Gas smell?

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
A lady called today who had a bunch of gas spill in the back of her SUV and that its been over two weeks and the gas smell is still there.

Any good reccomendations to get gas smell out of vehicles?

Thanks.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I had it happen in my sons trunk. Tried and never got it out completely had to remove it.

hydracat

Water and gas don't mix, but gas and alcohol do. Flood with ethyl, methyl, or Isopropol. This will allow more of the gas to be extracted. Then go to walmart and get some diesel gas stink remover in the auto dept. I bought some yesterday cause I was cleaning my heater filter and it work pretty good.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its a difficult clean up and a serious problem for the owner to have. Don't get fooled by what you see because its what you don't see that bites you.

The problem is there are so many nooks and crannies for gas to pool in. There are plugs that can be removed and rocker panels that can be removed to allow access to recessed areas that have residue. Even once the liquid is gone the residue gas odor will be present until you clean all the metal and plastic up. Even then on a hot summers day with the windows up you may still get aw whiff of odor.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

tcdepot

Name
The Cleaner's Depot
Here's a question for guys that have dealt with it: After you've removed what you can and cleaned what you can, would there be any benefit to using an ozone generator for a few hours to help remove the odor?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You'd want to be sure than the source of the odor has been addressed thoroughly.

Ozone doesn't penetrate well so you may just be cleaning up the air space more than the source of the odor. If you already own a generator I'd go ahead and give it a shot. Just do it for short periods and air it out before reoccupying the vehicle.

tcdepot

Name
The Cleaner's Depot
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thoroughly clean everything you can, replace what needs to be replaced and throw an ozone generator in there for an hour or two.

If that doesn't work, add a little more gasoline and a match and walk away like this:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Hi concentrations of ozone (easy to do in a confined vehicle) can easily damage pliable materials in the vehicle. Stiffens some plastic and synthetic rubber for example.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Very easy to remove the gas smell.

First get a signed waiver that final results may vary the structure of the carpet and "other adjacent items", but the gas smell will definitely be gone

All you need is some flint, a striker and a $150 pair of good running shoes.....

(I wouldn't suggest smoking either while doing any of this!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom