Gas Mileage

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I am getting currently 6MPG. A Sprinter Box truck can get 18MPG. Is it worth the move to get out of my old ride into a new ride?

Golden Boy

A. wilson

I'm getting 16 to 18 MPG in my '06 Chevy with a BlueWave and the small V-8 in it. At $3 a gallon, it shouldn't take you long to offset that crappy 6 mph. Even taking into account a van payment.

I'm sure maintenance isn't cheap on that ambulance either.

Jester

That's a big difference and you will defiantly notice it every time you fill up but it would take a while for it to pay off in the long run but for a newer more spacious vehicle it might be worth it to you. If your old ride is older and has alot of miles on it I would go for the new ride.

G

How many miles a day do you drive on average. A new truck will have a payment and the insurance on the vehicle will be more. You need to take that into account.

Dave

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The Sprinter is Diesel, (all the ones I have seen anyway) so you would need a diesel truck mount or another fuel tank.

The Sprinter looks very cool and the Fed X guys around here like them alot.

Is the 6mpg including running the TM? If so the Sprinters 18mpg would go way down with a TM burnig fuel.

Jimbo

Today's fill was 5.04 gallons of diesel...116 miles= 23 mpg

2006 Duramax diesel Chevy Extended van...packed to the gills.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Most of us are just guessing MPG for the truck and GPH for the truckmounts. Most pure mpg calculations are done on a trip as well, giving optimistic numbers.

On slow weeks in February we've tried to use the "backup" truck just for estimates and inspections so we can get a typical few days driving for mpg calculations without tm hours.

Likewise on a big all-day project we have refilled the tank with gas close by to get a more accurate gph figure on the TM.

They make meters to confirm this, but I'll never get around to it. We've got the 405 tuned to 1.3 gph on level one, and 2.1 gph on level two. We seldom need level three except for short bursts of "too hot".

The vans (ford 4.9) get about 11.6 mph moderately loaded, and almost 15mpg with empty tanks on the interstate. Usually for those trips we also run minimal extra "stuff" on the truck and higher tire pressure.

Bob Foster

Waldo, I've read mixed reports on that Sprinter. Many think its a POS and also it is a very narrow van.

You might want to consider a GMC W3500 and box instead and I think you will get better utility and also good mileage for about the same price.

Bob Foster

Sorry I missed that.

Thinking the same thing as you are and went and checked this unit out yesterday. Turbo Diesel ex water truck with 4 foot roll up doors on each side with a 14 foot box

This unit will clean up real nice. Box will have a wrap on it that will hide the scapes quite well. Everything else can be staightened out. The unit would look new when I finished with it (If I get it.)

Making my mind up between this and a new W4500 and a 14 foot box.
757dfbb4.jpg

7cfe525e.jpg

a5725e32.jpg

fdb0e73c.jpg

KBRENNY

I went from a 1995 3/4 ton ford van with a 5.8 v8 loaded to the rafters with equipment to a 2000 ford 8' x 15' ft box truck with a 5.4 v8(same equipment plus 2 more fans and two dehumidifiers). The day I bought the truck I had my furthest and largest regular job so I used my 1995 van and I saved the gas receipt to compare. 6 weeks later and my new van is up and going and time to do the same job again. I used 15.2 gallons in the 1995 and 14.9 in the larger 2000 box van.

The Preacher

i hear a certain Minnesotan carpet cleaner has a Chevy Dura Max diesel van and loves it!!!

now i wish i woulda kept my Kubota diesel TM and had Greenie pimp it for me and put it in a Dura Max van :x

-JB-

Name
JB
Waldo,

Why not just get a old amboolance?

Oh wait, nevermind.

1053.jpg

ambulance.gif

PS-
I get like 12mpg w/the Gremlin, 25mpg when I draft the semi's, I always try to draft, maybe you should too! :wink:

minuteman

Waldo, if you are going Diesel go with the Chevy Dura Max Diesel ,get it without the Van body, stripped, and go have a box put on it you will save about 6k if you do it that way. All I keep hearing is they will out preform anything out dare.

Bob, that Ford looks like a nice deal, I like the two side roll up doors, you could do a lot with that. Ford Diesels have a good rep for long service life.

When I jumped into my Ford box truck, all of the diesels I looked at where junk, just abused, so I went gas, and like Waldo 8.5 to tha gal. no matter what.

Greg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a 7.2 liter ford 350 turbo charged diesel and I get about 15 miles to the gallon and I haul my own water.
It is a 14x8 box standing 10'6" tall

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
oh shit!!!!! a chev van with a dura max??? and you can have just the cab and frame....

that right there my friends will be the next big thing....period

seperate gas tank be damned id go with the diesel in a half a heart beat

Name
Ron lippold
Bob I say jump. The increase in exposure will be well worth the cost. It's all about exposure. Good move, get the box truck.

Next will be a Vortex.

Supreme Bodies

Hey Guys,

I've been working with Supreme Bodies in Atlanta, and they are a very big Sprinter Chassie distributor. We are trying to come up with a super neat carpet cleaning truck. They custom make the bodies just about any way you would like. I'm posting a concept that I've been working with them on. I noticed in a previous post by Mikey, about what is it worth to be a member in Mickey's Board. One of the biggest advantages, I think is purchasing power. If I'm talking to Supreme about buying one or two trucks, and as big time as they are, that's no big deal. But if I tell them that there is and organization that has as many members as you have, so far, that could use one of their setup's, I think that would get their attention. Take a look at the pictures and if it's something that you would like, then I can pursue this further for you guys. Also, I'm posting some units that we have done with some Sprinters. Tommy with McCords Carpet Cleaning, has one of our diesel units and is carrying a 250 gallon water supply tank. After he picked up outfitted system from me, he drove it to Raleigh to show it off at a school at Sunbelt, USA. It got 26 1/2 miles to the gallon. Also, he went 80,000 miles before putting a set of brakes and tires on it, and the tires wore even. The Sprinter is a very stable vehicle, with all that weight, I drove it and swayed the truck left and right abruptly and it had virtually no roll. I am also, putting a photo of a neat European van I saw, just for the fun of it.

DSCF0178N23LO.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

66_111.jpg

Picture1819499751.jpg

Picture1819499741.jpg

untitledddd.jpg

Greenie

wow!
the last pic that Les posted is a sweet van, it would pull lots of attention.

The box sprinters look a little dorky, but utility is obviously their strength, but just like the VAT trucks they all need a larger powerplant, they kinda drag ass.

-JB-

Name
JB
Love the first Sprinter w/the utility box on the back, very use full, esp. w/all the access doors, and it's all most as pretty as my Gremlin!

efe41ca3.jpg

minuteman

Bob, with the W4500 it should still have the factory warranty and should be transferable which is a plus, the side doors are cheap, I paid $800.00 for a 4' w x 6' h side swing door installed on mine, included a step and a grab handel. The W4500 dose not look (by the pics) to have the rivets on each panel of the box like the Ford which is a bitch to cover with the graphics.

If its $'s go with the Ford its ready and set to take on anything you could want to do.

The Sprinter w/box is what it is and still lacking in room, looks nice but what about expanding your co. an extra shelve unit,air movers,d hues, you have to look at the long haul.

Good luck, Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom