. Said vacuum in AM and I'll be back tomorrow. I know alot are against Host and like covering 40 Vol with Plastic but I have had soooo much sucess with Red Vanish and/or Stain Zone in conjuction with Dry powder on anything from coffee spills to 10 year old gatorade. 2 or 3 times with treatement/powder and its almost always gone. Alot of times with 1 treatment/powder.

Is Stain Zone good for ink dyes? Should I have used something different than all the things I tried. I let each one dwell for at least a couple minutes. Hel Gel, Magic Bullet and Stain Zone seemed to be the ones I thought that were making the biggest difference.

Thanks dudes and dudettes.

Will post results tomorrow on powder.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I have used non-sudsing ammonia to create my barrier so the stain doesn't spread. There have been instances I had no stain magic available to me. I recommend you use a two part oxidizing product like stain magic when creating your barrier.

You can use a products such as CTI's Ink Out, Prochem's Solv Ink. You want to blot as much as you can until you have no color transfer to a towel. This is going to take a lot of time, be sure to charge for your time, and let your client know there is no easy fix(unless you want to pull fibers and replace). You want to do DRY EXTRACTIONS of the spot every so often. Also only apply DROPS of the product. You can use a medicine dropper, or a q-tip, but this is very important.

After you remove as much ink as you can and there is no color transfer to the towel - use Stain Magic to remove any slight hint of color left.

With the client using their own products, it likely set the stain, as well as pushed it to the backing as well.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Dang. I thought you were going to say you got it out after all that. I've been there a few times also. Work on a deep small ink spot and it explodes and I end up working and fussing with it for another 2 hours. And then I just walk away... bummed. Time for an area rug.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i had a similar job that was on white carpet. i mixed 2 oz of bleach into 8 oz avenge and 45 minutes later it looked like it never happen.

gene

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I sell a lot of different lines and they all want me to say theirs is the best but when it comes to ink nothing and I mean nothing beats CTI's ink out PERIOD only thing you should have used. You will be doing a patch job for sure. You had a chance before you threw the kitchen sink at it. I hope I'm wrong but I'd bet a bottle of ink out I'm not. What really sucks is the tree bugger states can't get it. For those in one of those they have to bootleg it in.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
SOO!!!...this was a medium nylon pile frize carpet also..

they called today and said woww there is just a little bit left...we think if you do the powder again it might take it all out..

so i go right before lunch fast anticipating a tiny amount of blue left...NO BLUE NO INK butttt....discolored and felt very fluffy...texture was gone from going over a gozillion times with the hand tool..i put about 3-5 gallons through that for an hour or two with low psi hand tool and heated US-P cobra..i use it for spotting and upholstery...it smelled diffferent than most of my chems..kinda smelled like her arm and hammer oxy bathroom cleaner which she claims she sprayed only a tiny bit on..it i think yellowed a little bit..maybe yellowing/browning? from excess moisture..powder sat on for about 36 hours with moisture...they had a towel over powder so dogs wouldnt get into it..and force dried it with a heater..

they were very happy..instead of rinsing..which was my gut instinct..maybe with treatment of sodium bisulfite...

i just powdered and stain zoned it again at her request and said in the end should maybe rinse...i hesitated to rinse but thought powder might pull out remaining yellow/brown small spots

should have taken b4 pics but it was alot of ink..spread from her and Servicemaster wetting it..she said the powder was very blue before she vacuumed it...

any advice???

i cant figure out how to post the recent pic of the spot..

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You did good jordon.

Though in the future as Hoody said.. create a barrier around with a stain magic or amonia to prevent spreading. then attack with a good ink remover like John recommended.

And for all the bad things we have said about chemdry, this technique works very well!

Watch the ink remover
2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbiA6kPsd002]

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
sweendogg said:
You did good jordon.

Though in the future as Hoody said.. create a barrier around with a stain magic or amonia to prevent spreading. then attack with a good ink remover like John recommended.

And for all the bad things we have said about chemdry, this technique works very well!

Watch the ink remover
5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbiA6kPsd005]

That's a pretty nice spotting demonstration. I need to get me one of those cone shaped vacuum cuffs. I guess you could rig one up from cutting the bottom off a plastic spotting bottle and cramming it onto the end of your vac line. Notice he was using a Black and Decker wallpaper steamer for the red treatment. I doubt the ChemDry A-hole could get the ink out Jordan was dealing with after all the pretreatments that spread it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The cone attachment looks like it may also have a water line. If you notice they are not cleaning carpet. Looks top be synthetic fabric for the demo. At first (before the fabric lifted at the end) I thought the demo was on a dry erase board.

Interesting that they use a B&D steamer (Stripper).

Around here they don't do kool aid removal because they must of not got the steamer memo.

We all know that an ink line on fabric is a lot easier to get out than an ink blob on carpet. But, it did make a good demo video.

Lesson leaned.

As a note:Those wallpaper stripper are still showing up on E-bay (A couple last week). They are the best. No towel and no way they can melt or burn.

Back
Top Bottom