Garage Floors?

steamron

Name
Ron
I was thinking of using my TM and SX12 on residential garage floors. Has any one been doing it for a while, any tips concerning pressure, chems, etc.?

Thanks

hydracat

I'v done it many times usually before I paint them. don't expect miracles with grease set in concrete. Push for a sealing at least, that will hide some of what dosent come out.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have done some, but have found a regular hard surface wand easier on rough concrete if you do not have a concrete spinner on wheels.

I have also used black pads under a rotary driver to help cut through the gunk.

Just FYI: I know you are looking to clean clients floors, but My shop floor is a professional high end thick epoxy floor and is awesome. Spendy...but easy to maintain and clean.

Best wishes on the new venture.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Yes I have and no I don't. Ran into to many oil deposits and here's how that goes down in my neck of the woods. And to get you to listen to me let me start by saying I clean carpets for the lady who prepares the cases for prosecution for violating the clean water act. How I came to clean for her is another story.

When we clean carpets and stuff inside a house (and here in Sac County that includes the attached enclosed garage) we are by default allowed to dumb our collected crud down into the sanitary sewer system. We do not need a sanitary sewer discharge permit such as is required by folks who perform pressure washing outside.

However you cannot introduce "petroleum" and other hazardous materials into that same system either knowingly or by mistake. If the sewer folks have one of their underground sensors go off, they are very skilled at tracing back where those deposits came from. We have carpet cleaners here that have pressure washed gas stations with their pump out stuck down the sewer who have been tracked down and served up a warm dish of reality.

That being said, yer spinner tile tools do a great job on garage concrete. Ample heat and not a lot of pressure is all you need. It ain't hard. High Ph cleaners with some solvents (exam. citrus) will lube things up nicely. If there's oil deposits and who knows what ever else is down there you can dump yer water passing through an oil absorbing pillow which should keep you out of trouble. Might even give you a warm and fuzzy that you're not killing mother nature.

If you want to know more about this subject contact your local sanitary sewer folks about discharge permits and they'll point towards the B.E.S.T. practices in your area that will help you understand everything about washing, collecting and pretreating as necessary to keep you out of trouble. Stay out of trouble, look professional and carry a flat shovel cause its often piles of dog crap and mystery spills they want you to clean. So don't agree to the job over the phone.

Reactions: Mikey P

JR Harvey

Name
JR Harvey
I also think it's a waste of time. Concrete cleaning is difficult without etching it.

Good luck!

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
I suggest using the brush ring instead of the teflon ring when doing these. Have left some scuff marks on epoxy with the teflon ring.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
don't expect miracles with grease set in concrete..

Be sure to set realistic customers expectations if dealing with dirty automotive fluids on POROUS concrete.

Although improvement is possible, rarely is it possible to not leave shadows when the fluids have settled below the surface, especially if your only getting one shot at it.

Avoid very high heat, as it can "thin out" the embedded fluids, and may set the stains deeper.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
I offer garage floor cleaning to my customers. The goal is not necessary a spot free garage floor. The purpose of the cleaning is to protect their interior hardwood floors and carpeting from the grease and oil being tracked in from the filthy garage floor!!!!

Explain what is happening to the customer. How expensive and inconvenient refinishing their wood floors will be. Same with carpet.

If possible, sell service to the husband. Wife will think husband will clean it. Husband will not want to clean it.

Reactions: KevinL and Mikey P

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Paul how are you cleaning concrete?

pre-spray, often scrub with Trinity using Astroturf pad, then Turbo hybrid.

More or less as this Interlink video, plus the OP scrub.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/he9AwRDnCJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Be sure to set realistic customers expectations if dealing with dirty automotive fluids on POROUS concrete.

Although improvement is possible, rarely is it possible to not leave shadows when the fluids have settled below the surface, especially if your only getting one shot at it.

Avoid very high heat, as it can "thin out" the embedded fluids, and may set the stains deeper.
I agree with Frank. IF you properly pre-qualify before hand garage floors can be a great add-on sale. What's not to like? You are already there (the hoses may actually be running thought the garage!), super profitable and it is super easy to do a demo. Best way for them to have "realistic expectations" is ask them where the dirtiest area is and then do a side by side cleaning demo versus the clean area. Once the "ooh and ah" by default they are accepting your effort as more than enough.

One hint: Unless you have pre-scheduled the GF cleaning then quote the add-on sale as "all open areas since of course that is where all the oil and dirt is to be tracked in". Otherwise you'll be moving all their crap OR waiting on them to do it.

Steve

PS Be sure to click on the video link in this Garage Floor Add-on Sale QuickTIP of Big Billy Yeadon cleaning Jon-Don's loading dock area. (You don't get much nastier than that!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom