Gas odor

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Every morning when I get in the truck it smells like gas. My fuel pump is mounted inside the rear of the van on the wall. Should I put in a fuel shut off by the motor?

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Could be 101.5 things. Need loads of info about your set-up to even begin to diagnose.

The one thing that is for certain is if you are smelling it, you have a problem waiting to burn.

If you are going to continue to use it, especially with a broken exhaust header - I'd make sure the insurance tab is paid up to date.

I'd start with turning the tm key to the on position and letting the fuel system pressurize a few times and see with everything cold if you can find a leak.

Might be time to start looking at the time you are spending on repairs, and the costs for parts - see if a payment on a newer or better system doesn't make sense.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Hose and pump are all new. It is a 97 dodge van extended. The hose comes in the van right above the fuel tank and the pump is mounted on the wall of the van about 4 inches up. No leaks. I have checked all of the hose clamps. It's only in the morning that it smells. Once we air out the van it's gone. At the end of the day now I turn off the fuel pump and run the motor so the line has no pressure in it to see if that helps.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
How is it tapped? Fill port tap? Someone make some sort of a custom tap, was there a factory tap?

How is it coming through the floor, just through a hole or is it the proper through floor fitting set-up?

Do you have a return line, every efi unit I have ever seen and even most of the carb'd ones have some sort of a return, is it maybe supposed to be there and not?

Is it a carb'd TM? Maybe the float valve is bad or sticking. Have you checked the air filter to see if you have a stronger odor in that area or if it is wet?

Lot's of possibilities - you should never smell raw fuel to a degree where you have to air it out. A lock solenoid spark opening the door with a keyless fob, interior bulb spark..... maybe sounds ridiculous - but you don't want to be on the news for a van that caught fire and took out a structure or customers car in driveway.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
The odor is only in the morning after it has been closed up. White magic fuel tap. There is a 1/4 stainless line through the floor of van. No hoses rubbing on metal. No return line. It is a 22 hp kohler carb.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
holy shit Lewis...WTF kinna black magic voodo machine you runnin' there?
Was a old steam way. Made a new frame and put all new gauges, hoses, wires. This thing has been more of a pita than my pto. Looking at buying a new 27 hp kohler and have a few stress free days.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I had the same situation and was told by Powerclean it should have fuel injection fuel line on it. It didn't. I replaced it and have never had a problem since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Was a old steam way. Made a new frame and put all new gauges, hoses, wires. This thing has been more of a pita than my pto. Looking at buying a new 27 hp kohler and have a few stress free days.

You should stick with a pto. Smelling gas can lead to this (today at 5:20 about a mile from my house while I was trying to nap):View attachment 1559

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom