Getting started with a portable.

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Well I only sometimes use my mytee hot turbo electric heater, if it's if a job where i park the portie on the front porch or in the garage and not gonna have to move it at all to do the job i'll take the extra 10 seconds to connect it, otherwise forget it

Nick Wiebe

Name
Nick Wiebe
I just used the EDIC Galaxy 2000 (12 gallon) portable carpet extractor with the external heater to clean a really nasty rental house and it did an amazing job. One cord runs the extractor without the heater and one cord runs the heater. In the unlikely event of a heater failure, it is simple to remove and keep working. Lots of recovery power with the dual vacuums and plenty of cleaning power with the 500 psi adjustable pump. You can get this unit for under 3K!

If you need more capacity, the Galaxy Pro is 17 gallon with the same external heating system, vacs and pump.

These portable extractors are tough, top performers, well supported by the EDIC team and distributor network and have the a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

I have a video of some killer results with this unit if you would like to see it hit me up via email since I can't post a link here. nickrw@gmail.com

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Nick, check the jet size on your wands. The Triton wand comes stock with 2 11001 jets. In my opinion, that's not enough water flow to flush the carpets. you might want to upgrade to 11015 jets which will reduce your pump pressure but increase your water flow. Your heater will struggle to keep up. I actually use 2-11002 jets but I have a bigger pump. I start in the middle of a room and work to the wall, then dry stroke back to the middle again, which gives my heater time to recover. Slow down your dry strokes, you will remove more dirty water and give the heater time to get up to temperature. I really like the EDIC machines and am looking at adding a 17 gallon to my arsenal.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Getting a Rotovac hooked up to whatever portable you get will make the biggest difference in your cleaning results

Really? I call bull biscuits :bull:. I tried that, pressure dropped from 400 to 60 psi - and that was with the smallest jets I could find - from rotovac, carpets were at least a 24 to 36 hour dry to the point they started to smell because the recovery was at best 40 to maybe 50% even after dry wanding and not one customer seemed delighted with what was done. How it works with a truck mount might be different, but I strongly doubt a rotovac is going to make ANY reputable portable operator any better. I realize your job is to sell more units, but that's just plain wrong.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Willy you just have to be that contrarian. After years in the iindustry you could easily have gone to a TM---yet you love your porties. Then when others recommend a Roto to work with a porty you say no way... So what do you use to agitate? I use the keyboard...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
Really? I call bull biscuits :bull:. I tried that, pressure dropped from 400 to 60 psi - and that was with the smallest jets I could find - from rotovac, carpets were at least a 24 to 36 hour dry to the point they started to smell because the recovery was at best 40 to maybe 50% even after dry wanding and not one customer seemed delighted with what was done. How it works with a truck mount might be different, but I strongly doubt a rotovac is going to make ANY reputable portable operator any better. I realize your job is to sell more units, but that's just plain wrong.

No wonder the Canadians could't field a Stanley Cup team. Bunchadufuses.

80psi is about all you need to run a brush head RV with a portable.
As usual with a porty you'll need a bit more chems and time but the end results will be excellent with quick dry times.

Just ask @Art Kelley and @GeeeAus

Willy P

Name
Willy P

As usual with a porty you'll need a bit more chems and time but the end results will be excellent with quick dry times.

It was the dry times that were the deal breaker. I could wand my ass off and still not get much better than 50%. Yeah, it cleaned ok, but there was too many trade offs. My 175 worked well on an ugly with a rinse. But I'm really digging the CRB.

Willy you just have to be that contrarian. After years in the iindustry you could easily have gone to a TM---yet you love your porties. Then when others recommend a Roto to work with a porty you say no way... So what do you use to agitate? I use the keyboard...
A 175 with a carpet brush. Had quite a few Host machines, like my CRB, used a Sebo Duo. Wait for the new/old Willieized porty coming soon.....

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen

So let's say money IS an object and I wanted to use a rotary. But (hypothetically) I'm an impoverished grandson of Scots and dread wasting a penny.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage of springing for a 360i over the Powerwand? Would an EDIC Galaxy (my beloved porty) drive either? Would a Mytee Air Hog be a better driver? How about Rotovac's piggyback RX system?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Durned curious elves... I suspect they are pussing out on having to wand soiled carpets.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The main difference is ease of use. The powerwands do work and do dig out stubborn soil. You have to go up and down then move over and do the same again. The rotovac with the brush head works like a floor machine. You swing side to side like a 175. You have to do as many dry passes as required by the strength of your vac system. A tip for better extraction with a power wand? Turn off the brush when doing dry passes. I have several powrflite powerwands that have a toggle switch to control the brush. They work extremely well but are slower than a rotovac 360. Turn your pump pressure down until your static pressure matches your actual pressure under full flow to avoid pump damage. Doesn't apply to diaphram pumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Coastie

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Rebuilds all the way around. Too much stupid money on too many players that aren't worth it. Canucks are still eating part of Luongo's idiotic salary for a big cap hit, Benning's a moron and Linden can't speak without Bennings hand up his wazoo. Alberia teams, I dunno. With all those first rounders, the oilers should be raising a cup, Calgary? Maybe in a few, Montreal needs a healthy Price, Toronto is feeble, Winterpeg mediocre at best - big and strong, but no finesse. Gonna be a few years

Back
Top Bottom